Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 100
pgraycarek Posted: Thu, Jul 22 2010 4:51 PM

Hello Everyone ...

My name is Pamela ... you can call me Pam if you'd like. Hope you all are doing great!!

I am new to quilting. I have a couple of ladies who started to teach me techniques and basics of quilting. Summer is here and I'm home with my kids, so haven't had a chance to spend much time with them.

I'm hoping you can help me answer this question to ease my mind. My friend has a beautiful long arm that she does her quilting on. I'd love one, but budget just doesn't afford one, and at this time, neither does space. Have any of you used your sewing machines to do quilting with and if so, can I ask how? I've seen some frames in the fons and porter magazine that looks like you can use them with your sewing machine and was also wondering if anyone out here is familiar with these frames or have used one.

Any advice, suggestions and opinions are welcome.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,649
Points 135,957
Leslie replied on Thu, Jul 22 2010 6:17 PM
Welcome to QCA Pam, I know you will love it here.

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,705
Points 436,495
Nana replied on Thu, Jul 22 2010 6:21 PM

Pam

Welcome to QCA.  Hope you enjoy.  I have a midarm on a 12 ft frame but I know lots of ladies do their quilting on the DSM.   I can't handle all the stuffing thru the machine.... hurts my shoulders.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Thu, Jul 22 2010 10:28 PM

Welcome Pam!  I hope you enjoy your time here with us!  There have been many discussion about quilting on a domestic sewing machine (DSM).  If you go to the Forums home page, over to the right you'll see Tags.  Click on the "machine quilting" tag.  That will take you to links of previous discussions on this topic.  You could use the search function, too, as some of our older discussions might not have been tagged.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,301
Points 414,069
gini replied on Fri, Jul 23 2010 12:34 AM

hi pam and welcome,    i've only done a couple of queen sized qilts on my domestic machine,  mostly i do smaller ones and send out the huge quilts.   it involves a lot of rolling and stuffing, so they need to be well basted.    i have practice squares about 2 feet square (i use scraps of fabric and batt)  i use them for new designs and everytime i start quilting a project, i quilt on the practice scrap for a few minutes to loosen up.    you can go over and over the practice squares.   gini

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429

Hi Pam~

Welcome to the group. This is a great group of friendly and helpful people. We do get some quilts made and lots of fun, too.

If you go under Groups on the bar on the home page, look for Jodie's BOM. Go in to Discussions and there were a lot of discussions about quilt as you go and sew and flip method. You quilt the top in smaller sections so you don't have the heavy bulk of top, batting and backing going through the neck of the machine. I've been doing it on this project and really like it. I will probably do all my quilting this way now because I don't have a long arm either. No budget and no space.

North of Boston MA

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,705
Points 436,495
Nana replied on Fri, Jul 23 2010 6:04 AM

Diane

What in the world are you doing up at 2 am....  I thought you were an early to bed person.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,649
Points 135,957
Leslie replied on Fri, Jul 23 2010 6:29 AM
Nana, what are you doing up at 6:00? I've never seen you on here at this time.lol

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,463
Points 137,968
Stephanie replied on Fri, Jul 23 2010 6:32 AM

Diane,

It is possible to quilt on a home sewing machine but it does require a lot of effort in constantly manipulating the quilt around. In free motion quilting You are also limited, by the space you have from throat to needle and scrunched up quilt. My machine has a 7 1/2 inch throat and the quilt took fifty hours to fully stipple. It's in my blog, which you can see by clicking on my name and going to my blog. This is true for anyone's blog. They have several varieties of machines out there that have 11 to 12 inch throat space that are also home sewing machines that could be used on a frame as well. Good luck to you and welcome to QCA  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,705
Points 436,495
Nana replied on Fri, Jul 23 2010 6:39 AM

Leslie :
Nana, what are you doing up at 6:00? I've never seen you on here at this time.lol

DH woke me up looking for something for pain.  Just haven't went back to sleep.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 100

Thanks for the nice Welcome Diane ~

I'm so excited to have joined Fons and Porters Website and Magazine. I'm REALLY EXCITED to have joined QCA. This site has been SO HELPFUL to me. Just reading through some of the posts has answered SO MANY questions and has helped give me the motivation to keep quilting. Everyone seems so nice too.

This fall I'm going to a quilt camp, with women who've been quilting for a LONG TIME and I have a VERY LONG ways to go to know what they do. They are teaching me the techniques of quilting, but I don't see them most of the summer (they probably need the break from me ... LOL ... with so many questions and all). So QCA has been a God send for me.

Thanks for the info about Jodie's BOM. It sounds like EXACTLY what I'm looking for.

Have a blessed day!

Pam 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 823
Points 12,720

Hi Pam

Welcome to QCA you will have a great time on this site with so many great people.

Hampshire, England

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use