Page 1 of 5 (69 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 68 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 14,125
Points 252,482
Thea Posted: Wed, May 12 2010 1:37 PM

I told you about the robin nest in the tree... there are 3 babies in it... and today I am not sure how it happened but one of the babie was on the ground - Bear was still outside and cornered the baby - the Robins from all around started screaming... i went out with my broom - partly to keep them from dive bombing Bear and to see if the baby was going to be okay if I could save it...

Well, I got Bear away from it and then got the baby out from under the porch ...I was having a horrendous time trying to catch the little bugger... cna't you see this ole cripple woman trying to catch a baby robin with Mom and Pops and Aunts and Uncles dive bombing me...

Well - I went back in the house and got a small box to catch the baby in... got the ladder and put it up to the tree to put the baby up there close to the nest if I could catch it...

A young couple came walking by and with there help we cornered the baby into the box... I then took it over to the ladder and trying carefully to keep it in the box and up to the branch the nest was on... Well I got close and baby jumped out of box... I couldn't find where it went...

So I climbed back down - looked around on the ground - didn't see the baby anywhere so was hoping baby was up in the tree near Mom and Pops who are now chirping at me - not dive bombing me anymore...

I took the ladder down and went in the house...

I looked out my front window and doesn't the baby fall out of the tree again... so out I go - the baby is streaking towards the road... i was unable to get close enough when it took off and flew across the road and then crash landed... Pops flew over and started hearding the baby up the neighbor's driveway to their barn area where the horse is and over to the pasture...

Mom came and the two of them have been guarding the baby as it learns to fly today... They have been out there diong this for about 2 hours now... i can see the baby every once in a while  - Pops has not left it for any lengthy period... and once in a while the baby will fly enough to get up on the fence... mostly it is just walking around...

I have high hopes that this baby will learn to fly - but what has amazed me all day is the way the Pops has stayed with his baby...

I put note on front door for DH not to let the cats out till all the babies are out of the nest and discovered that we have another nest in the Elm tree of Dove's - Cats may not be allowed out till summer...

It has been a neat experience to watch though.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 92
Points 3,630

This is an amazing story! It reads like a short story!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 14,125
Points 252,482
Thea replied on Wed, May 12 2010 1:41 PM

Thank You Jenny... it was neat to experience it today!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,966
Points 384,102
Kris replied on Wed, May 12 2010 1:59 PM

Thea,

that is a great experience. Thanks for sharing. I hardly see any birds around here.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,737
Points 419,869
gini replied on Wed, May 12 2010 2:19 PM

kris, we made our condo in idaho our full time residence about 6 years ago. i have had bird food out that whole time.  at first i only had crows, geese and chick a dees.  last summer was the first summer that i had a ton of hummingbirds.   this year i have had three different kinds of birds that i haven't seen here before.    we got some new neighbors last summer and they were complaining about the birds waking them up in the morning.   oops.   i didn't tell them it was my fault. every year i have more birds.   our canadian neighbors from way up north don't get hummingbirds, so they like to come sit on my deck and watch them.  is it possible for you to feed birds where you live?           gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,966
Points 384,102
Kris replied on Wed, May 12 2010 2:29 PM

Gini,

I've never tried feeding them. I don't think it would be a problem if I did.

What do you give to them? Do you have to deal with a lot of bird poop?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,737
Points 419,869
gini replied on Wed, May 12 2010 2:43 PM

kris, i have a thistle feeder for the little wrens with tiny beaks,   sunflower seed feeders for bigger beaks, and sugar water for the hummers.   they are at the edge of the deck or hanging in trees.  so, no, i don't deal with any poop.    it takes a while for them to find your feeders, but they are a joy to watch.   especially the hummers.  some of them are fiesty little things.  they will fly right  up to our faces when we are eating and hover to check us out.   they chirp and dive bomb each other.   and, actually, the birch tree now has grass under it from all the fertilizer and seed hulls.  you could start out with a little feeder. if it's on a deck, put a flower pot under it to catch the droppings.    gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 14,125
Points 252,482
Thea replied on Wed, May 12 2010 3:08 PM

Kris I have several bird feeders in my yard... hummers like pretty bright flowers too - the ones that migrate through our area aren't expected for another month.  We have the same groups come through each year - although this is the first year the Robins nested in my Maple and now we have the Doves in the Elm... it is neat to watch the families though... I was told Dove's mate for life... we always see them in twos... We have 4 cardinals that come back every year - they hang out in my back yard near the peach tree and the brideveil(not sure of name won't come to me but is white) bush... and then we usually have tons of blue jays and one wood pecker.

I always thought you weren't supposed to touch the babies but a lady who came about 5 years ago when i rescued a baby told me as long as you put them up close to the nest in a shoe box or something similar that the Mother will take them back... this little guy had a few fluffs still on him - I am hoping that he lives and learns to fly well... I keep seeing him on and off across the street with Pops. 

Of course today we have tons of gackles over there and more Robins and Doves - plus the sparrows... they have all quieted down - sky is getting very dark again - instead of 3 in the afternoon it looks about 9 at night.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Wed, May 12 2010 3:21 PM

About 3-4 years ago we lived in a house with a HUGE sprouce tree in the back yard. The robins built a nest in it... meanwhile, across the street was another old sprouce, occupied by a family of ravens. Well, we had a nasty windstorm one afternoon. when things calmed down I could hear our robins screeching. The kids went out to play and were soon back in the house because our normaly docile tree-neighbors kept diving at them. I went out to see what was the matter, and naturally the kids tagged along. There, along side the drive way, about 40 feet from the base of the tree, was a baby  chick. No sooner had I found the one baby, then DS1 found another several feet away... and that darned old Raven from across the street found the 3rd. He had it in it's beak before i could get to it--all the while the parents were just going nuts. I had no idea what to do withthe hatchlings . The nest was comletely blown out of the tree nad shattered. I made a soft pile of drier lint  & quilty snippets  in a box and put them in a quiet place in the house. They were hungry little buggers and made the fact well known!! I had to close the windows becaus their momma kept crashing into them.

We called my Hubby who talked to the local wild-life expert. His advice was to return them to the nest... When we explained thta it no longer existed and that the ravens were still out seaking a feast, he said to leave them in the box and put it in the tree with some branches secured over the top so the robins could come and go, but the carnivorus neighbor couldn't. We did... and a few weeks later we had the plasure of watching "May & June" learn to fly, from their home in the Budwieser box.

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,966
Points 384,102
Kris replied on Wed, May 12 2010 3:30 PM

Gini,

I'm going to try. There are no trees in our yard but I can put something out on the deck.

Should I just put a variety of things out there and see what comes? I have no idea what kinds of birds live in these parts.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,534
Points 116,685
Linny t replied on Wed, May 12 2010 4:00 PM

Awwww, that's prescious!  How lucky they were to have you as a neighbor!

linny t

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Wed, May 12 2010 4:03 PM

Kris

You can also put a birdfeeder on a shepherds hook and put it in your yard.  They sell a wild bird seed that is a mixed seed that works well.  I don't know that I would put a feeder right on the deck due to the mess from spilled seed and bird feathers , etc.  but they do work really well on the shepherds hook.  Have fun watching your birds.  You will be surprised at all the different ones that come around once they realize there is food close.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 14,125
Points 252,482
Thea replied on Wed, May 12 2010 4:08 PM

Linny, It was a great experience today and I hope that the little fellow learned to fly - I gave him the best chance I could...

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 14,125
Points 252,482
Thea replied on Wed, May 12 2010 4:11 PM

Chocake that is fantastic - yours picture shows babies quite a bit younger then mine... Isn't it nice to save a life like this and the experience your kids had - awesome... feels good doesn't it.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,618

Kris - The shepherds hooks work great.  We have a double hook with two seed feeders and a suet feeder at the edge of our lawn and a single hook with a hummingbird feeder outside our dining room window.  I use a wild bird seed that I buy in big bags at Walmart.  We have doves, cardinals, sparrows and chickadees all the time and some other different birds occasionally stop by.  Our cats have a perch by the window and enjoy watching the hummers at the feeder. 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Page 1 of 5 (69 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use