Page 1 of 3 (38 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 37 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 51
Points 960
Marty Shultz Posted: Fri, Aug 6 2010 8:14 AM

I have been looking at a Grace Sturdy-Lite longarm Quilting Frame that you can put your home sewing machine in and turn it into a longarm. I have the Janome MC6600. does anyone out there have or know any thing about the quilting frame in question? any help would be good . I don't want to get one if they don't work.

Thanks Marty fron TX

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,485
Points 244,432
Thea replied on Fri, Aug 6 2010 8:22 AM

Marty, I have a Grace frame although it hasn't been up in a few years - but mine is all wood and I love it!  Very well made - very very well made! 

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 51
Points 960

Thanks for the info. Is yours for hand quilting or for holding a machine and longarming?

Marty

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,721
Points 436,920
Nana replied on Fri, Aug 6 2010 10:15 AM

Marty

I think Kris has the Grace frame.  I know that she loves her frame but I am not a 100% sure that it is a Grace.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Fri, Aug 6 2010 11:00 AM

I have the Little Gracie frame. I like it, altho I don't use it nearly as often as I thought I would when I bought it. With my domestic machine, I can only reach 3-5" of the quilt at a time... 'kinda limits what I can quilt with it.

Maybe I need lessons? Anyone know where I can get some?

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429

CC~

I don't have a LA and I don't really know if I need one and I definitely can't afford one right now but it's something I am looking at and learning about. So here comes the dumb question. When you say you can only quilt about 3-5" that is b/c you are using a domestic machine and it doesn't have a long bed from the needle? Is that right? Or is that the Gracie frame is small and that's all you can do at a time?

North of Boston MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,721
Points 436,920
Nana replied on Fri, Aug 6 2010 11:28 AM

Diane

The throat space on your machine is the limiting factor in how much you can quilt before you have to roll the quilt.  Most DSM only have about a 7 to 9 inch throat space which really limits the quilting area..

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,485
Points 244,432
Thea replied on Fri, Aug 6 2010 11:31 AM

Marty, Mine is for either - you can set a machine on it of you can use it as a hand quilting frame... i never tried hand quilting on it - when I do hand qulting I prefer a round frame that I hold in  my lap and do lap quilting...

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,883
Points 367,027
Kris replied on Fri, Aug 6 2010 6:18 PM

Nana:

Marty

I think Kris has the Grace frame.  I know that she loves her frame but I am not a 100% sure that it is a Grace.

I have a grace frame for hand quilting but my machine frame is a Magic frame from New Joy.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 51
Points 960

thanks Kris. Does yours hold your own machine or did you have to get a machine just for use on it?? The one I am looking at will hold my machine which is the Janome MC6600. How do you like yours and does it do well for quilting a large quilt. It seams that I always wind up with a full size or most of the time a queen.

Marty from TX

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,883
Points 367,027
Kris replied on Sat, Aug 7 2010 9:00 PM

Marty,

yes it does hold a domestic sewing machine and I can upgrade when I get the money. I currently use a Babylock QCP on it. Most of my quilts are full or queen sized too. It handles them just fine. My frame is set up at 10 feet but it can be anywhere from 6 to 12 feet depending on how much space you have.

The take up bar on this frame can be moved to three different positions so I can cover a larger area without having to advance the quilt. I really like this feature with my small machine.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 51
Points 960

Thanks Kris,

This is what Ineeded to know. We are getting me a frame that will hold my machine then I won't have to take my quilts out to the longarm are I won't have to work with it the old way of doing it under the machine on the table. But I did not want to get one if they didn't work.

Everone here gave me good answers to the frame.

Marty from TX

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 285
Points 7,035
Shellie replied on Mon, Aug 9 2010 8:26 PM

Marty,

I have the frame you are talking about buying (Gracie Sturdy Lite) and there are some other things you should know about it.  Quilting a queen size quilt on it does take a little bit of work when it comes to having to change the bobbin on your machine.  As a Queen size quilt is almost as wide as the frame getting around and under the side of the quilt to change the bobbin is a pain.  The most negative thing about the set up though is the handles for moving the machine platform and activating the power foot.  The handles are very hard on your hands!  If you can get a quilters cruise control for your machine I would highly recommend it as holding the handle lever in while quilting will become quite painful.  They do not make a cruise control for the machine I use on my frame, so I wear a heavy winter glove on that hand to cushion the handle, it helps a lot!  The frame itself is very sturdy, but be careful during assembly, the plastic rails that the machine rides on can break, and while they will still work it interrupts the smooth flow of the machine (yes I know this because I broke one).  The frame does not fold up or disassemble easily so it will take up a lot of room all of the time.  I did however find that you can set a preform counter top on the body of the frame (with the rails and machine platform removed) and it will hold a lot of weight with no negative effects to the frame. 

While I like the frame for what it is meant for it is very limiting.  My husband bought me a new machine with a larger throat space to use on the frame but I ended up putting it in a cabinet and using it to quilt with the fluff and stuff method the other ladies talk about.  The larger throat eliminates the pain involved with stuffing a lot of quilt thru a tight space, and allows for far more options that are available on the frame.

Shellie - south central Washington state

Linaria Dalmatica Designs

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Mon, Aug 9 2010 9:22 PM

Kris, since you also use your DSM on your New Joy Magic frame, could you comment on how yours compares to the Grace Sturdy Light that Shellie described.  Do you deal with some of the same issues?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,429
Points 416,079
gini replied on Mon, Aug 9 2010 9:25 PM

please, could you guys tag these so they'll be easier to locate?  this is a great discussion.  thanks    gini

gini in north idaho

Page 1 of 3 (38 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use