Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 27
Points 735
Cheryl Robinson Posted: Mon, Aug 2 2010 9:14 PM

I was reading in the tips & techniques and someone mentioned this Martelli Binding Tool thing for putting on binding by machine.

Has anyone any personal experience with it? I have started a long arm business and am going to offer binding as well. I love to do it by hand.  Have a slight (?) problem with perfectionism - definite personality flaw.  If I thought this binding thing would do a GREAT job I might consider it. Some people might opt for sewn on binding as it could be done cheaper and more quickly.

I sure don't want to spend $150. at this stage of the game if it doesn't do a really goood job.   I sew with an Bernina Artista if that makes any difference

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 202
Points 5,090
Angel replied on Mon, Aug 2 2010 10:43 PM

I follow alot of blogs. Here is one persons opinion on the tool

http://scrappyhappystarfishy.blogspot.com/2006/05/martelli-binding-fiasco.html

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Tue, Aug 3 2010 5:24 PM

For some reason, Angel's link didn't work for me, but if you copy and paste the address, it will take you to the site.

I, too, spent $75 at a quilt show to buy the whole Zip Bind system only to find out that the fast-talking sales hawker (I'll not go so far as calling her a snake-oil salesman) who made it look so easy obviously had thousands of hours of experience behind her.  It was not nearly so easy at home. 

Unlike the blogger, I love the zip clips!  So much nicer for holding the binding than pins.  I also think the minute-miter worked very well helping me to fold a very crisp corner - even nicer than the Fons and Porter folding technique I had learned.  The stitch-in-the-ditch foot, however, seemed awkward and cheaply made.  I had to get a special adapter for my Bernina (she told me that right up front), and the whole foot seems to sit kind of kittywampus.  It turns out after watching the training DVD, there was a better Bernina adapter I should have ordered.

Anyway, I bought this in order to be able to put my bindings on entirely by machine.  After a few hours of practice, I did get it to work fairly well and I will use it again.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use