Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 19
Points 305
SewFreak Posted: Mon, May 25 2009 6:04 PM

I've been sewing since I was around 4 years old but quilting for only about 5 years.  I have been working on perfecting my technigue by piecing traditional quilts.  I have done a few sampler type quilts to try different blocks.  I find I am improving even though it is slow going.  I'm afraid I am a perfectionist which is not always a good thing.  The next technigue I am going to try is hand applique.  I have been hand stitching hexagons for a 1930's Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt.  I find I like English Paper Piecing!  I work full-time in the medical field so this is my stress buster.  So much to try, so little time!  My mother and twin sister quilt along with me whenever we get the chance.  I love to go to retreats because you can learn so much from other quilters and there are  so many experienced quilters to help newbies like me figure out a problem.  My first quilt was a sampler quilt called 'My Favorite Things".  It was a BOM put out by JoAnn Fabrics.  It was not easy and far from perfect but I keep it to remind me how far I have come.  I did another BOM from JoAnn's after that one which has several errors but I laugh when I pull it out as it again reminds me how much I have learned.  It is great to have a circle of quilt friends who giggle along with you when you show off your work as we all know what it takes to create and the frustrations we all suffer from time to time.  Quilting is just so much FUN!

• | Post Points: 80
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 465
Points 33,785

Hi SewFreak,

That's such a great point: That it does us good to look at old projects and see how far we've come. Afterall, if we didn't learn along the ay, it wouldn't be any fun!

Welcome to our new community!

Jodie

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

Hi Sew freak...welcome to QCA...sorry that I just found your post now...quilting really is sew much fun...I'm not much of a perfectionist myself...I strive for it but it is seldom attained...but I really enjoy making them and they are made with love...where are you from? I'm from Portland, Ontario, Canada

Ontario, Canada

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,297
Points 414,004
gini replied on Fri, Aug 14 2009 2:37 AM

welcome sewfreak,    i took an english paper piecing class in may, i was pretty sure i wouldn' like it.   it is addictive, though.   i made 24 flowers out of the 3/4 inch papers for a border on a star quilt.   they turned out so nice that i am just now finishing 80 flowers out of the 1/4 inch papers. i am so excited to have these finished, and i can hardly wait to get them on my quilt.   this technique is so addictive that i have now cut out all the colors for, and i find this number hard to believe,  over 300 little 1/4 inch flowers.    i tried to do the math to see how many i would need to make a full sized quilt, and the number was somewhere in the thousands.  the old computer stopped working for a while, the number was so huge.   i really hope my brain does not have a complete short circuit and cut out thousands of these little menaces, before i can wrest control back.   but , sometimes i have little control over the crazies  upstairs.   anyhow, i'm glad your're here and would love to see your quilt when it's ready to show..  gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Fri, Aug 14 2009 8:13 AM

Oh my, paper piecing.  that reminds me of the unfinished wall hanging in the back drawer that I started years ago.  Today I have nothing to do but sew, so lets see how many projects I get to and if I finish any of them.  I'll post my progress later.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

looking forward to pics..happy quilting

Ontario, Canada

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,511
Sandy H. replied on Fri, Aug 14 2009 9:29 AM

Hi SewFreak.  Sorry this is a late welcome.  Somehow I also missed your post.  I know what you mean about learning from your earlier projects.  I just pulled out some blocks from a JoAnns BOM that I started several years ago.  OMG, they are terrible ... seams don't match and there are no points on anything.  But, I've put them together anyway and am working on the borders today.  When I get it completed I will post a pic with the whole sad story. 

Welcome to the group and please post some pics when you have time.

Southwest Florida

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 24
Points 435

Welcome SewFreak,  I've never tried paper piecing and I've always wanted to. Guess I need to just dive in and do it. I've never been to a quilting retreat, sad to say. Maybe someday. Don't forget to post some pics.

Bridget

wishin' I was stitchin''  instead of in the kitchen

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,511
Sandy H. replied on Fri, Aug 14 2009 10:09 AM

Hi Bridget,  I just completed a simple paper piecing project - my first.  It's the ice cream cones quilt in show and tell.  It was pretty easy and I enjoyed the process.  But English paper piecing is a whole different thing and I don't think that is something I would enjoy.  Too much hand work, which I'm not very good at.

Southwest Florida

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 24
Points 435

Hi Sandy. I guess I need to go to QNNtv and see if there are any videos on paper piecing. I really would like to learn. I didn't even know there was a difference, I thought paper piecing was paper piecing. Thanks for the info.

Bridget

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,589

I'm not sure how I missed this but wanted to say Hi and welcome to QCA Sewfreak!

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 24
Points 435

Oh, and Sandy, I seen the picture of the ice cream quilt. Beautiful!!

Bridget

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,589

Bridget, I've never been to a quilt retreat either, but I sure hope to some day.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 24
Points 435

Spudgrandma, How did you make your signature so pretty and sparkly. I even called my daughter and asked her to show me. She did show me how to do a signature, but she didn't know how to make it like that. Very neat.

Bridget

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use