Quilting on the move

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 100
grammcl Posted: Thu, May 28 2009 6:37 PM

Hi, my name is Judy and my husband and I have been full-time rv'ers for about 20 months.  My conditions to this lifestyle were that I could bring my hobbies and be able to follow my sports teams (Minnewsota Vikings and Twins) on satellite tv.  I have my quilting supplies and tools with me and our satellite tv has been great.  I'm looking forward to hear from other quilters in the same situation.  So far I am armed with kits as all my hobbbies (other kinds of needlkework, e.g. x stitch, croched etc.) are supposed to fit under the bed.  Hahahahha.  I have plenty to keep me busy for quite awhile but sometimes sightseeing gets in the way.  We are currently in the Virginia, Washington, D.C area and will be here through the 20th of June.  We stay at military bases whenever we can (my husband is retired USAF).  Most of the quilts that I make I send to my daughter in San Diego.  She is a police sargeant there and distributes them to various places.  I look forward to hearing from other quilters and especially those "on the move".  

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 5
Points 120

Hi Judy,

I too am a traveling quilter.  We have lived in our MH since 1999.  A couple of years ago we got a park model with an extra room in an RV park in AZ for the winters.  But I still live in the RV during the six months we aren't in AZ.  I mostly make small quilted prayer cloths - www.clothncard.com that I give away (well about 2/3 of what I make) and the other 1/3 that I sell help keep me in fabric and thread.  I have made about 1500 of them over the years.  The nice thing about them is their size.  With limited space and constantly having to put things away and back out, their size (about 14'' to 16" squares) makes it easy to do.  Because they are basicly one block of any quilt, I can make a wide variety of designs.  I keep all my supplies inside the MH because I find it easier to get it all out in a hurry if I want to work on them even if we are only stopping in a spot for one night.  Occasionally when I needed to make a larger quilt, I found that quilting as you go works well in a MH.  But if I need to spread out to sandwich the three layers together, I usually look for either a church that will allow me to use one of their rooms, or a room in the park if it is a larger park.  Even a quilt store that offers classes might allow you to bring in your project and lay it out.  I love being able to shop all over the country as many shops carry fabrics that cater to their local culture.  I also have helped groups in other parts of the country to begin making prayer cloths for their own communities.  My web site hasn't been updated lately but it is still active.

Welcome to the lifestyle and quilting is very popular among those of us traveling.  Carolyn

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526
Sandy H. replied on Thu, May 28 2009 8:07 PM

I am glad to hear that quilting is possible in an RV as my DH and I hope to spend time traveling when we retire.  I'm a machine quilter but I do have a Featherweight so hopefully I'll have room to take it with me.  I'm jealous of you guys!

Sandy

Southwest Florida

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 5
Points 120

Sandy,

I also machine quilt and machine embroidery and carry my Bernina Artista 200e with me all the time!  I never go anywhere without it for the past 5 years!  I love it.

Carolyn

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 2
Points 25

The small prayer quilts are such a nice idea. I have never heard of it before but my bible study group was talking about quilting last night. I will keep this in mind.

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 100
grammcl replied on Fri, May 29 2009 6:49 PM

Carolyn your prayer quilts sound wonderful.  I have not heard of this idea before.  What a worthwhile way to put a hobby to good use.  Your production shows that you can quilt just about anywhere.  Happy travelling.    Judy

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use