Top 10 Posters

attaching binding

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 61 Replies | 16 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
9 Posts
Points 855
Jenn posted on Thu, Sep 16 2010 9:00 PM

I am on my third quilt, and I'm trying to figure out if I can successfully attach binding by machine, but on my last quilt it looked terrible....so bad, I will have to take it apart and start over.

Are there secrets to attaching the binding by machine and having the seems look nice on both sides, can it be done, or is attaching by machine and then attaching to the back by hand the best way?

• | Post Points: 275

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,239 Posts
Points 239,682
Thea replied on Sat, Sep 18 2010 10:22 AM

The tool I was talking about earlier that does the binding is the Zip binding system - it is made by Martelli... it says perfect binding first time every time... it has clips and thingies that you use to make your binidng form 1/4" to 1 1/2" hand binding... but it is all done on the machine...they have another tool that goes along with it called the Stitch n ditch - binder foot with 4 fences - adustable 1/4" to 1" binding...

I have seen this demonstrated but never used it myself.  I did buy it a few years ago in preparation for that day when my hands no longer allowed me to hand stitch... I hope that day is a long way off but in knowing that it will come before I know it i wanted to be prepared....

with this system you don't miss those stitches and it makes everything look fantastic and is done with your machine.

you can check it out at www.Martellinoitions.com or www.ourquiltingspace.com

I hope that this helps anyone out who would like to do perfect bindings on their machine.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,414 Posts
Points 61,767

Jenn-

I haven't had very good luck with attaching to both sides by machine, but I know that others here will be able to help you get the looks you want.  I usually machine stitch the binding to the front and hand finish on the back.

Kissimmee, FL

Not Ranked
Female
3 Posts
Points 15

You can try using a decorative stitch, like a feather stitch, on the top, that catches the binding on the back.  I especially like to do this on quilts that will be handled and washed a lot, like a baby quilt.

Not Ranked
2 Posts
Points 25

I sew my bindings on by machine and they look good!  I cut 2 1/2 inch strips, fold in half, and sew on the back of the quilt using the center needle position (standard foot).   on the front, I wrap the binding just barely over the previous stitching and sew down using a left topstitching foot (I have a Viking).  On the corners, I fold the miter and put a pin long ways along the binding to hold the fold in place and sew down. Hope this helps.  Pat

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,717 Posts
Points 436,720
Nana replied on Fri, Oct 1 2010 4:31 PM

Pat

I do my bindings essentially the same way.  It is so much easier and quicker than hand sewing....LOL

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 5

I am on my third quilt, and I'm trying to figure out if I can successfully attach binding by machine, but on my last quilt it looked terrible....so bad, I will have to take it apart and start over.

Are there secrets to attaching the binding by machine and having the seems look nice on both sides, can it be done, or is attaching by machine and then attaching to the back by hand the best way?

[/quote]

To me finishing up the back by hand is the ONLY way.  You will actually spend less time than if you try it by machine and have to take it out because it looks terrible![quote user="Jenn"]

Not Ranked
3 Posts
Points 30

Yes, I highly recommend the "Sew Precise Sew Fast Machine Binding" technique. You can find it through www.quilterstouch.com. You're gonna love it, I guarantee.

Not Ranked
4 Posts
Points 65

Jenn:  After I sew the binding to the top, I fold it over and press it HARD with steam.  Then I can follow where the machine stitching will show on the reverse side.  If you get it just right, you can stich in the ditch on the front and it will look great on the reverse.

Not Ranked
Female
4 Posts
Points 155
Judy replied on Sat, Oct 2 2010 6:13 AM

I am of the old scholl and prefer to blind stitch the binding on the back side. Actually I really enjoy doing it!  Have done it for friends who do not like to do the blind stitcing.   Have you ever gone to a quilt store and looked at the quilts hanging?  I always look at the binding.  Have been at stores where the binding was done very poorly and it makes me think that would not be an especially good place to take a class.  I could be a bit of a snob about that. :)

Not Ranked
Female
11 Posts
Points 155

Do you cut your binding on the bias? I know that almost all the teachers tell you that you don't have to do that unless your edges are wavy or pointed or other than straight; however, if you cut on the bias, the fabric is MUCH more "obedient" to you, and will lay where you put it. I almost always cut mine 2.5 to 3 inches, then fold it raw edges together. I then stitch it to the front, fold it over and stitch it to the back, either by hand or machine. If you want to miter the corners, there are many sites on the 'web' that can tell you (or show you) exactly how to do this. The trick is to be even and straight. Any 'wobbles' will show, big time. I also lengthen my stitch length at least one "punch" on the button for lengthening on my machine, sometimes two. I always try it before I stitch to see how it will look. I hope you have better luck in the future. Try the bias, I think it will help.

Myra

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,540 Posts
Points 46,089

I have never had success sewing the binding down by machine..I prefer (so far) to do it by hand....it is one of my favourite parts of quilting...I love sitting and hand stitiching the binding and just relaxing and knowing that this is the last step before the quilt is completed and looks beautiful

Ontario, Canada

Not Ranked
12 Posts
Points 260

I use the following two methods.methods. #1. I sew the binding to the back first then fold over to the front. I carefully line up the fold on the front so that when I stitch it the stitching on the back goes into the ditch. It is not easy to do but I am usually successful.  #2. I start the same as method 1 but on the front I use a zig-zag or other decorative stitch that will catch the front and back. Hope this is helpful.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014

Ltmltd5, Thanks for the information, never thought of using stitch in the ditch for my binding,I just might try that.  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Not Ranked
12 Posts
Points 260

You are welcome. Good luck.

Not Ranked
Female
9 Posts
Points 855
Jenn replied on Sun, Oct 3 2010 4:31 PM

yes, that is helpful about the decorative stitching on the front, I will have to try that, thank you!!!!

Thanks everyone!  I think I am going to give handstitching a go too

Page 2 of 5 (62 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use