Top 10 Posters

Quilts of Valor Group - Are you interested?

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 19 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 230
Points 6,005
Sharon Posted: Mon, Jun 28 2010 9:24 AM

I am starting a Quilts of Valor group and looking for folks interested in topic. Quilts of Valor Foundation (www.qovf.org) presents quilts to wounded soldiers or their families. The quilts can be a patriotic themed pattern, or any other attractive pattern. Usually, someone makes the top and backing and a longarmer provides the batting and quilting. It is given to the soldier in recognition of their valor in combat, and a reminder that they are deeply appreciated by the folks back home. You'll find great information, pictures, and testimonies on their website.

I'm thinking the Quilts of Valor Group will provide a place for us to share thoughts, projects, photos, and answers to questions. Eventually, maybe we can have group challenges or mystery quilts.

If you would like to be involved as a member of the group, or as a champion willing to help get the group going, please let me know!

Sharon

• | Post Points: 110
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,650
Nana replied on Mon, Jun 28 2010 9:27 AM

Sharon

This is a great idea and a wonderful cause.  Our soldiers need all the support they can get.  They risk their lives everyday so that others can have freedom.  The soldiers and their loved ones are always in my prayers.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 552
Points 11,595
Adele replied on Mon, Jun 28 2010 9:29 AM

count me in...  

Adele 

Grand Junction, CO

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 379
Points 5,100
Annette replied on Tue, Jun 29 2010 10:03 PM

I have two sons in the military - one in Army Reserves and one in regular Army.  Count me in.

Annette

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 79
Points 1,975
WeeOne replied on Tue, Jun 29 2010 11:27 PM

Sharon,

I would also like to suggest:  CitizenSAM   

http://www.citizensam.org/

This organization wants quilts, size 4 ft x 6 1/2 ft, to cover our wounded soldiers when being transported on the converted cargo planes and they are also used in the Combat Hospitals.

I have two tops ready to quilt when I get home from fishing in Canada.

Lyn

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 230
Points 6,005
Sharon replied on Wed, Jun 30 2010 6:20 AM

Just a quick update for everyone: The group skeleton is being constructed, so it will be a few more days to get it ready to go. Please pass the word on to others who might be interested in QOV. I met a lady at the quilt store yesterday who loves the idea of quilting for our soldiers. I'll be sending her links to QCA and to QOVF.

Sharon

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 552
Points 11,595
Adele replied on Wed, Jun 30 2010 11:49 AM

Great, I cant wait.... and the general Charity group is in the works as well.  YAY should be a lot of fun

Adele 

Grand Junction, CO

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 212
Points 4,380
Gale replied on Wed, Jun 30 2010 1:18 PM

I'm interested. In going through my stash I have found a few fabrics that aren't really my style anymore, but would probably be perfect for this program. Plus if I can just do tops and backings that would really speed up my stash busting (so I can buy more!)

I'm a bit behind on things right now though but would like to join and eventually get some done.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 230
Points 6,005
Sharon replied on Wed, Jun 30 2010 1:33 PM

Glad to hear that the general charity group is also in the works!

Sharon

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 230
Points 6,005
Sharon replied on Wed, Jun 30 2010 1:36 PM

Gale, thanks for your interest!  Visit their website (www.qovf.org)  to see requirements for the tops (size and all) for your planning. When the group is available, join anyway and follow the fun and give encouragement until you can warm up your sewing machine.

Sharon

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 448
Points 5,660
CJ Hines replied on Wed, Jun 30 2010 2:17 PM

Sharon--I've been wanting to do a Quilt of Valor for a while but haven't got it done. Please count me in!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 521
Points 9,969
Jean replied on Wed, Jun 30 2010 2:35 PM

Sharon

Yes, please count me in for the QOV as I know it is a wonderful cause.  Both my sons are in the military (USAF) and I was in the USAF as well.  I belong to a group here locally as well but would love to participate in the QCA group as well.

Patch Up America.....Make A Quilt

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 230
Points 6,005
Sharon replied on Wed, Jun 30 2010 4:29 PM

I think we will all be motivated to keep our QOV projects going! Welcome. The actual group is under construction, but I am working feverously to get some initial content set up. Just a few more days. Got to wait for the admin to get back from her long July 4th weekend.

Sharon

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 230
Points 6,005
Sharon replied on Wed, Jun 30 2010 4:33 PM

Jean, it is a wonderful cause, that's for sure. Is your local group focused on Quilts of Valor specifically?

Sharon

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 521
Points 9,969
Jean replied on Wed, Jun 30 2010 7:40 PM

Sharon of Raleigh:
Is your local group focused on Quilts of Valor specifically?

Sharon, this particular group "yes".  Meet only once a month but there is a group of women from the local AFB that also work on the quilts and bring it to this shop to be quilted and they will do the binding on our quilts and they are the ones that ship them off.

Patch Up America.....Make A Quilt

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use