Top 10 Posters

attaching binding

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 61 Replies | 16 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
9 Posts
Points 855
Jenn posted on Thu, Sep 16 2010 9:00 PM

I am on my third quilt, and I'm trying to figure out if I can successfully attach binding by machine, but on my last quilt it looked terrible....so bad, I will have to take it apart and start over.

Are there secrets to attaching the binding by machine and having the seems look nice on both sides, can it be done, or is attaching by machine and then attaching to the back by hand the best way?

• | Post Points: 275

All Replies

Top 500 Contributor
Female
203 Posts
Points 3,135
Suggested by bhhubl@msn.com

Very pretty quilt and great idea for binding.

I also sew it on the back and bring forward but I always hand sewn it from there.  But I'll try it your way.  Thanks

from Minnesota

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
33 Posts
Points 230
Linny replied on Mon, Oct 4 2010 6:41 PM

Having tried both ways, I always machine sew the binding on then hand stitch the back. It just looks so much nicer

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Points 65

I totally agree that a hand quilted binding is the neatest and nicest - but if you are looking for "speed" you can machine stitch it down.  That's why I gave the suggestion about sewing it by machine on both sides.

Not Ranked
8 Posts
Points 55

Try using the blind hem stich. It takes a little practice and I still need to tack the corners down by hand but it is much faster and much more sturdy. I use a very small bite over into the quilt and most of the stitching is on the binding. I find that a 2 1/2 inch strip, then folded in half works best. I also use the walking foot when I do this.

First sew the binding on the front of the quilt like normal.

Second, pin the binding on the right side making sure it is even .

Then, pin the binding on the back side with the sharp end of the pin away from the center of the quilt (so that when you turn it under you can remove the pins as you sew). I pin every one inch or so. It is like wrestling with a porcupine when you are working with it.

Turn the binding edge under so that the pin heads are now facing your right hand.

Sew from the top to the bottom removing a few pins as you go. Use your fingers to smooth the fabric and keep the binding smooth as you go.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
20,100 Posts
Points 252,014

Ladies ,everyone has come up with so many wonderful ideas, It has been like opening presents just reading everyones ideas about binding .thank all of you for sharing with all of us .Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,852 Posts
Points 247,222
Thea replied on Tue, Oct 19 2010 4:53 PM

Barbara - I did a pictoral tutorial on how I do bindings a few months ago - or maybe a year...

Althea's binding tutorial.

I have never had a problem doing my bindings since I learned this method - hope it helps you - I don't very often do bias bindings mostly do straight of grain - but for both I sew the strips together and put it on in the same way... bias you just have to be careful not to stretch. 

Once I found the method of folding the 2 pieces and laying them down and matchng up those folds I have never had to frog and restitch - it works perfectly.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
20,100 Posts
Points 252,014
Barbara replied on Wed, Oct 20 2010 10:48 AM

Thea that was really great ,I do just what you do for my binding ,When I first started quilting I got the little workbook that Marianna Fons and her daughter did on making your first quilt.That was how they did it in the workbook so thats how I learned it . I didn't know about using the 3/8 seam,though I like that idea ..Added this to my favorites...Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,852 Posts
Points 247,222
Thea replied on Thu, Oct 21 2010 6:26 PM

I am not sure why I started using 3/8" instead of 1/4" but heard it from someone and if I think about it I think it was when I was going to put Moondance in the quilt show - I was told that one of the things the judges judge on is the fullness of your binding... and someone recommended the 3/8" - so that is what I use now and I added it up and came up with the 2 1/4" strip width... then the ending part - I always wondered how to figure that out and came up with that cute trick - at least I thought it was a new trick till I talked with someone and they said everyone does that - I said well why do they keep it a secret then as I was never told... just given a formula for making my bindings and figuring out how much I needed...

I also don't sew off the side like I was originally taught but go off to the corner... found that it makes the miter look so much better ...all tried and true over and over tricks and tips that I have found.  I don't usually worry about measuring for the piece that much...  Thea Jirak has a great little tool and book that figures all that out... I just cut the enough for what I think I will need - and the extra I just wind on a toilet paper roll cuz I usually have the same color material for other quilts and sometimes will sew all those strips together for bindings on scrappy quilts...... no waste

Top 500 Contributor
233 Posts
Points 6,065
Sharon replied on Sat, Oct 23 2010 2:23 PM

Judy:

I am of the old scholl and prefer to blind stitch the binding on the back side. Actually I really enjoy doing it!  Have done it for friends who do not like to do the blind stitcing.   Have you ever gone to a quilt store and looked at the quilts hanging?  I always look at the binding.  Have been at stores where the binding was done very poorly and it makes me think that would not be an especially good place to take a class.  I could be a bit of a snob about that. :)

Ah, Judy, a woman after my own heart. I, too, love binding! After watching numerous videos online about a year ago, I put together my favorite techniques and now my bindings are pretty good. When quilts are on display, I look at the binding first, and usually decide I could do better! Ha. The Fons & Porter method of joining the tails works great. I don't use their tool - just a good ol' ruler. And I usually make 1/2" binding (3 1/4" strip to allow for quilt thickness). It can become a design feature with a complementary fabric. Since I love binding and the process of blind stitching it to the back by hand, I have become the binding queen for my local Quilts of Valor guild. Fun, fun!

Sharon

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,445 Posts
Points 127,669

I had watched a video about a year about about using glue to do your binding and I tried it on a baby quilt and it worked okay, but I saw this video a couple of days ago using Elmers School glue and it looks intriguing I cannot wait to give it a try.  Binding the Angel  I think there are 3 parts, well worth the time to watch. Even if you don't use the glue it is a great tutorial.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,781 Posts
Points 180,703
Marie replied on Tue, Oct 26 2010 7:12 PM

Spudgrandma:
using glue to do your binding

Wow Spud, I just got around to watching this method, it's great!  Thanks for posting.  I have some school glue but it doesn't come with the tip that she used, do you know where I can get one?

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,445 Posts
Points 127,669

Hi Marie,  I don't have one yet either.  They have the empty bottles here glue bottle  (scroll about half way down the page there is a set of 4 bottles) I am going to look at Lowes or Home Depot, they may have them for applying woodworking glue or maybe a craft store.  If you find them before I do let me know where cause I really want to try this method.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,781 Posts
Points 180,703
Marie replied on Tue, Oct 26 2010 8:02 PM

Spud, I will if I find it.  I bought my school glue at Joanne's but it didn't come with that tip.  I'd also like to try this method if I ever layer a quilt top!  Have at least four to do.  In time I guess.

Millbury, MA

Top 500 Contributor
233 Posts
Points 6,065
Sharon replied on Wed, Oct 27 2010 9:41 AM

Spudgrandma:

Spud. Just watched the video. Isn't angel quilt amazing! I found myself admiring the quilting - how beautiful. And I thought I was picky about binding! I must give this technique a try. Does anyone know where to get the glue with that tiny little tip? Michael's maybe?

Sharon

Top 500 Contributor
233 Posts
Points 6,065
Sharon replied on Wed, Oct 27 2010 9:51 AM

Spudgrandma:
If you find them before I do let me know where cause I really want to try this method.

I just did a quick google search. Someone on an APQS forum said she found them at Michael's. Race ya!

Sharon

Page 3 of 5 (62 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use