Top 10 Posters

Label

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 19 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
27 Posts
Points 690
Biglucyfan posted on Wed, Sep 15 2010 11:22 AM

Can any of you wonderful quilters give a newbie instructions on how to add a label and where to get one.  I just made my very first quilt and I am so excited.  It is a John Deere and Farm Animal quilt.  I made it for a very dear friend who is having her first grandchild and they live on a farm so what better theme to do a child's room in.  LOL

Thank you for any advice you can give me.  I am not sure if there is maybe a video that could help me or not.

Debbie

From Annapolis Maryland

• | Post Points: 80

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
5,109 Posts
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Wed, Sep 15 2010 11:55 AM

Get yourself  an archival quality perminent marker or two (availible at your LQS or in craft stores in the scrap booking dept).  Iron a piece of fabric  (either from the quilt or just a plain scrap) onto a piece of freezer paper (Shiny side of the paper to the wrong side of the cloth). You can either use your printer to print out the information you want on the quilt  and trace it onto the cloth using a window or light box, or free hand it.  Another option is to see if your LQS has labels availible. Mine stocks yard goods with patches designed to be used as labels. When you have it the way you want it, remove the freezer paper stabilizer and applique it to the back of the quilt in the bottom corner. 

You'll want to include Who it was made for and why; who made it; & when it was completed. You can also include words of wisdom, short poems or an antidote.  Be sure to sign your work!

Hope this helps.

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
27 Posts
Points 690

WOW awesome idea I will try that.  Now I just hope my LQS has labels of some sort to use.  LOL

Thank you

Debbie

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
27 Posts
Points 690

Of course I forgot to add you know I am new so this may sound stupid, but what does the freezer paper do?  I am such a new quilter, that these ideas just don't go to my brain fast enough.  LOL

Debbie

Not Ranked
27 Posts
Points 690

I mean I am so new that I thought HST ment Home Shopping Television, but now I know what it really stand for.  I was just not understanding the slang.  I am now taking a quilters class for beginners so the words are starting to make since to me.

Not Ranked
27 Posts
Points 690

I mean I am so new that I thought HST ment Home Shopping Television, but now I know what it really stand for.  I was just not understanding the slang.  I am now taking a quilters class for beginners so the words are starting to make since to me.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
116 Posts
Points 2,770
Trudy replied on Wed, Sep 15 2010 12:38 PM

Hi,

I purchase custom, high quality labels from a company called Charm Woven Lables.  You can order online and get 20 for about $18.  I love them!  No, you can't date them but I have had them printed with the year and made sure I used them all up.

Trudy

Downey, CA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,720 Posts
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Wed, Sep 15 2010 12:58 PM

biglucyfan:

Of course I forgot to add you know I am new so this may sound stupid, but what does the freezer paper do?  I am such a new quilter, that these ideas just don't go to my brain fast enough.  LOL

Debbie

Debbie

The freezer paper just acts as a stabilizer until you finish writing on the fabric. 

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
5,109 Posts
Points 109,590

Thanks for answering that Nana.

I appologize for not explaining that earlier, BigLucyFan. You don't nessecarily need to use the freezer paper, but it sure helps. Without it, you'r fabric will want to fallow your pen and do weird stretchy things while you are writing. By ironing it to the freezer paper you eliminate it's tendancy to do that. The paper peels right off when you are done -  easy peasy!

Trudy, I love your avitar!!

Top 25 Contributor
5,109 Posts
Points 109,590

Using your printer to make them is another option. Here's a link that explains how and even has a few options. http://www.victorianaquiltdesigns.com/VictorianaQuilters/PrintableQuiltLabels/freeprintablequiltlabels.htm

And this link does a much better job of explaining how to do it then I did:

http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/techniques/finishing/making-quilt-labels_1.html

If you type "Quilt Labels" into your search engine you should be able to find a tun of info on them and even more free-bee printables. Good luck!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,824 Posts
Points 366,012
Kris replied on Wed, Sep 15 2010 3:37 PM

Debbie,

you can label a quilt in so many different ways.

Use an orphan block (one that didn't make it into the quilt) and write on it with archival ink. You can make a machine embroidered label. I've also embroidered directly on the quilt itself, front or back. 

For me it's like quilting. The quilt determines what I do with it. I hardly ever label the same way twice.

Whatever you do have fun with it.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,415 Posts
Points 415,724
gini replied on Wed, Sep 15 2010 8:30 PM

debbie there are so many ways to put a label on a quilt.  i embroider mine.    my maiden name is broadsword and i embroider a broadsword on the quilt and write my current last name and date down the side of the sword.    i hide it in the  front of the quilt and it has become a "treasure hunt" for the family member  to find the  label   gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,415 Posts
Points 415,724
gini replied on Wed, Sep 15 2010 8:46 PM

debbie, is cotton seed glory still operating?   it is one of my favorite stores   gini

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
27 Posts
Points 690

Gini where is cotton seed glory?

Debbie

Not Ranked
27 Posts
Points 690

Thank you all so much for the awesome advice on labels.  I am about to give it a try.  I will let you know how I do.

Have an awesome day.

Debbie

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use