Need help with monofilament thread

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 15 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,819 Posts
Points 43,839
Eileen posted on Wed, Sep 8 2010 8:40 AM

Help!  I would love to hear from people who have used nylon monofilament thread.  I am using it to quilt a wall hanging and was doing fine until the last couple of blocks. 

I'm getting "bird nests" on the back as well as loops of the monofilament on the back or places where the bobbin thread stitches look longer than the top stitches.  I have not done lots of quilting so am not experienced enough to figure this one out, plus it's my first time with this thread.  So

far, I have replaced the bobbin, rethreaded the machine & tried moving the tension up & down - nothing has helped.  Any ideas?  Thanks in advance :-)

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,698 Posts
Points 248,172
Thea replied on Wed, Sep 8 2010 9:17 AM

Eileen, I can't tell you about nylon as I won't use it - but they do have a polyester - sulky and superior make it and it works fantastically... wish I could help you with the nylon... knowing me and my first attempts with it - they didn't go well so I threw it away and was never going to use it again till my embroidery teacher for the machine told me about superior which is the only brand I buy now... but I do know that it is hard to find ... so sulky would be my 2nd choice...

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,739 Posts
Points 436,595
Nana replied on Wed, Sep 8 2010 9:24 AM

Eileen

I am sorry that you are having so many problems.  I haven't done much with the monofilaments but I do know that the nylon has a tendency to stretch really badly.  I don't know if this may be part of the problem or not.   What you are describing sounds like the top tension is way too loose.  Hope you get this problem figured out really soon...

Vinton, Virginia

Top 150 Contributor
Female
448 Posts
Points 5,660

Eileen--are you using the right needle? There is a special needle you can buy for monofilament threads. Also, I have  used a lubricant that you put a dab on the spool before thread that helps the thread go through the machine easily. Other than that, I dislike using monofilament because it is a pain to use. There are lots of great alternatives.

Not Ranked
Female
8 Posts
Points 130
Kathy replied on Wed, Sep 8 2010 9:51 AM

I use Superior Threads' Mono-Poly (a polyester mono thread) and their Bottom Line for the bobbin along with a topstitch #90 needle. Have you replaced the needle? When I have issues, that is usually what I need to do.

Kathy in CT

Top 500 Contributor
Female
203 Posts
Points 3,135

I share your pain.  I also Tossed the nylon filament because it was a pain.  But the Sulky brand is working sometimes.  I just make sure I have a new needle, that the machine is clean or cleaned out.  depends on your style machine. I also use a normal double duty type bobbin thread.  That helps a lot.

Good luck.

from Minnesota

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

Eileen, that is so frustrating.  I have not used any in a long time and was not very successful when I did.  I did find this Tame Your Monofilament Thread Tangles  I have not tried these but have read where others used them successfully.  Good luck!

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
25,031 Posts
Points 368,952
Kris replied on Wed, Sep 8 2010 3:07 PM

Eileen,

I don't use nylon thread since it melts when ironed. However when using monofilament thread I put a mesh "sock" over the spool to keep it from unwinding too quickly. If it's in the bobbin make sure it's wound slowly and only about half full. I also use "Little Genie Bobbin Washers" to help eliminate the bird nests on the back of my work.

Here's hoping you get it sorted out soon. 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,819 Posts
Points 43,839

My sincere thanks to everyone who has repsonded so far! I guess I should have done more research before using the darned stuff!! LOL 

I am using a prewound bobbin - can't remember if it's cotton or poly but the color blends well with the backing.  I did change my needle and had recently cleaned out the bobbin area.  I did not know about a specail needle for the monofilament threads, but I checked a book I have on quilting which talks about what needle to use with different threads.  I either have a topstitch or quilting needle & I think it's a 75 but may be a 90 - will check when I get home.  Gee, I may have to go to Joanns & buy something new! Oh, darn (she says, while smiling).

Thanks again - you all are great!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
25,031 Posts
Points 368,952
Kris replied on Wed, Sep 8 2010 7:29 PM

Eileen:
Thanks again - you all are great!!

You're welcome Eileen. You're great too.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,579 Posts
Points 139,858

Eileen,

I think Superior Threads website has a video about monofilament thread. I so far hate it, but still have to try monopoly and YLI. Like Kris, I have steered away from Nylon, but I will say I did a practice with it, (hated it) but I did iron over it and didn't have any breakage or melting problems. I think that issue may be exagerrated a little, but I still hated using it. It's unmanageably thin and I don't like the plastic  shine it has.

So far I've heard Superior threads monopoly and YLI listed in previous posts as fav's. 

Best of luck to you working everything out, and we think you're pretty wonderful yourself.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
25,031 Posts
Points 368,952
Kris replied on Wed, Sep 8 2010 11:36 PM

Wonderfil makes a thread called Invisafil that I like very much. It's very fine and comes in many colours but it practically disappears when used. I use it for appliqué to help hide my stitches. I also used it to qulit "Valerie's Sunflower" quilt.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,579 Posts
Points 139,858

Kris,

Where do you buy this?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,698 Posts
Points 248,172
Thea replied on Thu, Sep 9 2010 6:59 AM

Hadn't heard of invisifil Kris - will be looking for it... although I must say I don't use this type thread very often and for me so far the Superior spool is hanging on... I have so many threads from doing machine embroidery that I can usually match one to my material...but once in a while it is nice to use something different and since I am a quiltoholic - I have to have it all - teehee...

Top 10 Contributor
Female
25,031 Posts
Points 368,952
Kris replied on Fri, Sep 10 2010 12:13 AM

Stephanie:

Kris,

Where do you buy this?

Sorry for the late response. I buy it from Red Rock Threads and I've seen it in some shops. The Wonderfil website has a list of shops, in the US and Canada, that carry it.

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use