Page 1 of 4 (47 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 46 Replies | 11 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 122
Points 2,583
sqweakyquilter Posted: Sat, May 23 2009 10:36 AM

Hi all,

I am having trouble with my shoulders and back after sewing for a few hours.  Does anyone have some tips or excerises to help?  I cannot live on Tylenol all the time.  I have tried getting up to press, rolling my shoulders and stretching.  Help!  Thanks.

Alice

Alice, Roanoke, VA

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 185
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30
ljg635 replied on Sat, May 23 2009 11:34 AM
Are you sitting in a chair that posistions you with your elbows at at least a 45 degree angle from the bed of your machine? Place a pillow or two on your chair. I bought a very firm, 4" foam square to sit on and it made a huge difference. Linda
  • | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 12
Points 165
Kate replied on Sat, May 23 2009 12:09 PM

You don't mention your body type...  The only cure I found was reduction mammoplasty.  I had HUGE breasts and used to come home from work with my shoulders and upper back throbbing and burning.   This was a really drastic and expensive solution, but worth it.  I have since discovered that some yoga poses are a great help, too.

Kate

Kate

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 122
Points 2,583

Thanks for the imput, I am going today to find a pillow and try that solution.  It could just be old age or lack of back muscles but your solution is cheap and sounds reasonable.

Alice

Alice, Roanoke, VA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,446
Points 127,674

I bought a good chair, that is adjustable up & down and tilts back and forth and that helped a lot.  You do need to get up and do something else every hour or so. You might also look for a lumbar support for your chair if you cannot buy a new chair.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 60
Points 735
Cindy replied on Sat, Jun 6 2009 4:08 PM

I just started the Wii fit it has helped me with my posture and balance with better posture comes more hours of quilting . Any activety that helps inprove posture would work I just founf the Wii Fit fun so I was more inclined to do the excerizes.

• | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 4
Points 35
Linda replied on Sat, Jun 13 2009 8:50 PM

I quite often have to remind myself to BREATHE!  I get so caught up in the sewing, I end up with hunched shoulders and stiff and sore.  Definitely have to get up and move around for a few minutes every hour.

Saw a demo recently on machine stippling, she tips her machine a bit (puts something in to wedge the back side up a bit so she can see the quilt enter the foot area and it feeds better) and she makes sure she's quite a bit higher machine quilting than piecing - I think it was the manipulating the quilt that made it so much more challenging.  For the demo she actually stacked two chairs together to get enough extra height - to get her shoulders comfy.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 264
Points 5,053

I have problems with my feet if I sit and sew for a long time.  My feet swell up.  I would think my feet should be a problem if I stand a long time but that's not the case, it's when I sit a lot.  Are there any nurses out there that can say something about this?

Kathy Patterson - Fort Worth, Texas

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 0
Points 0

Kathy,

The legs have one way valves in the blood vessels. If you sit for long periods of time and don't

exercise the legs/feet, then fluid pools in the feet and you have swelling. Try doing ankle twists/rotations

(gently) 10 in each direction every hour. That should help. Do you have the swelling only when

sitting for long periods at the sewing machine? If it occurs at other times you may need to have

it checked out by your Doctor.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,801
Points 420,789
gini replied on Sun, Jun 14 2009 2:05 AM

hi alice,

relax, quilting is fun.   i get up several times an hour.  i put on bouncy music, and keep time with my body and feet.  also, if you can take it,  ibuprofin is an anti-inflamatory as well as a pain reliever.  tylenol is only a pain reliever.  gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 264
Points 5,053

Thanks Wanda, for the information.  It's only when seating for a long time - an hour or two.  Apparently my legs think it is a long time.  Just sewing and on a long driving trip.  I will mention it to my doctor the next time I see her.  That is one thing I avoid - seeing a doctor.  I rarely go to the doctor.  I'm very healthy, just not very smart.  My theory is 'if you start looking for trouble, you're going to find it'.  I know all about preventive stuff but I still don't go until something is bothering me. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,446
Points 127,674

Great tips on the exercise for the legs and feet.  I just cannot sit for long periods of time or my body lets me know about it. Also, taking ibuprophin chronically is not advisable unless your doctor tells you to do so, or, any OTC meds for that matter.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 26,169
Points 387,707
Kris replied on Sun, Jun 14 2009 10:14 PM

Kathy,

If your chair presses into the back of your legs when you sit it may be cutting off your circulation. Make sure the chair is adjusted to a suitable height for you or use a foot rest to help alleviate the pressure. It is also a good idea to do the ankle and leg exercises suggested by others. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 26,169
Points 387,707
Kris replied on Sun, Jun 14 2009 10:16 PM

Cindy,

I use the Wii as well. I really do have a lot of fun. I sure makes exercising more interesting.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 264
Points 5,053

Kris,

Thanks for the foot rest tip.  I have a small plastic foot stool in my sewing room that I use to stand on to reach things on the top shelf.  I will use it while sewing.  I will also do the ankle and leg exercises.  Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.

Page 1 of 4 (47 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.