Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 203
Points 3,135
Peggy Posted: Thu, Apr 29 2010 11:26 AM

I know this question could start an avalanche.  But am stuck on Ideas.  The baby is due in October.  They don't know if it is a girl or boy. 

So I am looking fora fast , relatively easy baby quilt Idea.  I have done nine patches until the cows come home, need a new thought. 

Any suggestions?

from Minnesota

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Thu, Apr 29 2010 11:41 AM

Peggy

Have you considered doing a Disappearing 9 Patch where you make your nine patch block and then cut it into 4 new blocks and reassemble in different directions.  Also the rail fence is an easy pattern for a baby quilt.  Also 4 patches with an alternating large block out of a focal print is nice.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,511
Sandy H. replied on Thu, Apr 29 2010 5:52 PM

Peggy, here's a baby quilt I just completed for my friend's new grandson.  It's just a sq in a sq and is easy and quick.

Southwest Florida

• | Post Points: 89
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 335
Points 11,972

Peggy,

I've been making small quilts for a charity drive, trying different things. (Six of them since January, and that will be all for awhile.) The fastest and easiest was one I'm calling "Bricks and Sticks". I didn't have a pattern, just used five different fabrics. There are 30 six-inch blocks, so it measures 30x36 before borders. It's made from 2 1/2 inch strips. Here's a picture of mine.

The guild wanted bright colors, but this would look lovely in more traditional nursery colors. Each block has a 2 1/2 by 6 1/2 inch stick between bricks that are 2 1/2 by 3 1/2 sewn together. Every other block is rotated 90 degrees.That's six sticks of each color and 24 bricks. A half-yard of each fabric is plenty, plus the borders and binding. I planned it so that the bricks and sticks of the same fabric never touch each other, although they sometimes meet at a corner. That means each block is different and you need to arrange them on a design wall if you want that "random" look.

Here's the scheme:

This would also work with more fabrics, and then you wouldn't need a plan to make it look random!

Judy J.

Nambe, New Mexico

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,511
Sandy H. replied on Thu, Apr 29 2010 8:14 PM

Judy, very cute quilt.  This does look like a simple, quick pattern to make.  I just might use it for one of my Downey charity quilts.

Southwest Florida

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,414
Points 61,767

Judy J.--

Love your baby quilt.  Great colors!

Kissimmee, FL

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,414
Points 61,767

Sandy--

The airplane quilt you made for your grandson is so bright and cheery and the striped border is a wonderful finish.  Lucky little boy.

Kissimmee, FL

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 448
Points 5,660

Peggy--I made a quilt for my grandson (before we knew he was a boy) from a pattern from Fons & Porter's Love of Quilting--Jan/Feb 2007 issue, called Dot to Dot--it was really simple and I enjoyed doing it. I had started a quilt twice and wasn't happy with either one, until I finally found this pattern going through back issues. If you go to Show & Tell and search for Dot to Dot, I posted it sometime in early October. 

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 985
Points 17,309
Kathy D replied on Tue, May 4 2010 2:06 PM

Cute quilt CJ.  I must remember that one as I have a few baby quilts to make.

Kathy

Calgary, Alberta

"Friendship is like a rose...opening one petal at a time only as it unfolds...day by day does it reveal its true beauty"

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 203
Points 3,135
Peggy replied on Sat, Jun 5 2010 12:16 PM

Your quilt is very pretty.

I noticed that you had it hanging on your shower curtain rods.  Do you use this to show all your quilts?  I have been trying to think of a way to show mine.  Thanks for the idea.

from Minnesota

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 552
Points 11,595
Adele replied on Sat, Jun 5 2010 12:37 PM

although i dont need a baby quilt thanks for all the idea !!!! ill be adding them to the every growing list of things i want to make

Adele 

Grand Junction, CO

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use