Need recommendations for long arm machine and frame

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 280
delores62363 Posted: Sat, Jul 17 2010 2:06 PM

Hi, everyone.  I am a newbie to QCA and am in the market for a long arm machine with frame.  I don't want to use my regular sewing machine for quilting, but would rather spend the money for a long arm.  For anyone who owns a long arm machine and/or frame, could I please get the good and bad of  your equipment?  My plans are to narrow down my search and then go and try the machines that I am interested in.    I'm also interested in the automatic quilting attachment (ie., the QBot, etc.)  Any recommendations on those would be helpful too.  Many thanks for all the information and look forward to "meeting" all of you.

Delores

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,729
Points 437,100
Nana replied on Sat, Jul 17 2010 3:55 PM

Delores

You might want to check out the Tin Lizzie and the HandiQuilters.   Both of the systoms are available with the computer system.  Descent prices and come with nice frames.  You also have an option of different throat sizes.....I personally wouldn't go less than 18in and would really recommend something in the 24 to 26 in throat....it gives you better quilting options.  Hope this helps and good luck with your longarm purchase.

If you have the budget to do it the Millinium by APQS or the Gammill are excellent machines but you are looking at a $30,000 or more budget.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,024
Points 16,170
Judy Lee replied on Sat, Jul 17 2010 4:53 PM

Hi Delores,

I love my Baby Lock Jewel.  It comes with the Grace Pennacle Frame and you can add Quilt Motion to it if you wanted Computer aided quilting.  If I am not mistaken, I think it is the most moderately priced machine.

Judy Lee

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,963
Points 368,547
Kris replied on Sat, Jul 17 2010 6:50 PM

I like the Jewel as well. I played with it and the local shop and was ready to buy it but someone beat me to the punch. They now have the Crown Jewel and it's wonderful. Babylock and Handi Quilter machines are made by the same manufacturer. The machines are identical except for the name and price.

I have a Magic frame from New Joy. I really like it.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 280

Thanks for the info, Nana.  The Tin Lizzie was the first machine I tried out.  Since I didn't have anything to compare it too (at the time) I really didn't know much about it.  It had a nice feel to it, though.  I just checked the HandiQuilter's website and it looked nice too.  I really liked the large screen on it for the computerized quilting (my eyes aren't like they used to be).  Thanks again, I really appreciate the input.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 280

Thanks, Judy Lee for the info.  To tell you the truth, I didn't know Baby Lock made a long arm machine.  I just check it out on their website and will put it on my list to try out.  I'm going to have so much fun, I can't wait to get started.  :)

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 280

Thanks, Joy for the info.  After Judy Lee told me about the Baby Lock, I immediately went on their website and really liked what I saw.  I want to check out the frame you mentioned.  By chance do you know their website?  I will try to google it and see if I can come up with it.

I want to thank everyone for all their information.  I know I am going to learn a lot from this group.  I love it already!  I'm also going to have to find a nice avatar for my picture --  I look a little "grey" in my current picture.  Heehee.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,729
Points 437,100
Nana replied on Sat, Jul 17 2010 7:22 PM

Delores

I am afraid your avatar makes you look a little sickly....LOL.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,963
Points 368,547
Kris replied on Sat, Jul 17 2010 8:21 PM

delores62363:
I want to check out the frame you mentioned.  By chance do you know their website?

Delores,

I think you meant this post for me. Here's a link to the New Joy Magic frame. They have their own machine but I wasn't really impressed with it.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use