My trip to the grocery store

Page 3 of 4 (55 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 54 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Mon, May 10 2010 9:57 AM

Oh Kathy...As soon as I finish off the chocolate cake DD made yesterday, I may have to make that yummy concoction. Sounds Devine!

Patti, I enjoy tomitillos now and then, but so often the ones I buy seem rather tasteless. Care to offer adviceon how to select the yummy ones?

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,041
Points 369,087
Kris replied on Mon, May 10 2010 10:39 AM

Patti:
Speaking of fruits and vegetables people aren't familiar with, what about tomatillos?

Never heard of those either. Looked them up though. I'm learning.

Thanks for the recipe Kathy.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Mon, May 10 2010 10:48 AM

Kris

Tomatillos make a great salsa.  The one I have used most often you replace at least half of the tomatoes with tomatillos.  It is so yummy.  Hope you try it some time.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

Kathy, would you send/post your recipe to the Quilters Recipes, please? I think it would be easier to find for those of us who want to make it later.

Thanks!

Gillette, WY

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 985
Points 17,309
Kathy D replied on Mon, May 10 2010 3:48 PM

Judy Iliff:
Kathy, would you send/post your recipe to the Quilters Recipes, please? I think it would be easier to find for those of us who want to make it later.

Judy - I have sent the recipe to QCA admin for them to post.  I had forgotten about that blog.

Kathy

Calgary, Alberta

"Friendship is like a rose...opening one petal at a time only as it unfolds...day by day does it reveal its true beauty"

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,544
Points 417,019
gini replied on Mon, May 10 2010 4:51 PM

my gramma used to grow tomatillos eons ago, she called them ground cherries.    gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,402
Points 119,641
Patti replied on Mon, May 10 2010 6:02 PM

Hey, has anyone had grasshoppers before?  Just don't eat the legs, they have barbs.  My DH and a friend once offered to eat them after some Bible study where they talked about John the Baptist and locusts and honey.  They fried them and had some kind of honey dipping sauce.  Everyone watched as they cautiously took a bite, then DH and friend looked at each other and "hey, these are good!"  They were enjoying them so much, the others had to try them too. 

DH taught our 4H kids about bugs, and as part of the education, served grass hoppers.  They were burnt however, and didn't taste as good as lightly fried.  I ate a quarter of a grasshopper, just so I could say I did.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Mon, May 10 2010 6:22 PM

Sorry Patti but there are some things that I am not going to eat and grasshoppers is one of them.  Don't do bugs.....YUCK

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Mon, May 10 2010 8:25 PM

I can't recall ever eating one, Patti, but when we were kids we enjoyed catching them and tossing them onto the grill. Every Labor Day the fire dep in my very small home town would have a steak -fry. They had a huge grill (Maybe 3 feet wide and 10 feet long) that they fired up to cook the steaks and tators on. It was just below the porch of the community building, so us kids could look down on it.  We cooked an awful lot of grasshoppers during the BBQ! They turn a lovely shade of red, like mini lobsters!

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Mon, May 10 2010 9:08 PM

gini:

my gramma used to grow tomatillos eons ago, she called them ground cherries.    gini

My DH talks about his grandmothr making ground cherry perserves.  I had never seen the ground cherries so had no idea what they looked like.  So you are saying that tomatillos are the same thing.  Now I have eaten tomatillos in salsa and other mexican dishes and really like them .  Never associated them with ground cherries.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,544
Points 417,019
gini replied on Mon, May 10 2010 9:13 PM

nana, i'm saying my gramma called tomatillos   ground cherries.   she was a little bit dingy.   she used them in relish, and who knows where she got the name for them. i do remember them growing in her garden.     decades later, we started seeing them in the grocery stores.   i'll go look up ground cherry and see if anything comes up.    gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,544
Points 417,019
gini replied on Mon, May 10 2010 9:15 PM

yep, it's the same thing,  go google it. it's pretty interesting.   another name is cape gooseberry, and they're related to  the japanese lantern.  

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Mon, May 10 2010 9:16 PM

Gini

I know you can make perserves out of regular tomatoes.   So I bet you could do a perserve out of tomatillo especially since they are more tart.....kind of like a sour cherry.   Humm have to do some research on that. 

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185
Judy Iliff replied on Mon, May 10 2010 10:49 PM

Nana:

Gini

I know you can make perserves out of regular tomatoes.   So I bet you could do a perserve out of tomatillo especially since they are more tart.....kind of like a sour cherry.   Humm have to do some research on that. 

I don't do tomatoes or anything that has anything that looks/sounds like tomato in the name, so I've never eaten a tomatillo and I won't in this lifetime! With that being said, I did a search and found a recipe for Tomatillo Jam.

Tomatillo Jam

Gillette, WY

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,041
Points 369,087
Kris replied on Tue, May 11 2010 12:56 AM

Patti:
Hey, has anyone had grasshoppers before?  Just don't eat the legs, they have barbs.

Patti,

I'm with Nana no bugs. Double YUCK.

Page 3 of 4 (55 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use