Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 57
Points 1,265
Carla H. Posted: Fri, May 29 2009 10:38 AM

I would like to know from some experts...how do you start out as a beginner quilter and love it and get lucky enough to have a career in it. I mean how do you get to be well known, or write a book or have a tv show or  blog for Quilters Club of America or just any of that? I know everyone starts from the beginning, but for those of us that are at the beginning ,it can be overwelming to wonder how do we ever get to that point.

Thanks for any help or information. I am sure I am not the only person who every wondered about this.

Carla Hamm 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 465
Points 20,280

Hi Carla,

It does, of course, happen over night! LOL!

Seriously, it's one step in front of the other, as in anything esle we set off to do. Do you like to teach? Start teaching a class at your LQS. Do you like to design? Create a project and submit it to a magazine.

We did a video at Market for QNNtv.com with two women who've written a great book on quilting careers: the Insider's Guide to Quilting Careers. I'll post back when it's up, but in the meantime, here's the URL:

http://quiltwoman.com/dts-101.aspx

Regarding blogs, I have thought that member blogs should be more visible, and certanly more findable. Peg has an idea to do so, by making a place where they are listed with those who blog the most on top. I am all about promoting other designers so I'm gald to see this is the works. Don't know when it'll happen, but it'll be great!

~Jodie

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 403
Points 4,864

I have no desire to be published, etc.  I am not an "Expert"...but I think the biggest thing is to get your name out there.  I just wanted to be busy enough to pay for my supplies..and that sure hasn't taken long.

I had the luxury of owning a used goods store.  I set my longarm up in a sectioned off area.  Had one quilt by the first week there...and decided..I'd do a t-shirt quilt as a fundraiser for the local high school...only two t-shirts donated...soooo..I bought one & decided I'd make a big appliqued wildcat for the middle of the quilt...It came out really nice...raffled it off...and drew the winner of the quilt & then the school group to get the proceeds...great advertisement!  I also did volunteer quilting for our county centinnial quilts.  that got a ton of publicity since many people wanted a block, but had to have photos put to fabric...& I was only place in the area to get that done. 

I now stay just steady enough to keep my fun money fund going...and that's all I need right now.  The Good Lord has blessed us so that we are able to be retired & debt free.   Not everyone can do a lot of volunteer work (three years ago, I couldn't afford thread, much less a machine).   If you need to earn a iiving from your quilting..you still need to get out and find some free advertising/publicity.  A really good way is to see if a local children's hospital needs blankies for the babies...and then hit up all the churches in town to provide you the materials or quilts to quilt & donate...make sure to let the local papers & news channel in on this.  Get pictures taken of a sew-in, etc. 

Get some of your best sample quilts & see if you can hang them in a local bank, doctor's office, etc.  You just need to figure out how best to get your name out there. 

Marge

Margie Campbell
margecam52@valornet.com
TinLizzie18 LS
Littlefield, TX

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 57
Points 1,265
Carla H. replied on Fri, Jun 12 2009 8:00 AM

Jodie,

Thanks for always taking time to answer our questions. It is appreciated.

Carla

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 57
Points 1,265
Carla H. replied on Fri, Jun 12 2009 8:02 AM

Marge,

You are very kind to send me  a reply so full of information. Thank you.

Carla

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2016 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.