Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 7 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 5
Points 120
Peg Lassen Posted: Thu, Aug 26 2010 5:47 PM

I heard somewhere that you can make quilt squares and quilt them as you go.  I'm new to quilting and would like to know the details of how you do this, and how do you sew the pre-quilted squares together without having any raw edges showing.  If anyone can help me out with this, I'd surely appreciate it.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,264
Points 135,013
Stephanie replied on Thu, Aug 26 2010 6:04 PM

Peg, If you are a member and have access to qnntv.com. go in and access the videos to Sewing with Nancy 1800 series. Scroll down and click on "Fold and Finish Reversible Quilts Part 1. The guest is Betty Cotton. The video is wonderful and she also has books in which she describes this method of quilting beautifully so that you end up with a totally reversible quilt.    

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,825
Points 352,537
Kris replied on Thu, Aug 26 2010 7:23 PM

Peg,

Jodie's BOM group has a tutorial and discussion on QAYG. some members are using this method for their quilts and they're loving it. It's a different method from the Cotton Theory. You could try both to see which you prefer.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,486
Points 30,250
Diana replied on Fri, Aug 27 2010 6:17 AM

What is QAYG?  I don't speak alphabet soup.  I'd love to do a quilt as you go.  I tie all my quilts because I can't afford the long arm quilting and my arthritis won't let me hand quilt them.  I also have had trouble trying to muscle a large quilt on my home sewing machine.  Thanks.

Diana in East Tn. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,649
Points 135,942
Leslie replied on Fri, Aug 27 2010 6:22 AM

Diane, It stands for Quilt as you go.

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 45
Points 865
Traci replied on Fri, Aug 27 2010 8:29 AM

Also check out Eleanor Burns, Quilt in a day series, Quilters Almanac, she does the quilt as you go method too.

Traci O.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 448
Points 5,660
CJ Hines replied on Fri, Aug 27 2010 9:34 AM

Nancy Smith and Lynda Milligan have a book, "Divide & Conquer! Quilt it Your Way," that demonstrates the quilt as you go method. I've used it several times and it is a breeze to do. 

Good luck!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429

Peg & Diane~

I'm one of the people doing the QAYG on the BOM (Block of the Month) project that is going on now. I don't have a long arm and really don't want one. SO I have been concentrating doing the quilting on my sewing machine. The QAYG is great and I will never do a regular backing and batting again.

The BOM is being done in sections. So as each section is pieced you make a batting and backing piece a little larger than your top. You guilt that smaller section now and it is easier to get through the machine because it is smaller. Then you do another section which are now like adding borders. You sew the new tops and sides to the exisiting quilted top and add sides and top and bottom batting and fabric and quilt that section. So you are always working on the outer edges and the large quilted inner part doesn't have to be pushed through the neck.

If you have a top all finished you can QAYG in pieces on this, too. You can divide the quilting into three or 4 sections.  On the back start in the middle and make a sandwich of batting and backing from top to bottom and quilt that section. Then add batting and backing to one side and quilt that section. Then add to the other side and it's all quilted.

I really like it and this will be I'll quilt from now on.

Check out Jodies' BOM under quilt as you go for some pictorials. It looks a lot harder than it is.

North of Boston MA

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 127
Points 5,312
LadyRags replied on Sat, Aug 28 2010 7:08 AM

Fun and Done has a series of patterns using the QUILT AS YOU GO METHOD.  THEY have a template called THE BATTING BUDDY... it is used to trim up the quilted blocks to make them go together easier.

I liked the method so much I had my window guy make me several similar templates so I can use them make bigger blocks of my own creation.   I often make quilt blocks to practice my machine quilting and rather then trowing them out I use them to make sofa throws.... They are pretty neat if I do say so myself.

Marti Michelle teaches quilting in sections.  That to has become a popular method of Quilt as you go....

Quilters do what they have to do.... Important part is to get it done.

Lady Rags

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use