Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 24
Points 410
Katherine "Sue" McGarry Posted: Fri, Jun 11 2010 4:00 PM

I have the blue round blade shapeners.  I have used then to the letter with little luck.  Anyone have a good way to truly sharpen quilt blades.  I am on a tight budget and would love to get some xtra use out of them.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Hi Katherine and welcome to QCA.  I'm not sure what sharpener you are talking about.  I have the one that you put the blade in and you spin it between sandpaper (at least that is what it looks like) and I thought it worked quite well, but mine only works on the 45 mm and I use the 60 mm mostly now.  

USA Sharpeners  happens to be one of the sponsors here.  They have a sharpener that runs around $25 I think.  I have been thinking about ordering it but have not done so yet, it looks like it would be a good one.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

Katherine -- I think I am a gadget junkie.  I have one of those blue sharpeners, which I agree isn't the greatest.  I also have one of the ones that Spud referred you to, which works very well.  I recently purchased one of the new ones by the Grace company that you don't even have to take your blade out of the cutter to sharpen.  It does a good job too.  I got the Grace TrueCut from Nancy's Notions.  I think I got my USA Sharpener one from Clotilde.  I would recommend both of those. 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Thanks Marge, it is good to know that the USA one works as I have seriously considered getting it. I'll have to put it on my wish list.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 823
Points 12,720

Spudgrandma:
I use the 60 mm mostly now.  

Spudgrandma what is the difference (apart from size) in the 60mm rotary cutter, does it go through more layers?

Hampshire, England

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

jay-marie :

Spudgrandma:
I use the 60 mm mostly now.  

Spudgrandma what is the difference (apart from size) in the 60mm rotary cutter, does it go through more layers?

Yes and since I cut several layers at a time it works much better. I originally bought it to cut polar fleece for Christmas jammies as the 45 mm did not work all that well, but now I use it for most everything.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,465
Points 416,829
gini replied on Sun, Jun 13 2010 7:49 PM

jay-marie, it goes through 6 layers really easily   gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

Well Spud, I must be a klutz because I have trouble cutting more than one layer.  They seem to shift on me so my pieces don't come out exact. 

Oh, Thea has one of the new style Grace ones too.   Thea - do you still love yours? 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,465
Points 416,829
gini replied on Sun, Jun 13 2010 9:35 PM

marge, i love the big cutter, i use it 99% of the time     gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

gini:

marge, i love the big cutter, i use it 99% of the time     gini

So how do you keep your fabric layers from shifting when you cut?  Maybe I'm not putting enough umph on my ruler.

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,465
Points 416,829
gini replied on Sun, Jun 13 2010 10:25 PM

i don't know marge, i push down pretty firmly.  make sure it's sharp   gini

gini in north idaho

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use