rated by 0 users
This post has 58 Replies | 10 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,765
Nana replied on Fri, Apr 8 2011 10:58 AM

Linda

I just started quilting a king size quilt on my Horizon using monofilament thread.  I haven't had to change anything.  Did you maybe pull your fabric too quickly catching the needle?

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 210
LINDA DD replied on Fri, Apr 8 2011 11:13 AM

Nana. I don't think so, fortunately, it was the first time I had tried it so I was using a scrap and not on my quilt. I was discouraged and thought about putting my Rose back on the table but didn't. WHen I go home tonight I will try again (very nervous). Should the hole plate be closed?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,765
Nana replied on Fri, Apr 8 2011 11:37 AM

Linda

My hole plate is not closed.  Don't know if that makes a difference or not.  I sure do like the extra room in the throat area.  I can put my oversize king thru without fighting to get it to fit.  It is wonderful.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 210
LINDA DD replied on Fri, Apr 8 2011 11:51 AM

okay, question on the lcd screen were you in (dis)? because mine asked several questions which required (okay) as the answer and then the hole plate moved into the closed position?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,765
Nana replied on Fri, Apr 8 2011 12:52 PM

Linda

I am not in DIS.  I am just using the straight stitch from turning the machine on.  I guess it is the default stitch. Then I lowered my feed dogs to do free motion quilting.  So far is working great.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 210

Thanks, I'll try that tonight when I get home and let you know how I make out. I really wanted to finish this quilt on JH and see how much room  I have.  The rose was very small. This was a gift for my 65 th BD on monday. I don't free any older, but the red tape the gov puts on us is mindboggling.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 210
LINDA DD replied on Mon, Apr 11 2011 10:34 AM

Nana,

I spent the weekend trying everything I could to get my free motion to work with monofilament thread. I would get it working on scraps material and switich over to my quilt and it would not work and I must have pulled out the stitching 3/4 times. It would either be loose on the top or bottom. I adjusted tension just couldn't get it right. The mono would get stuck in the bobbin case and I had to take the plate off (did that 5/6x's). Finally, I bought new mono and went back to the DIS setting and it seems to be working. How, frustrating. I dont' think the instruction book is that great. I like the one that came with my Rose awhole lot better.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,765
Nana replied on Mon, Apr 11 2011 10:39 AM

Linda

It sounds like you had a bad spool of thread.  That has happened to me several times.  If the spool happens to be one that was wound at the end of a run of thread it sometimes has defects in it.  I hope things get easier for you soon.  I am loving my Horizon.  The extra few inches in throat space makes a world of difference.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 210
LINDA DD replied on Mon, Apr 11 2011 11:17 AM

Nana

Learning curves can be frustrating for sure. I know once I can sit down and sew without problems it will be great.

thanks Linda

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,994
Points 64,435
Robin replied on Sun, May 29 2011 11:11 AM

Hi Everyone,

I might be in the wrong spot for this post but when I search Janome this is what came up.  I'm looking for information on a Janome 5700 embroidery machine.   I have a chance to purchase one for 300.00 but I want to know if it worth it in light of some of the cheaper embroidery machine on the market today.   It has not been used much but I'm having problems finding the specs on it.

Robin

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,994
Points 64,435
Robin replied on Sun, May 29 2011 11:12 AM

Hi Everyone,

I might be in the wrong spot for this post but when I search Janome this is what came up.  I'm looking for information on a Janome 5700 embroidery machine.   I have a chance to purchase one for 300.00 but I want to know if it worth it in light of some of the cheaper embroidery machine on the market today.   It has not been used much but I'm having problems finding the specs on it. 

Robin

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

Robin - you might want to just start a new thread with your question.  I'm not much help for you  'cause I have a Janome 350E embroidery machine.

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,994
Points 64,435
Robin replied on Sun, May 29 2011 7:40 PM

I couldn't figure out how to start a new thread :(.

Robin

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,809
Points 43,669
Eileen replied on Sun, May 29 2011 8:03 PM

Robin, I poked around - I didn't know where to go to start a new thread either.  Since you have a question, I found the thread for that & here is the link - you should see something in blue about creating a new post:

http://www.quiltersclubofamerica.com/forums/138.aspx

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,358
Points 414,944
gini replied on Sun, May 29 2011 11:36 PM

robin and eileen,  click on forum subscriptions at the top right,   it will take you to some headings.  you wil l probably want the first one , i think it is quiltmaking, click on that.   at the top right  of this new page, in blue, you can see the spot to start a new thread   

gini in north idaho

Page 3 of 4 (59 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use