Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 27
Points 735
Cheryl Robinson Posted: Tue, May 11 2010 7:49 AM

I live on a farm in Eastern Iowa and fell in love with quilting when I made a quilt for my grandson's graduation. I'm 60 yrs old and hope I haven't left it  too late to start a business. Well actually I already had a small business doing clothing alterations. But I found I'd much rather quilt. I've borrowed a lot of money and added an APQS Millenium (14' long), Bernina Artista 640 and a Bernina White Pearl in addition to the Viking Mega Quilter and Viking Quilt Designer II I already had  {In case you can't tell I've always been into sewing. My grandmother was a tailor a re major department store then did alterations in her home until she was in her 80's} .  I have joined a quilt club, purchased some magazine subscriptions and now joined QCA. Looking forward to getting a lot of good information here.

My husband and I hope to make this into a retirement business. He helps me with just about everything and I work outside driving tractor for him. But we can't do that forever.

We have beef cows and feed cattle and raise mostly corn. We have never had to work off the farm but are just large enough to sustain ourselves.

Praying we're not crazy here in Eastern Iowa

Cheryl Robinson

• | Post Points: 125
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,933
Points 383,442
Kris replied on Tue, May 11 2010 8:05 AM

Hello Cheryl,

I wish you all the best in this endeavour.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

Cheryle Hi and welcome to QCA I hope that your endeavour goes as planned...quilting is a great passion of mine and making a living at it would be great....this site is a wealth of information and great ladies to chat with..enjoy!!

Ontario, Canada

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 69
Points 975
mpspeedy replied on Tue, May 11 2010 8:47 AM

Cheryl,  Joining the guilds was a good idea.  I am a handquilter for hire and the long armers have put me out of business.  The money was nice but I miss the work more.  In my experience most quilters like the creating of the top the best and the actual quilting is something they tolerate. I am just the oppostite.  I like the quilting much more than than the construction of the top.

I belong to two guilds.  Each has several long arm quilters who stay very busy.  When we have show and tell at a meeting the majority of the items were quilted by one of the long armers.  We have quite a few large quilt shows here on the east coast.  I have noted that more and more of the quilts shown are longarmed.  I have a feeling that you will be able to make a nice profit from doing work for other people.  Be sure and advertize at your local quilt shops. 

Good luck.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Tue, May 11 2010 9:31 AM

Cheryl

First I would like to welcome you to QCA.  Hope you enjoy your time here and chat with us frequently.  We also love seeing pictures of your work.

I wish you the best of luck on your business endeavor.  How awesome it would be to make money doing something you truly love.  I do know that most LAQ can make good money quilting for others.  It sounds like you have all the necessary equipment.  Have fun and enjoy the process.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,725
Points 419,764
gini replied on Tue, May 11 2010 11:03 AM

cheryl i wish you the bestest luck in your endeavor.   and welcome to QCA. i hop the site provides a lot of good info to you.   htey have just started a series on long arm quilting,  right up your alley    gini

gini in north idaho

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 212
Points 4,380
Gale replied on Tue, May 11 2010 1:10 PM

Welcome Cheryl, from one farmer's wife to another. My husband and I also raise beef cattle and crops (also mostly corn). We live in Indiana.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,414
Points 61,782

Cheryl--

Welcome to QCA.  Sounds like you're well on your way to a successful business venture and I wish you the best of luck.  Making money at something you love to do is icing on the cake IMHO.

Kissimmee, FL

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

Welcome to the QCA forums, Cheryl! Good luck with your business!

Gillette, WY

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 49
Points 265
Sunny replied on Wed, Jun 30 2010 10:36 AM

Hi Cheryl,

We live in HOTTTTT florida 102 degrees with the heat index today. We would love to have a ranch on a couple of acres. We recently purchased 2 german shepard puppies to keep you cocker spanial companionship. I love quilting. I have been quilting for 11 years with my first quilt being for my son. I can afford a long arm yet and I am thinking about opening a business around quilting. I like to make photo quilts. I just do not know how to do about the details like pricing.

GOD Bless,

Debi

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 605
Points 14,486
Tammy replied on Wed, Jun 30 2010 10:55 AM

Cheryl,  You are indeed one busy woman!!  I can only say, "You go girl!!"  I don't think you're crazy or in over your head one bit.  Follow your dream.  You already have the sewing background so go for it.  I also would like to welcome you to QCA.  Unimaginable supply of knowledge here for sure.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use