Quilts with photos on them

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 80
oneteapot@earthlink.net Posted: Tue, Aug 10 2010 5:55 PM

I am considering making a photo quilt for my hubby. I am wondering how to go about it. I have a regular printer/scanner. Wondering what photo fabric/technique to use. Any and all suggestions appreciated!!

Thanks,

Laurel

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,840
Points 366,242
Kris replied on Tue, Aug 10 2010 6:07 PM

Laurel,

I used Kona cotton treated with Bubble Jet Set 2000 to make a memory quilt for my in-laws. Click here for the product and explanation on how to use it.  It works really well and is cheaper than the fabric printer sheets if you have lots of photos.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,421
Points 415,889
gini replied on Tue, Aug 10 2010 6:11 PM

kris, you get gold stars for remembering tags    gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 186
Points 4,891

Thank you for the hint.  I, too, will be making photo quilts soon.  I am making wall hangings for the Grandmas for Grandparents Day in Sept.

Rose Hall

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,840
Points 366,242
Kris replied on Tue, Aug 10 2010 8:02 PM

Thanks Gini!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 56
Points 930

I used specialty paper my very first time, but after thatI just used regular waxed paper ironed onto my cotton fabric to get it to go through my printer, then once it dried, ran through cold water to help set the ink.  I haven't  had any issues with bleeding or fading, though somebody once mentioned to me that it depended on the type of ink your printer uses.  Also, the photo pieces I've made haven't been ones that require frequent washings.

Hope this was helpful.  

Always,

Terri-Lynn

So much fabric, so little time!

Itchin' to be Stitchin'.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 80

Thanks for all the hints. Still reading up on the different techniques.

Laurel

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 53
Points 1,335
Julie replied on Sat, Aug 21 2010 1:44 PM

Laurel

I am in the process of making a king size memory quilt for our century farm and I always use Sew-In Color Fast fabric sheets in cream. I find that white is tooo white. I scan  the photos into my printer and print the photos with spaces in between them then when I cut them apart I soak them in cold water till the paper lets go, lay them out flat to dry, iron them on the hottest setting on my iron Dont move your iron back and forth you may smear the images. I will warn you it kinda stinks. I leave enough room around the edges to turn them under to applicay to the quilt

Julie

Julie and grandson Aries

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sat, Aug 21 2010 8:50 PM

I have some of the sew-in colorfast Fabric sheets for ink jet printers Has anyone used them?.I have not had a chance to try them yet .but due to cost I want to make sure I'm not wasting my money lol.  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use