Ok... How many do you have?

Page 2 of 3 (38 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 37 Replies | 8 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 33
Points 800

I too have the sickness, just not as much time collecting yet.  I have 3 years worth of magazines which I just can't throw away.  I look at them and think "what if inspiration for my next quilt comes from that one?"  I have only a dozen books, and can't help but look at more.  I also have started saving patterns on my computer and that folder is growing quickly.  So many great patterns and tips to save!  Give me a few more years and my collection will be nearly out of control, I'm sure!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,771
Points 65,968
Jeanine replied on Sat, Jun 26 2010 3:46 PM

I'm not going to answer to original question about how many.  But I do want to emphasize that the point to buying the books and magazines is not only to make something from them but to keep you inspired to make something...anything.  If you adjust your expectations and stop assuming you need to actually make something based on your purchase and not just simply enjoy them and dream.  That is satisfaction in its own way.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,403
Points 119,661
Patti replied on Sat, Jun 26 2010 4:08 PM

I. . . uh. . . really don't know how many I have.  Not a lot.  I think 3 currently.  Not sure which ones.  I very consistently took Fons and Porter's love of quilting, and quilters newsletter and of course the quick and easy quilts.  Then a couple months ago I decided to try one or two(?) others.  About the time one or two (?) were lapsing.  Of course according to my renewal notices everything is always lapsing.  So ask me in a about 3 months, by then the ones that come quarterly will have arrived, so I will know if I got subscriptions to them.  Every once in a while I see a quilting magazine at the store, and I think about purchasing it, then I wonder, "do I have a subscription to that?" 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 381
Points 5,125
Annette replied on Sat, Jun 26 2010 4:44 PM

Well said Jeanine!

Annette

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

Kelley, I have fewer than I did last year at this time! I went through all the books and magazines I had and gave what I didn't want to the Sr. Citizen Center - about 400! I kept those I wanted and that's it. I have probably 10 quilts I've marked that I'd like to make, but we'll see. Sometimes I like them initially and then a couple of months later, when I look at them, I'm not as enamored as I was.

Gillette, WY

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,541
Sandy H. replied on Sat, Jun 26 2010 8:09 PM

Way too many!   I started going through them one time to get rid of them, but kept seeing patterns that I wanted to keep so just gave up.  I've found that many times a pattern that didn't appeal to me the first time I saw it will become the pattern that I absolutely have to make the next time I see it.  So, I'm afraid to get rid of any of them!

Southwest Florida

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 221
Points 3,155
Char replied on Sat, Jun 26 2010 8:44 PM

Nana,

I am like you..I have more than I am willing to count, but I can NOT give away or throw them away. I have a metal filing cabinet full of quilt books, I have a storage bin full of patterns, I have stash fabric I picked out with the mag/book/or pattern folded into the fabrics that that fabric was purchased for....haha. So, I can't even count them if I wanted to, or I would have to unfold all my stash fabric which takes up the sewing area in the basement and the part of the garage that has tote bins full of fabric in them too.

I do go back and look at them all the time, I actually looked at one Thurs night from 2008, and found a pattern I have been wanting to do since I first saw it in the mag....I looked thru my stash to find the beginnings of it last night. I will make that one soon. (Tennessee Twist in Quilt-World,  2008)

Charlotte

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 14,338
Points 249,932
Thea replied on Sat, Jun 26 2010 8:50 PM

Kris - I am similar to you! 

Kris:

No exact count Kelley but I have two large binders, one medium sized rubbermaid container, two plastic file holder boxers and one of those stackable cupboard thingies you buy at WalMart to organise closets.

I have every quilting magazine, booklet, pattern, I've ever purchased since I started quilting nine years ago. I will not, cannot count individual magazines. I'm afraid to.

I have every magazine that I have ever purchased or had a subscription too - I keep thinking i'll go through them and weed through - but it never happens - I end up being the go to person in Enid when someone needs a pattern from one.  I have magazines back to 1976 I believe... but it is a great sickness if you ask me!!! LOL

I have tons of books too - I love reading through them they give me so much inspiration.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,476
Points 24,140

I am ashamed to say that I have more quilt books than our local library, or that you can find at Barnes and Noble in the quilting section. I am the worst bookaholic. I periodically go t hru all my magazines and tear out the patterns I want to make, or think I might make, and give away the ones that I know I will never use. We have a program at our guild where we bring out unwanted magazines and someone can buy them for 25 cents. I get rid of my unwanted mags that way. Sometimes I take them in to the hospital waiting rooms and leave a few here and there. Don't you hate it when you are in a waiting room that all you can find is the Sports Illistrated or something like that?  I keep saying I will not buy another book, then a new one comes along that I just cannot resist. Someone help me!!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,662
Points 136,142
Leslie replied on Sat, Jun 26 2010 10:09 PM
I don't want to even think about it, When my ceiling comes crashing down on me, because my sewing room is upstairs, that's when i 'll know i have to many lol.

[Ava, Missouri

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,771
Points 65,968
Jeanine replied on Sat, Jun 26 2010 11:48 PM

Annette:

Well said Jeanine!

Of course I said this only to justify my bad habit of continually buying books, patterns, and magazines I don't actually use.  I can pretty much justify all my bad habits to some degree!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,403
Points 119,661
Patti replied on Sun, Jun 27 2010 7:59 AM

Don't know if I will ever stop buying quilting books and magazines.  I rarely make anything from them, but I do find them to be so inspirational.  Now cookbooks and cooking magazines I have stopped buying.  I will never in 10 life times get around to cooking a tenth of the recipes.  And they don't inspire me to be creative and come up with original creations like quilting magazines do.

A couple years ago I was going though my cooking magazines.  I noticed that one magazine cover looked a lot like the one from 3 years earlier.  Exact same picture, slightly different angle.  But even worse, inside it was the same exact recipes.  (plural).  Never bought that magazine again!

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,757
Points 120,645
Linny t replied on Sun, Jun 27 2010 9:06 AM

Nana:
I am not even going to start counting.  Let's just say that I have enough magazines and quilting books to make quilts for at least 3 lifetimes.

Ditto.

I have a few less because I had some current ones on the floor by my bed and overnight my plumbing broke.  I woke up to a flood.

I must say here that I do look back to them.  I have been trying to think of the best way to organize the patterns and ideas I want to use.  The pile is too big and I have way to little time.  If I stop to do this, I won't quilt or sew again in my lifetime, LOL. 

linnyt

Linny T

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 19
Points 435
Ohiogal replied on Sun, Jun 27 2010 9:36 AM

I have about 25 mags and around 15 books. I like that some of the newer mags have a CD with the templates on them. I recently won one at a get together. I played the CD yet.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 51
Points 960

I don't even waht to count them. When I moved into the old motorhome we have that my husband turned into my sewing place my books and mags has taken up all 4 storage bins in what was the kitchen area with no room left to put in another book or mag. So now I will have to work on the bins int the front ( 5 of them ). The closet and overhead bins in the bedroom are full of fabric. But I still have all of the outside under the motorhome storage places of it comes to that. And maybe them I can say way to much.

Marty from TX

Page 2 of 3 (38 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2017 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.