Top 10 Posters

New Quilt Project READY...SET....GO

Page 5 of 20 (291 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 290 Replies | 11 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 429
Points 8,695
Sabrina replied on Tue, Jul 6 2010 1:16 AM

I think that size will be fine. I was planning something a bit bigger than a baby quilt. I can always adjust the ssize with borders if I need to. Thanks Nana.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Tue, Jul 6 2010 1:17 AM

Sabrina you are very welcome.  I hope you have fun with this project.  Just try to remember to check your values as you choose fabrics.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,494
Points 46,835

Here is a pic of my strips. This value thing is tough. Opinions?

I am iffy on some of the mediums - they might be dark.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,494
Points 46,835

Some of the darks might be medium. LOL, HELP!

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 28
Points 1,140

Sounds fun and exciting!! Will start lookin!

** Give Me The Simple Life **

Cathy-B-Quiltin

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 70
Points 1,870

NO control here  As i was try to unterstand value and pick out my fabric yesterday My GD kept asking what I was doing She would say Nanny that don't match !!! Nanny what are you thinking !!!! thought i was going to have to get her a valium future control freak for sure. I am Happy With Scrappy.I can remember my Grandmother making a quilt where the pattern was just 1 piece about 4" long and there was no 2 piece the same.One like thats on my list of things to do

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,405
Points 415,659
gini replied on Tue, Jul 6 2010 9:40 AM

pat, nice selection of colors,  i find if i squint hard at the fabric the values become more apparent   gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Tue, Jul 6 2010 12:38 PM

Pat

I would trade out the first 4 strips on the left hand medium set with strips 5 &6 and 10 & 11 in the darks.  Otherwise I think your values are fine.

Pat Lancaster:

Here is a pic of my strips. This value thing is tough. Opinions?

I am iffy on some of the mediums - they might be dark.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429

I don't have the red see through thingey but I squinted like gini said and I could "see" that the 1st 4 in the mediums were too dark. It was an epiphany! I still haven't plcked my fabrics yet. Right now the sunroom is like an oven and just too hot to go out there. When I'm on my East Coast Bucken Ears adventure this Sat. I'll be looking for my lights, meds and dks. with lots of help from Marie and Kris.

North of Boston MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Tue, Jul 6 2010 12:52 PM

Diane

I am so proud of you....YEAH,   You are learning values.   I don't have the red thingy either and so far haven't found one in any of the stores that I have been in.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 70
Points 1,870

YEAH!!! I got my strips cut today I am ready Nana, BRING IT ON !!!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,387
Points 175,288
Marie replied on Tue, Jul 6 2010 3:31 PM

Diane Morgan:
with lots of help from Marie and Kris.

Diane I actually laughed out loud when I read that.  I'm really bad at value and not getting any better.  You'll have to rely on Kris and the shop owners who are very helpful.  Can't wait til Saturday.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,736
Points 364,792
Kris replied on Tue, Jul 6 2010 4:36 PM

Pat,

I love your fabrics. 

I have my darks and border fabric. haven't decided on mediums and lights. Trying to pick out of the box (for me) fabrics.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,494
Points 46,835

Thanks Nana. I have a hard time believing my eyes. LOL The value looks so different in the pic than on my wall. It is hard to decide which is right. The 4 in the med group just don't "look" dark on the wall, but they sure do in the pic. I made the changes you suggested and I am going with it. I said I wasn't going to stress over this quilt and I am not.

Gini, I read your post at work and sat there squinting at the monitor trying to decide on the value. When I realized how dumb I probably looked I was glad that no one came into my office while I was squinting.

I do have the red "thingie"  (Ruby Beholder) and I don't think it helps me as much as seeing a pic, but maybe I just need to use it more.  I think I got it online but don't remember for sure.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429

I can do value with paint and I think I can do it with fabric. I don't usually have a problem with color choices but this is new which is a good thing. I love new things.....it's all part of the learning experience.

North of Boston MA

Page 5 of 20 (291 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use