Page 2 of 4 (47 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 46 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 14,338
Points 249,932
Thea replied on Tue, Aug 24 2010 9:10 PM

Helen that is cute but one of the prerequisites or rules is that we use a simple 9 patch block - but i really like that and if i decide not to enter this contest - or even if I do - one of the quilts will be made up that way - that is a cute block - can't you see a really pretty sashing in between those... hmmmm .... good thinking miss Helly!!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 14,338
Points 249,932
Thea replied on Tue, Aug 24 2010 9:12 PM

Kris:

Thea,

how about framing the blocks then sewing them together? Sort of like this:

The secondary design would be pretty.

Kris, I like that block too - would love to see that in EQ done up with all the different colors and see what the secondary design would look like... hmmm - this is too much fun!!! 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,662
Points 136,142
Leslie replied on Tue, Aug 24 2010 9:27 PM

Oh Helly, I really like your block and colors wow.

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 26,588
Points 392,162
Kris replied on Tue, Aug 24 2010 9:34 PM

Thea,

I was also thinking of tilting the blocks

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 791
Points 20,075
Carol replied on Tue, Aug 24 2010 9:42 PM

Althea :
a LQS is having a contest - with the simple 9 patch blocks - you put them together however you want... and I figured since i have all these blocks - I could put together several different quilts but

Thea--WOW is right -- so many blocks you could make quilts from all the ideas!  One of my favorites to give some movement and interest to simple blocks is to use "Patience Corners" setting.  Just a sash on one side, and then one on the adjacent side the length of the block plus the first sash.  In other words, sash two sides of the block.  Then set them alternately - this is hard to explain - alternate the rows too - you end up with dancing blocks, not straight rows, and it looks good, (I promise!)  I'll have to send you a picture if you're at all interested, can't remember where I found the pattern many years ago, but I've used it a lot of times with scrap blocks.  The sashes can look good all one color or two colors, too.  Hope you find a way to do your nine patches that looks great!! Carolml

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 20,343
Points 254,944
Barbara replied on Wed, Aug 25 2010 5:04 AM

Helly ,I love this block and I love your colors, Can't wait to see the finished project..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 613
Points 12,850

Now that is a great idea. 

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 613
Points 12,850

Helen,

Ooops. . .that reply was for your black, white and red block idea. 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

Barbara:

Helly ,I love this block and I love your colors, Can't wait to see the finished project..Barbara

sorry Barbara..that was just a pic I got off the internet..but that b eing said..I like it very much and I think I will do one

Ontario, Canada

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

Barbara:

sorry Barbara..that was just a pic I got off the internet..but that b eing said..I like it very much and I think I will do one

Ontario, Canada

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 176
Points 2,830
Shari replied on Wed, Aug 25 2010 9:56 AM

Helly, oh nuts, I was just starting to post a question about the fabric line you chose for those blocks :)  I love the colors and motifs in the fabrics!  Those are fabrics my DH would really love.

Shari

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 14,338
Points 249,932
Thea replied on Wed, Aug 25 2010 11:31 AM

Carol, I would be very interested... I think I know what you mean but a picture eases my brain...teehee...

I can probably use all these methods too - there are so many blocks to sew into quilts and I keep meaning to do it and until this contest came along I had just piled them... then I find them and think - hmmmm - need to do something with them... then a magazine comes along with a beautiful new project and the 9 patches would get set aside again...

But now with the contest and all the ideas from my friends here - I am off to the races... just as soon as i get my blocks for Chicago done and DSM's pot holders sent out so I don't miss her birthday... Dad always said I was late for birthdays so i try real hard to get the packages there on time... I always have the gifts ready but have this thing about getting to the post office to post them... shame shame on me...

Well, need lunch and then off to small group and chicken pot holder should be done when I get back.... it is so cute...teehee...

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429

Helly~

I really like that 9 block layout, too. Would you then use sashing all around the blocks to separate them? I don't usually go for black and white but I love this with the flash of red in the middle. I have a gazillion 4" squares and this would be a good idea to use them for.

North of Boston MA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089
Helen Bell replied on Wed, Aug 25 2010 12:13 PM

you just put the blocks in rows and you get this..really quite amazing from a 9 patch

Ontario, Canada

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 26,588
Points 392,162
Kris replied on Wed, Aug 25 2010 3:33 PM

Shari:
Helly, oh nuts, I was just starting to post a question about the fabric line you chose for those blocks :)  I love the colors and motifs in the fabrics!  Those are fabrics my DH would really love.

Shari

Shari,

the black and white fabrics are from Mark Lipinski's "Califon" line. I think you could find any red to go with it.

I like the "Disappearing Nine Patch" a lot.

• | Post Points: 50
Page 2 of 4 (47 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2017 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.