Page 1 of 4 (55 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 54 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 985
Points 17,309
Kathy D Posted: Sun, May 2 2010 5:25 PM

Today I bought some rhubarb and strawberries for a crumble today.  As the cashier picked the rhubarb up she said 'oh celery' and looked for the code to punch in.  I told her no, it was not celery but rhubarb and she looked at me really weird like it didn't know what I was talking about.  Not finding it (she was looking under veg and it is listed under fruit which I had to point out to her) she had to ask someone what the code was.  She had never heard or seen rhubarb before in her life. I can only assume that she is FOTB and not aware of veg and fruit that is sold in this part of the world.

Yummy dessert for supper tonight.

Kathy

Calgary, Alberta

"Friendship is like a rose...opening one petal at a time only as it unfolds...day by day does it reveal its true beauty"

• | Post Points: 125
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590

OOOh I'm Drooling. Mind if i pop in for dessert??  T

The 'Barb here is just starting to take off. IT'll be ready to harvest in a few eeks, I think. The storm last week really helped. We have a couple plants here, but they are at least a jillion years old and the former tenant mowed over them so many times that they are pretty scrawny. No matter tho, Hubby has a co-worker with a yardful and he shares nicely!

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 212
Points 4,380
Gale replied on Sun, May 2 2010 7:20 PM

How funny!  "um lady, this celery is awfully red. Are you sure you want to buy it?"

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,819
Points 43,839
Eileen replied on Sun, May 2 2010 9:27 PM

Hmm... red celery, white asparagus, blue potatoes...what will they think of next?!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,728
Points 437,065
Nana replied on Sun, May 2 2010 10:02 PM

My DH loves rutabagas but it is very rare when the checkout people know what it is and generally have problems finding it on the code sheet.  I also bought some turnips once and noticed they charged for radishes.  It is really funny sometimes.   Kathy I love rhubarb.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 40
SUSANF-3 replied on Sun, May 2 2010 10:17 PM

My friend from New york calls rutabagas, "parsnips".

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 40
SUSANF-3 replied on Sun, May 2 2010 10:18 PM

I have been using my rhubarb for a week or so here in Illinois. Yummy rhubarb custard pie and plain rhubarb pie. Not good for a diet though!

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 40
SUSANF-3 replied on Sun, May 2 2010 10:18 PM

I have been using my rhubarb for a week or so here in Illinois. Yummy rhubarb custard pie and plain rhubarb pie. Not good for a diet though!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,728
Points 437,065
Nana replied on Sun, May 2 2010 10:19 PM

Susan

I like parsnips too but rutabagas and parsnips are two different vegetables.  Actually very yummy cooked together.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,956
Points 368,407
Kris replied on Mon, May 3 2010 1:10 AM

Sorry but I don't know what a rhubarb is. I'm going to have to look it up.

I know I bought pistachios once and the young man at the register did not know what they were. He rang them up as peanuts (which are much cheaper) I pointed out the mistake but he didn't fix it. My lucky day.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,956
Points 368,407
Kris replied on Mon, May 3 2010 1:14 AM

OK looked it up. Nope never had it. Not sure I've ever seen it either. I'll keep an eye out next time I go grocery shopping.

Did you know rhubarb root can be used as a laxative? Learn something new every day.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

Kris:
Did you know rhubarb root can be used as a laxative?

And the leaves are poisonus.  My Mom had rhubarb in her garden when I was growing up as well as currant bushes and chive plants --- something you just don't see in gardens anymore.  But then, you don't see home veggie gardens like you did back in the days when most Moms stayed at home. 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Mon, May 3 2010 7:32 AM

I get rutabagas, parsnips and turnips mixed up.  But I know the beets, they are red.  I love rhubarb.  The first time I saw kumquats I didn't know what they were.  I was a poor college student.  I bought 2.  Peeled them before I ate them.  Later learned the peel is the good sweet part.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 985
Points 17,309
Kathy D replied on Mon, May 3 2010 9:41 AM

Kris:
OK looked it up. Nope never had it. Not sure I've ever seen it either. I'll keep an eye out next time I go grocery shopping.

Kris - rhubarb is sour so you have to add a bit of sugar.  I choose to add strawberries instead of the sugar.  Crumble on the top adds a bit of sweetness too.

I just had dessert for breakfast so will have to work extra hard at Jazzercise today.

Kathy

Calgary, Alberta

"Friendship is like a rose...opening one petal at a time only as it unfolds...day by day does it reveal its true beauty"

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,728
Points 437,065
Nana replied on Mon, May 3 2010 9:44 AM

Patti:
I get rutabagas, parsnips and turnips mixed up.

Patti

Parsnips are long and kind of yellow.  Look like anemic carrots.  Turnips are white with purple around the top and rutabagas are big and ugly and the ones in the store have a wax coating on the skin to keep them fresh.  I love beets too.  I like most all the root crops.  Don't think I have ever eaten a kumquat but used to like persimmons.  Haven't seen any for years though.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 1 of 4 (55 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use