Top 10 Posters

New to Site - thanks to my Mother's Day Present - Membership!

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 5
Points 185
mjosiem Posted: Mon, May 10 2010 8:32 PM

I grew up with my Mother sewing, and I first learned to put in a blind hem by hand in the back yard of a neighbor's home as we sat and visited one summer.  As kids, my sisters, brothers, and even the neighborhood friends would come over to hand embroider in the back yard.  Now I am passionate about sewing and quilting!  I enjoy all genre's of quilts, from traditional to contemporary.    I also love making art dolls.  I love my old Bernina, and have an embroidery machine and a serger, too.  I am still exploring using my longarm which I purchased a year ago at the Houston International Quilt Festival.  An I just inherited Mom's old Necchi, which, even though the motor was burnt out, I couldn't bear to see go anywhere else.

I am a director of a preschool and kindergarten, so I treasure my weekends, and especially summers, in my sewing studio.  I and the mother of two terrific grown young men, and have two, soon to be three, grandchildren from my eldest.  I am married to the most wonderful person, my best friend.  He loves and encourages me in my creative efforts.  Besides our family time together, he enjoys carving wood spirits, smoking meats, and riding his Harley.

I am excited to join this community, and am thankful for my Mother's Day gift of Membership!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,405
Points 415,659
gini replied on Mon, May 10 2010 8:55 PM

jo hello and welcome, this is a fun site. what a great mother's day gift.    i would love to see some of your quilts and some of your husband's wood spirits.     i learned to sew as a child and have been quilting almost as far back as i can remember.   

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Mon, May 10 2010 9:04 PM

Jo

Welcome to QCA.  Hope you will tell us about your quilting.  We also love to see pictures.  There is a great group of lovely, chatty ladies on this site.  We love to discuss quilts and techniques and families and just anything you can think of.  It is a fun site with lots of inspiration.  Hope you enjoy.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,363
Points 242,417
Thea replied on Mon, May 10 2010 9:11 PM

Welcome to QCA mjosiem... we welcome you here - what a wonderful Mother's Day gift you rec'd.  I hope to get to know you a lot better as time goes on.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,398
Points 119,581
Patti replied on Mon, May 10 2010 9:48 PM

Welcome Jo.  You are a very busy person.  I have a friend who has an all day kindergarten and preschool.  And she keeps very busy, even with her daughter working with her. 

And what a great mother's day gift.  You will enjoy this group.  It has been so inspirational for me.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185
Judy Iliff replied on Mon, May 10 2010 10:30 PM

Welcome to the QCA forums, Jo! There are many teachers, both retired (me) and still practicing in the group. In which state do you live?

You know, I need to practice my reading skills. I read the title of your thread 3 times before I read it correctly. I thought it said, "New Site - thanks to my Mother's Day Present - Membership". I couldn't figure out why someone had purchased a new site. LOL!

Gillette, WY

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,744
Points 364,862
Kris replied on Tue, May 11 2010 1:15 AM

Hello Jo,

welcome to the group. Thanks for the wonderful introduction. Sounds like you have a beautiful life. I, like everyone else, would love to see photos of your projects sometime.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,414
Points 61,767

Jo--

So happy you've joined the group.  I'm a retired teacher/librarian so we have a couple of things in common. I look forward to getting better acquainted with you.

Kissimmee, FL

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

mjosiem:
An I just inherited Mom's old Necchi, which, even though the motor was burnt out, I couldn't bear to see go anywhere else.

Welcome Jo!  I would bet that you could get that Necchi resurrected by a good sewing repair guy (or gal).  I used to work for a commercial sewing machine and supply distributor.  We had 6 techs that refurbished industrial machines for resale.  They worked wonders with old machines.  Enjoy yourself getting to know the site and the wonderful people who lurk here. 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 105
Points 1,300
Willie L replied on Tue, May 11 2010 3:45 PM

Welcome to QCA.Hope you enjoy.You must have a wonderful child who gave you this gift.

GA Quilter

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 5
Points 185
mjosiem replied on Sun, May 16 2010 2:40 PM

Willie,  Actually I have two wonderful sons, but it was my fabulous husband who gave me the gift!  See you soon... only a week and a half to go to the school year!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

Hi and Welcome mjosiem...what a great present...I have been a member for a few years now and just love this site...there are lots of great ladies on here and they have a wealth of information to share...we would love to see pictures of work...enjoy the site

Ontario, Canada

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,810
Points 43,674
Eileen replied on Sun, May 16 2010 4:09 PM

Welcome, Jo! You can tell your husband he gave you a great gift and us another member/friend :-)  Nice to have you on QCA!

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use