Batting

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 12 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,784 Posts
Points 30,506
Joni posted on Wed, Sep 1 2010 3:38 PM

I have only seen "low loft" batting.  Is there anything else?  I would like to have some higher loft batting for some projects, does anyone have any idea of others?

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,429 Posts
Points 416,079
gini replied on Wed, Sep 1 2010 3:41 PM

joni,  iknow they make high loft batts, if you can't find one you can always use two batts together, i've done that before and it works ok   gini

gini in north idaho

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,429 Posts
Points 416,079
gini replied on Wed, Sep 1 2010 3:41 PM

it was with fluffy poly batts, i haven't tried it with cotton batting.   

and joni, could you tag your post, please.  this will be a good discussion for referring back to   thanks    gini

gini in north idaho

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,784 Posts
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Wed, Sep 1 2010 3:48 PM

Wow did not even know what tags meant.  Hope I did it right.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,429 Posts
Points 416,079
gini replied on Wed, Sep 1 2010 3:52 PM

joni, you did it perfect, now you can type batting in and this is one of the threads that will come up   gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,882 Posts
Points 367,022
Kris replied on Wed, Sep 1 2010 6:03 PM

Joni,

Quilter's Dream Puff is a high loft batting. However, high loft battings are difficult to machine quilt and are more suitable for tying.

Batt-Mart is a great source for batting.

They know about batting. Check them out for more information.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,429 Posts
Points 416,079
gini replied on Wed, Sep 1 2010 6:10 PM

thanks for the heads up on batt-mart, what a great site   gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,721 Posts
Points 436,920
Nana replied on Wed, Sep 1 2010 7:10 PM

Joni

I have bought high loft polyester batt at JoAnn's.  I have also machine quilted with it without problem.   Like Gini I have also used 2 layers of batting if I wanted something heavier.

Vinton, Virginia

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827

As much as I like just chatting with the friendly bunch on this site, I LOVE when we get back to actual quilting questions and answers.  I still have so much to learn.  Great question, Joni, and great answers!  Thanks, all.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,721 Posts
Points 436,920
Nana replied on Wed, Sep 1 2010 10:23 PM

You are all very welcome.  I know that Kris and Gini feels the same as I do....it is always a pleasure to help someone with quitling questions.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,429 Posts
Points 416,079
gini replied on Thu, Sep 2 2010 12:16 AM

nancy,  it's amazing how much knowledge there is out there and how helpful everyone is with sharing their knowledge here.   that is the best thing about this site    gini

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
27 Posts
Points 735

I am wondering what other considerations you have about the batting besides loft. If there aren't any other considerations - layer up the polyester as suggested. 

Myself I prefer natural fiber batting and have used Dream Wool from Quilter's Dream.  It made up nicely and provided enough loft for my taste. We can buy it at local quilt stores here in E Iowa but as a long armer I am going to carry it on the roll. They also have a nice polyester I am going to carry for someone who wants a little more loft than the wool & doesn't mind poly. 

When I was deciding about batting I went to a quilt show in Des Moines IA and most of the companies had representatives there. I was able to bring home samples of most brands.  I decided quality over price was the way I wanted to go and chose Quilter's Dream.  They have a Bamboo, Silk, Cotton and Eucalyptus pulp batting that is "Way Wonderful" if you like the flatter look. Costly but much nicer than 100% cotton. Drapes and snuggles really nice.

• Filed under:
Top 150 Contributor
Female
521 Posts
Points 9,969
Jean replied on Thu, Sep 2 2010 9:20 PM

Kris:

Kris,

Thanks so much for the great site on batting.  Great resource for batting and a way for us LA's to get batting on the roll!!

Patch Up America.....Make A Quilt

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use