Top 10 Posters

attaching binding

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 61 Replies | 16 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
9 Posts
Points 855
Jenn posted on Thu, Sep 16 2010 9:00 PM

I am on my third quilt, and I'm trying to figure out if I can successfully attach binding by machine, but on my last quilt it looked terrible....so bad, I will have to take it apart and start over.

Are there secrets to attaching the binding by machine and having the seems look nice on both sides, can it be done, or is attaching by machine and then attaching to the back by hand the best way?

• | Post Points: 275

All Replies

Top 500 Contributor
Female
203 Posts
Points 3,135
Peggy replied on Wed, Oct 27 2010 10:02 AM

I still sew my binding onto the front, bring it around to back and had stitch it shut.  My biggest problem is mitered corners still practising on that.

I like the idea of decorative stitching the binding.  I get so many ideas from this site, I now keep an idea book in my sewing room with all the different patterns I have located on this site.   I am on my fifth 3 ring binder.

Here is Minnesota we are having our first major storm of the year.  High Temp is 37 degrees above zero.  Seems like it came from fall to winter in one day.  good day to quilt and make soup.

Hope everyone has a good day.

from Minnesota

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
29 Posts
Points 580
barbe replied on Wed, Oct 27 2010 10:24 AM

I am new to quilting and just finished a table runner.  If you purchase the Fons & Porter Learning to Quilt, it has a DVD and is the best thing.  It shows in detail how to do the binding.  I wish I would have had it when I did the table runner.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
230 Posts
Points 6,005
Sharon replied on Wed, Oct 27 2010 10:27 AM

Here is more info I found about the tips on www.quiltingboard.comI. "I think you need the 4 oz bottle. As for the tips, just take the end off of a .5 or .9 mechanical pencil. I removed the orange "cover" from the bottle, and screwed on the pencil tip and it works great. Also, I do thin the glue just a bit with water. Still works the same but comes out much easier." and from JoAnn's "In the crafts section, near the acrylic paints bottles and other glues. I had a hard time finding them too. I had a friend with me who spotted them. The package is not very large, maybe 4" x 3" and it hangs. Look for "Folk Art Enamels" at Joanns, they are little bottles of craft paint. Should be in that area, it is considered an "accessory" for the paints."

Sharon

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,834 Posts
Points 248,829
Barbara replied on Wed, Oct 27 2010 10:29 AM

Peggy,I'm not to far away in Missouri, PLease please keep your nasty winter up there  LOL. We had a teriible windy day yesterday and they are talking about frost or freezing this week  ugh!!  The soup sounds good  and the quilting is just natural ...Don't want to be cold in Missouri...Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,702 Posts
Points 179,708
Marie replied on Wed, Oct 27 2010 11:29 AM

Thanks Sharon, I'll check in that dept. next time I go to JoAnne's.  Very clever idea about the mechanical pencil tip.  I'm also going to try that one.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,741 Posts
Points 436,650
Nana replied on Wed, Oct 27 2010 11:58 AM

Spud

I finally had a chance to watch the binding an angel video.  Excellent tutorial.  I have actually used glue once but didn't do it that way.  I really like her method as well as her explainations.  Thanks so much for sharing.  I saved that post to favorites so that I could find it again.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

Sharon of Raleigh:

Spudgrandma:
If you find them before I do let me know where cause I really want to try this method.

I just did a quick google search. Someone on an APQS forum said she found them at Michael's. Race ya!

I'm going to go to JoAnns and Michael's later today if I get a chance.  I really want to give this a try.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

Nana:

Spud

I finally had a chance to watch the binding an angel video.  Excellent tutorial.  I have actually used glue once but didn't do it that way.  I really like her method as well as her explainations.  Thanks so much for sharing.  I saved that post to favorites so that I could find it again.

I used the glue method once, it was the glue that does not wash out, and it worked pretty good.  I think this will be better and I like the fact that it washes out.  I also think the ironing will make it work much better and look neater.

Top 500 Contributor
230 Posts
Points 6,005
Sharon replied on Wed, Oct 27 2010 2:31 PM

Spudgrandma:

I'm going to go to JoAnns and Michael's later today if I get a chance.  I really want to give this a try.

Turns out both my local Michaels and Joann are smaller versions and do not carry the tips. SO, I got Elmers School Glue, found a .7 mechanical pencil I could destroy, and went to work. The tip of the pencil fit great (after I removed the elmers tip) and puts out a nice thin bead of glue. Actual test on binding will occur later. Here are some pics:

Remove pencil tip, and Elmers tip. Pencil tip fits - press/screw it on good and tight. Clean the tip well after use. DH suggested putting plastic wrap over bottle opening and pressing on the pencil tip to store. Clever guy.

Sharon

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,741 Posts
Points 436,650
Nana replied on Wed, Oct 27 2010 2:59 PM

Sharon

Awesome.  Thanks for the tip.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

Sharon of Raleigh:
DH suggested putting plastic wrap over bottle opening and pressing on the pencil tip to store. Clever guy.
  Thanks Sharon, maybe I will just look for the mechanical pencil.  I usually put a straight pine, one with the little balls on the end, into the opening and then put it is a zip lock to store.  But I may put my straight pin and then the plastic and the pencil tip and see how that work.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,541 Posts
Points 416,959
gini replied on Wed, Oct 27 2010 10:01 PM

great tip sharon,  thanks   gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,541 Posts
Points 416,959
gini replied on Wed, Oct 27 2010 10:02 PM

sharon, could you tag this    thanks   gini

gini in north idaho

Top 500 Contributor
230 Posts
Points 6,005
Sharon replied on Thu, Oct 28 2010 7:34 AM

Gini, tags have been added.

Sharon

Not Ranked
2 Posts
Points 10

Thanks so much for the advice! I am also looking for a way to improve my "sewn on" binding and this sounds great!  I just ordered the booklet and DVD!!

:)

Page 4 of 5 (62 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use