rated by 0 users
This post has 65 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 179
Points 2,800
Linda Lou replied on Mon, May 10 2010 5:15 PM

Patti,

What an awesome sight!  Which state do you live in?  Here in Friendswood Texas, it is already pushing 90 degrees and no beautiful mountains to look at.   Thanks for sharing

Linda Lou

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,465
Points 416,784
gini replied on Mon, May 10 2010 6:49 PM

linda lou, i'm going to answer for patti, 'cause i think this is really interesting.   patti lives in north central washington, just east of the cascade mountain range, which is the picture.    patti lives almost due east of mt baker in the cascades, which has the highest seasonal snowfall record in the world.   pretty cool, huh?     the cascade range runs from northern california to southern BC, and it is the range that holds all of the vocanoes, from Mt Lassen in CA to Mt. baker in northern WA.   Mt St Helens is in the cascade range and so is  Mt. Rainier.   Mt Mazama used to be a volcano here in southern oregon.  7 or so thousand  years ago it left many feet of ash  all over the northwest and now it is just a high alpine lake, Crater Lake a big tourist spot.  .  it is really neat to fly over the cascades,   you can see several volcanoes at one time from the air on a clear day.   the volcanoes loom over the mountains they come from.   that is probably more than you wanted to know, but i love the pacific northwest.      gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Mon, May 10 2010 10:35 PM

gini:
linda lou, i'm going to answer for patti, 'cause i think this is really interesting. 

Thanks Gini. 

Washington state has everything.  Ocean beaches (but cold water,) fjords and islands.   Rain forest and deserts, forest and plains, rolling hillsl and mountains. I love the basalt cliffs and canyons.  Easter WA is home to the second largest historical basalt flow in the world, the largest having been in India.   Volcanoes, Mt Rainier is the tallest in WA, about 14,000 ft.   A dry side, a wet side.  Moderate temperatures or extremes.  Eastern WA usually is over 100  in August, but sometimes below 0, (F) in winter. 

Thanks all for your comments.  I went on another drive today, but forgot my camera.  I will take another picture later.  Just a couple miles from here, a hillside covered in balsam root (yellow daisy like flower) and blue lupine.  I think I shall have to do a quilt with yellow, green and blue.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,465
Points 416,784
gini replied on Mon, May 10 2010 11:33 PM

yes, patti most people don't realize just how diverse washington is,   even folks that have lived thier entire lives in western washington don't have a clue what it's like on the east side.  my gosh, they'ld have to drive over a mountain pass.     we were headed over steven's pass one beautiful august day.    a couple had stopped at the chain up sign and were putting on their chains?   no wonder they don't venture over the hill.   gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,952
Points 368,312
Kris replied on Tue, May 11 2010 1:09 AM

Gosh Gini and Patti

you sure make WA sound like a place to visit. I'll have to add it to my list.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613
Stephanie replied on Tue, May 11 2010 4:48 AM

Patti, Thanks for sharing this amazing picture. I can't wait to see the next.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429

This is all so interesting. I'm born and raised in Massachusetts and this all sounds like another planet, I wold love to see it some day. Why are there so many volcanoes there? I love to learn about other parts of the country. We are a very diverse country. I know nothing about Canada.

Tornadoes always scare me. Why do people live in areas that are known for tornadoes? Aren't you always on edge waiting for the next one?

One of my dreams was to see the Grand Canyon but I don't travel anymore. So DH and I are like sponges when the Discovery channel is on. We feel like we are going on a trip while we are comfortable on the recliners with our feet up watching a doctumentary about somewhere in the US.

North of Boston MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,465
Points 416,784
gini replied on Tue, May 11 2010 7:01 PM

diane, our volcanoes are part of the ring of fire that surrounds the pacific.   it's where continental plates are plunging under and over one another, creating an opening for the hot magma to  course to the surface.   our  mountains are big wrinkles made by those plates colliding     gini

gini in north idaho

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 823
Points 12,720
Patti what an amazing place to leave it really and truly is breathtaking.

Hampshire, England

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
bgllegal replied on Wed, May 12 2010 8:45 AM

WOW!  What a place to live! 

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 823
Points 12,720
Patti Sorry about the last message it should of course say and amazing place to LIVE I really must rest as my brain has lost it with Fibro fog and those of you with Fibromyalgia will have the same problem now and again. Its a good excuse when I am just being stupid. It really is a wonderful pic Patti and i hope you will post more as it is so different from our green fields and although we have many beautiful places in England we have nothing like this although we do in my home country of Scotland. It does not matter wether you live in a place with a wonderful view or come across it while travelling it always makes me think that God really has made "A marvelous work and wonder" as they say and it really lifts your spirit and heart and soul.

Hampshire, England

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Wed, May 12 2010 9:02 AM

Fybromyalgia...Ladies I've been on Lyrica for over a year, WOW!  It began working by end of day one and is still doing an amazing job for pain.  When my muscles get sore and stiff I take a Flexeril at bedtime or even occassionally during daytime.  I'm so pain free, yet not dopey or drowsy.  Now to work on this arthiritis!  I praise God for His healing touch and the knowledgeable Physicians he has given us to avail ourselves.

Still working diligently at the USCensus2010.  Loving meeting so many wonderful people, a super chance to get to know many more of my neighbors.  Don't know if I'll be able or around to do 2020, but time will surely tell, don't freak out if you see a 78 year old USCensus 2020 knocking on your door, in anothelr 10 years.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,045
Nana replied on Wed, May 12 2010 9:11 AM

Joni

I have considered Lyrica but haven't tried it yet.  Thanks for the awesome review.  It is so hard starting new drugs when you haven't heard any first hand results.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429

gini:

diane, our volcanoes are part of the ring of fire that surrounds the pacific.   it's where continental plates are plunging under and over one another, creating an opening for the hot magma to  course to the surface.   our  mountains are big wrinkles made by those plates colliding     gini

Thanks for the info. Are these volcanoes active? I remember Mt. St. Helen's.  So is this also the reason that CA has so many faults? Sounds frightening with plates moving under your feet. Is it considered dangerous?

North of Boston MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,465
Points 416,784
gini replied on Wed, May 12 2010 1:55 PM

diane, a lot of them are in a dormant phase, but still considered active volcanoes.   baker and rainier jiggle and poof every now and then, mt hood  in oregon, blew a couple hundred years ago.   it's the same thing that's happening in calif with the faults.  the greater seattle area has its own share of faults.  

a big  section of  east slope of the cascades in oregon, for a while had a huge bulge, that was growing at  an inch and a half a year. but i think that's subsided for now.   the vocano in alaska is part of the ring of fire.  we had a good earthquake in seattle a few years ago,    we  watched the hall floor ripple in our office.

they say at some point, mt rainier will blow again.    the size of the mt st helen eruption was a baby compared to  one of the last rainier eruptions.    when rainier goes again,  it could wipe out a lot of seattle, if it blows north west.  they  give lots of warning though.    gini

gini in north idaho

Page 2 of 5 (66 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use