Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,373
Points 143,370
Judy T-Bellingham Posted: Thu, Jul 13 2017 9:35 AM

I just finished Mystery Quilt 14. Wonderful pattern Debi designed for us. I made the blocks half size and then added a couple borders to bring it to the size I wanted. It's 42 x 55. Now all I need to do is layer and quilt it. I'll use flannel on the back. This is the first time I've used exclusively browns in a quilt. I may do this pattern again in lavenders and teals.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 0
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 26,590
Points 392,222
Kris replied on Thu, Jul 13 2017 6:20 PM

Judy, I love this. Great name for it.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 906
Points 15,075
zoetc49 replied on Thu, Jul 13 2017 6:27 PM

When I saw the name I thought, " no, this will make me hungry"...lol  The design and quilt is really amazing !! Very nice !!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,373
Points 143,370

Thanks Kris and Zoe. This was a fun MQ.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Not Ranked
Posts 0
Points 0

It's very nice!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 61
Points 425
Rhonda replied on Tue, Jul 25 2017 6:10 PM

What Inspired Me to Write Our Family Quilt and become a quilting artist

My family and friends, trips to the mountains, baking apple crisps, and quilting.  Everyday experiences nurtured and inspired me to write Our Family Quilt.

Whether I am quilting, writing a book, an article or a blog, it never just happens. It takes experiences, adventures, love, encouragement and support from family and friends.

Our Family Quilt didn’t begin when I sat at my laptop.  A tiny seed was planted in my writing soul when my mom, started me on my sewing journey. A box of scraps of material inspired my first try at putting bits and pieces together to create something new.  A Christmas sewing basket with little scissors, thread, pins and buttons is still treasured. My grandma, gave me her sewing machine she used since the 1930’s. I remember the moment she gave me the machine and tried to weave it into my book. On my thirteenth birthday, my parents gave me a Sears Kenmore that went forward and reverse (which I took with me when I got married, sewed little-boy blankets, and used until it would sew no more). It was those memories I put into words.

Once I was married my husband became my creative sounding board, patiently listening as I created with words, pins and thread. Supporting me with many adventures to fill up pages.

While I was raising children, teaching, and writing articles an idea for a book started brewing. My life supplied the inspiration.  I developed the prologue and the epilogue. I also knew from beginning to end the journey I wanted to take the characters on.  I knew how to sew but not quilt -which was critical in the story. 

I walked into my friend’s office, who quilted, and asked her to give me enough information so I could write my book.

With a happy heart, she took me into my first quilting class and I was off on another adventure.  I went to quilting shows learning everything I could. I joined a quilting guild, listening to all their inspiring speakers and meeting encouraging quilters. I bought quilting magazines and books. As we traveled we stopped at each quilting shop along the way.  As I absorbed new experiences, I became inspired to add a different dimension to both my quilting and my book.

I not only finished the book but fell in love with the art of quilting.  The needle became my pen and the thread my ink. As I wrote about Grace, a master quilter, -as she shared her creative gifts with her young granddaughter, Audrey. I was thinking about sewing with my mom.

As I wrote about their lives unfolding around their family quilt.  The love between grandmother and granddaughter was a mirror of my love for my grandmother.

Each memory you create today becomes a springboard for future creativity. 

As you read about Grace and Audrey, may it inspire a memory for you to use as your own creative springboard.  So you too, may piece together your own family quilt.

Rhonda Cratty

To read: Our Family Quilt: The Fabric of Life visit Amazon.com.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2017 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.