recommend mags...back issue quilter's home...ml pattern

Page 2 of 2 (22 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 21 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 8
Points 100

If you're into "artsy" quilts, then the main choice has to be "Quilting Arts".  If you're looking for mainly patterns, then "The Quilter" is for you.  For easy, beginner types of projects, then I'd get "McCalls Quick Quilts".  To keep up the latest in quilting news, learn advanced techniques, view challenging quilts and enjoy reading a magazine as opposed to all patterns and pictures, then you have to get "Quilter's Newsletter".  I believe that's one is the oldest ones out there, starting in 1968 (??).  For fun then you have to have "Quilter's Home", even though Mark isn't there anymore.  And for general quilting there is a whole slew of them.  My personal favs are "Quilt", "Fons and Porter's Love of Quilting", "McCalls Quilting", "American Patchwork and Quilting" (a Better Homes and Gardens publication and one of my favorites.  Their website is also a must, as well as their newsletter.  TONS of free patterns for quilts, table runners, purses and bags, aprons, etc.).  Another of my favorites is a new one called "Quilt Life" with Alex Anderson and Ricky Tims, and I like "American Quilter", which you can get monthly if you are an AQS member.  "Fabric Trends is fun occasionally.  And "Quiltmaker" is a general magazine too. In all I now subscribe to 12 and recently did not renew three that expired.  OH, there is an important one out there if you're into machine quilting.  It's called "Machine Quilting Unlimited" and I don't know if they sell it on the newsstand or not.  I've never seen it.  But just like "Quilting Arts" is THE art quilt type magazine, "MQU" is THE machine quilting magazine.  I highly recommend buying them all as you can and choosing your favorites to subscribe to.  It saves a ton of money by subscribing.  Hope this helps.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,765
Nana replied on Sat, Aug 28 2010 3:33 PM

I love all these mags.  I get McCalls Quilting and Quilters World and Quilter's Newsletter but I sometimes buy a single mag if I see something in it that I find really interesting.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,765
Nana replied on Sat, Aug 28 2010 3:34 PM

QuilterBridget

I see that this is a first post.  Welcome and I hope you enjoy the site.  Drop in and chat with us frequently.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,358
Points 414,959
gini replied on Sat, Aug 28 2010 9:39 PM

quilterbridget, hi, welcome,  you gave  good synopsis of the magazines out there.   i would add quiltmania, it's one of my favorites    gini

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 8
Points 100

Hi Nana...I actually joined when this forum was first set up.  I try to limit my computer time because I can spend hours here!  There's just so much to see and do that at times it's overwhelming.  I have to be especially careful when it comes to forums and groups because there are so many wonderful conversations to participate in.  So, now I can say I have 2 posts! LOL!!! 

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 8
Points 100

I can't get  "Quiltmania" here, and if I recall the subscription rates are rather high if you're in the US.  Where are you able to purchase the magaznie?  I'm totally addicted to quilting publications and want to check them all out!

BTW, thanks for the welcome :)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,358
Points 414,959
gini replied on Sun, Aug 29 2010 12:35 PM

i got  quiltmania  through amazon.    gini

gini in north idaho

Page 2 of 2 (22 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use