Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 20 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 123
Points 2,500
Applekrisp Posted: Tue, Jul 13 2010 4:49 AM

Just getting into this website and enjoying things.  I have been quilting for about 43 years now, always learning, always growing in the process.  I have a blog that I set up when we moved this past year, it is at http://www.sisterofthedivide.blogspot.com  it shows some of my work in a variety of mediums.  I am still uploading past projects.  The last 4 years have been a challenge, thank goodness I have had quilting to fall back on for a meditation.  I lost my mother to cancer, then our mortgage business failed, then we lost our two homes and I was diagnosed with cancer this past year.  We moved from our home the month before my surgery which was quite the endeavor.  I am pleased to report the surgery went well and I am cancer free, with no need for chemo or radiation!  I have learned in this process what things are most dear in life, (by the way...it's not your stuff).  I have had the most wonderful time unpacking fabric and re-exploring my stash, folding and sorting.  We were so fortunate to be able to rent a beautiful home from wonderful folks, I am working for a Doctor in town and my husband is running our insurance agency...so we are gradually seeing a financial turn around.  I spent my time last year working on charity quilts.  I found that my burdens lifted with the thought that someone in need would be snuggling under one of my quilts!  When you are down and have nothing, look for what you can give to others and you will find the most incredible joy, it doesn't have to be a material gift, service is always wonderful as well.  At any rate, I am happy to be alive, happy to be able to pursue my passion and enjoying the beautiful and inspirational photos of all my fellow quilters on this website.   Glad that I joined and looking forward to a year of inspiration and learning!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,599
Points 48,445

Good Morning Applekrisp. Welcome to QCA. You will have lots of fun here. We have quite a few characters around here. We joke and laugh and goof around and even do some quilting. So, if you have been quilting for 42 years then you must have started as a baby, very impressive. I started quilting in 2008 when my first grandchild was on the way. I have found a new love late in life. LOL I am not real good but I love to try new techniques and have really enjoyed QCA. Explore the "Groups" section to see some of the ongoing projects. Nana is about to start a "bag" project trying ti get some of us control freaks to loosen up a bit. Check out the "New Project" forum,. I hope that's the right name for it. LOL, someone will correct me if my memory isn't working right. There is always something fun going on around here. So feel free to jump in wherever you like and join in on any of the projects.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,599
Points 48,445

I will correct myself. Check out the forum "New Quilt Project" to see what Nana has up her sleeve. I believe it it=s going to start sometime this week.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Tue, Jul 13 2010 8:22 AM

Applekrisp

Welcome to the site.  I am so glad that you seem to be enjoying yourself.  My deepest sympathy in the loss of your mother.  I know how hard that is.   Congratulations on the great outcome on your cancer surgery....so very scary.  I applaud your outlook on life...God has blessed you in many ways.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 123
Points 2,500

Thanks Nana!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,976
Points 384,332
Kris replied on Tue, Jul 13 2010 1:24 PM

Welcome Applekrisp,

thank you for sharing your story. You are a true inspiration. I hope things continue to improve for you.

I visited your blog. I like your projects. You mentioned "Boxy Stars" from Quiltville. We recently made that as a group project. Check it out in the "groups" section of this site. It's not too late to make one.

Have fun exploring the site.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429

Welcome Applekrisp~

Love your user name...love apple crisp! Every time I see your name I will be craving apple crisp and drooling on my keyboard.

it sounds like you have been through a lot but it's amazing to come out of that tunnel with a new vision and attitude. It's what keeps us going. My condolences for the loss of your mother. And cancer free? Nothing could be better. Congratulations.

You will love it here. There are so many things to check out and see. Every one is so nice, friendly and helpful.

join in the fun for the "New quilt Project" that will be starting soon. It is so much fun to work with a group!

North of Boston MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,657
Points 136,092
Leslie replied on Tue, Jul 13 2010 6:49 PM
Welcome Applekrisp, I just know you will love it here.

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,746
Points 419,989
gini replied on Tue, Jul 13 2010 10:37 PM

hi applekrisp, and welcome.  i am glad you are enjoying it here, you have had a rough year, my condolences on losing you mother and  i am glad you  had a successful surgery.   i have been quilting about as long as you, after sam and the kids it is the love of my life.    have fun here and  hope you join us in forums.   gini 

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,746
Points 419,989
gini replied on Tue, Jul 13 2010 10:40 PM

i just checked out your blog, you've made some pretty quilts.  love the first one  gini

gini in north idaho

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 381
Points 5,125
Annette replied on Tue, Jul 13 2010 11:14 PM

Greetings Applekrisp!  Welcome to the group!  I sure hope things are looking up for you.

Annette

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 589
Points 4,969
Bonnie replied on Tue, Jul 13 2010 11:50 PM

Applekrisp ~ WELCOME to you wonderful group.  We are soo glad to have you.  Thank you for sharing your story and so glad to hear that you are cancer free.  I am a 33 year survivor of uterine cancer.  Please accept my condolences on the loss of your mom. I sure hope that you jump right in and join our project starting this week.  With all your years of experience, expect us to pick you brain a little bit every now and then.

Bonnie, NorCal

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 123
Points 2,500
Applekrisp replied on Sat, Jul 17 2010 10:56 PM

Thanks to all who have welcomed me.  I have been staying up late at night watching quilt videos and cutting 2 1/2 inch strips from my  "scrap" bin.  When we moved last year (the month before my surgery) all of my fabric was packed into boxes and several truck loads later...it's here at the house...LOL.  Well, it has forced me to take stock of the situation and given me the opportunity to fold and sort fabric by color, etc.  I cannot bear to toss fabric out, so I have made a deal with myself, if it's not a fat quarter it goes in the bin and has to be sliced.  Then I know it will be ready for me when I want to do something scrappy.  It will probably take me a few weeks to cut it all up, but any new projects I'm working on...that is the rule and before anything gets put away...it gets cut up.  My strip pile is growing by leaps and bounds.

Applekrisp is what I baited my husband with...it works...!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 123
Points 2,500
Applekrisp replied on Sat, Jul 17 2010 11:03 PM

today it was 107 here...I stayed in and sewed...made a jacket to wear and put the tutorial up for my knitting/crochet needle case on my blog site.  I would love any feed back.  I'm trying to get other gals in our area to share their quilting, but we are in a pretty rural area and I think they are just shy.  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,976
Points 384,332
Kris replied on Sat, Jul 17 2010 11:45 PM

Applekrisp,

your tutorial is great. I want to make one and I haven't crocheted or knitted in ages. I love the fabrics you used for the demo.

Your jacket is cute too. I checked out the site for the pattern.  Maybe I could make a patchwork one for winter.

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use