rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
17 Posts
Points 550
ClareRae posted on Sun, Aug 20 2017 10:20 AM

Hello!

I need some advice...

Someone recently contacted me about making them a quilt after seeing another quilt I had made as a gift. This person wanted me to complete a throw size quilt from blocks that were handed down in their family. She sent me the completed blocks and extra material. These are somewhat complex, using a lot of half square triangles and lots of little pieces. After seeing the completed squares and materials she sent, I calculated what I would need to complete the quilt. This included backing, batting, and making several more blocks to match those already completed. I quoted her a price of $400. She got somewhat upset at the price I think (all communication via text, so it's hard to gauge emotion), and asked to negotiate the price. I said I could do something simpler with the material she sent, but it would still be pricy because there's just not enough material to complete the front the way she wants, and I need to consider the other materials not to mention my time... Also, she won't give me a budget to work within. 

Am I wrong? Am I charging too much? I carefully considered the original price, but I'll admit I've never made a quilt to sell like this before. I've made several, but always as gifts for events. 

• | Post Points: 65

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,283 Posts
Points 29,970
Ramona replied on Sun, Aug 27 2017 4:09 PM

ClareRae, 

Does that also include the quilting? For a throw, if all the blocks were there, I would probably be a bit less on my price.  That's just me and the area I live in. Making additional blocks would be a chore in itself and would up the price for sure! Maybe you could forego that portion of it and just put them in a row with sashing around them to trim and make them all the same size. You didn't say how many blocks you have now but maybe you could just put in a square with  matching fabric alternating the blocks and squares?  That way the quilt blocks will be all from the original piecer and mean more. Just an idea.

For a throw 50 x 65 is about an average size.  Adjust it accordingly for the individual. (I have done them approx 60x72).  (I did a 68x68 provided backing, batting, set it together, quilting and binding and charged $216.00 but I am sure I am low.  Just don't seem to get much of your time back in dollars)

Share pictrues!  

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 5

You are NOT wrong. This is an art. You have a skill set that a lot of people don't have. Quilting takes a lot of time and your heart and soul. Don't sell yourself cheap. Offer to teach the person to finish her own quilt... she will quickly understand why the price is what it is.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
695 Posts
Points 12,885
Jan replied on Mon, Aug 28 2017 10:19 AM

I think you are pretty well on target. You have to find fabrics of about the same texture and match or contrast the colors well. That in itself takes time. You certainly can ask her what price she had in mind. But don't sell yourself short we her thoughts are much lower than yours.

Perhaps a bit of a pricing breakdown would help her understand the time making a quilt actually takes.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
3 Posts
Points 15
Anne replied on Wed, Sep 13 2017 2:02 PM

Even though I make all my quilts mostly for family, I just finished a 94" x 108" and charged the woman $85.00.  Carol, provided all the fabric & a drawing of what she wanted.  All I do is the quilt top, the woman that does all my quilting (again,I only make the tops) rates are very reasonable.  Lap quilts (35.00), twin (45.00), Queen (60.00) and King (75.00 - 100.00) ... that includes the batting.  I only furnish the top and backing.

I just finished making 3 lap quilts to hopefully sell at our local Deer Festival and only asking $95.00 each.  Average sizes are: 60" x 70".  I did the quilting on these myself using an embroidery hoop.

We live a rural area and most of us live on SS checks, if I had to pay $400.00 for one small quilt I would have to find a different hobby. PLEASE DON'T TAKE THIS PERSONAL ... I AM ONLY SPEAKING FOR MYSELF.

Not Ranked
19 Posts
Points 200

Take a look at what materials have been given to you. Work with what you got. If you need more materials, contact her and send her to the store to get some. This way she spends her time and money getting the fabrics and thread & you can focus on the quilt. If she lives nearby, have her come over to help you with this project in some way. That way she can why you made your original price so high.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2017 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.