Help! My quilts are not warm!

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 17 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 280
Ktype Posted: Fri, Jul 2 2010 6:50 PM

I have made several flannel quilts and my family loves them and use them all the time.  Beautiful flannel is sometimes difficult to find in our area, and there's so much wonderful cotton fabric available, so the last few quilts I've made have been cotton, but the family doesn't use them saying "They're not warm."  I agree, they don't warm you up very well.  What can I do to make cotton quilts feel warmer so they'll be used?  I've thought of using flannel backing, but, once again, flannel is not always in abundance in our area, which, by the way, is Oregon. 

• | Post Points: 80
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,024
Points 16,170

Hi Ktype,

I just tried the new wool batting from Quilter's Dream.  OMG, it is so soft and the has a light warmth not hot and itchy.  The wool of today does not shrink any more than cotton even with normal washing.

Judy Lee

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,108
Points 109,585

I use cotton batting and back my quilts with flannel. They're pretty heavy. The kids like them because the flannel  is not only cozy, but it helps keep them from slipping off the bed in the wee smallies.

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 280
Ktype replied on Fri, Jul 2 2010 7:26 PM

Thanks Judy!  I'll have to give that a try.  Hopefully I can find it in my area.  I'm not too batting savvy but I was also thinking of trying thicker batting.  I don't know.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 280
Ktype replied on Fri, Jul 2 2010 7:29 PM

I have considered trying that, Chocake2.  The heaviness doesn't bother me.  The only problem is finding the right flannel.  In the stores in my neighborhood flannel is about one percent of their stock.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 122
Points 2,390

I'm also a fan of using flannel to back my quilts, especially for children. I've used Fabric Depot in the past to order fabric online and have been very impressed. I checked and they do have a good selection of quilting flannel and coincidentially are offering a 35% off sale this weekend.

No endorsement, but I've used Fabric Depot before and have been very satisfied.

Renton, WA

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 589
Points 5,919
Bonnie replied on Fri, Jul 2 2010 10:06 PM

Ktype - Where abouts in Oregon are you?  I know that since they remodeled our Wal-mart, there is hardly any flannel and very little fleece.  Reno is 100 miles away and not always convenient to go to.  We have a new LQS that a lady is running out of her garage, but not alot flannel and she is pretty pricey.  Beings I'm in Calif, and a state worker, I now make federal minimum wage of 7.25 an hour (when I go back to work later this month), I can't afford her stuff either.  So, I feel your pain about being able to get flannel.

Bonnie, NorCal

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Fri, Jul 2 2010 10:13 PM

Ktype

I have used a small wale corduroy for quilt backs when I am looking for extra warmth.  I have also double the batting.  I really like cotton battings but I do think the high loft polyester is warmer.  You may also try some of the online quilting stores for your flannel.  There are several sites that carry nice flannel that isn't too badly priced.   I have also used fleece for quilt backing....very warm.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 212
Points 4,380
Gale replied on Fri, Jul 2 2010 11:56 PM

I have only made one lap quilt so far but I used quilting cotton on both sides and cotton batting. When I first put it over me, it doesn't feel as warm as, say, our fleece blankets-but it warms up in a few minutes. And it's a lot prettier. :D

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 186
Points 4,891

I have used flannelworld.com several times and been satisfied.  you can also order from Joann's or Hancocks and if you use the coupons you get in the mail, its cheaper, too!

Rose Hall

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 280
Ktype replied on Sat, Jul 3 2010 11:43 AM

I'm going to check that out, Vicki.  Thanks for the tip.  The only question I have is have the colors been true to what you see online?

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 280
Ktype replied on Sat, Jul 3 2010 11:46 AM

Thanks Nana!  I'm not a big fan of fleece so don't think I'll go in that direction.  Corduroy is an interesting idea and might work out for some of my "manly" quilts! 

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 280
Ktype replied on Sat, Jul 3 2010 11:48 AM

Thanks Gale!  I leave the all cotton quilts on the back of my couches.  The kids will cover themselves for a while, then hunt out the flannel quilts.  I really do like the variety and brightness of cotton colors though so I'm going to keep working on this!

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 280
Ktype replied on Sat, Jul 3 2010 11:48 AM

Thanks Rose!  I'm going to give the online shopping for flannel idea a try.

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 280
Ktype replied on Sat, Jul 3 2010 11:59 AM

Hi Bonnie!  I'm 75 miles south of Portland, Oregon, where it rains in July! and is quite cold and dreary in the winter.  That's why we love our quilts!  Good luck finding some reasonably priced flannel.  I think I'm going to try online flannel shopping.  I've purchased quite a bit of fabric online but only when I know exactly what I'm looking for, ie. manufacturer, fabric name, color, grouping, and have been able to find some reasonable prices, but window shopping for something that I hope works out is a new adventure!

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use