Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 1
Points 35
Donna Plitt Posted: Tue, Apr 27 2010 9:23 PM

I am trying very hard to cut my fabric correctly, but they never come out straight, When I have to cut (3) 2/12 x 42 inch strips to sew them together, I never end with the width being 6 1/2. I need help. I want to make my quilts as beautiful as possible, but am not having good luck. Help

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,424
Points 415,964
gini replied on Tue, Apr 27 2010 10:57 PM

firstly, hello donna and welcome.    measure your strips after you cut them to make sure they are the right width.   i need to bac k up here.    

to make a  seam test strip;

1. cut three 1 1/2 inch strips 6 inches long.

2 measure and make sure your strips are 1 1/2 inches wide, to make sure you are cutting them correctly.

3.  sew these strips together side by side with "scant" 1/4 inch seams,  this means it is only one or two threads shy of 1/4 inch.    your piece should now measure 3 1/2 inches.    if it is smaller than 3 1/2 inches, your seams are too big.  if it is bigger than 3 1/2 inches  you're seams are too small.     i hope this is making sense to you.

4.  adjust  your seams just a smidge, bigger or smaller as needed, and try it again.    do this until your piece is exactly 3 1/2 inches

when you get  the seams exactly the right size,  you can mark where the edge of the fabric goes.   i take a 1/4 inch masking tape and a sharp knife, cut a 1 to 3 inch piece, through several layers of tape ( about 1/8th inch thick).     stick the tape down on your machine, so the edge of the  fabric is guided to the needle by the tape, at exactly  a  scant    1/4 inch.

any questions just ask, this is kinda hard to describe.    you might also check and see if your machine has a 1/4 inch foot.  they make it much easier. 

there has been a discussion on this a while back,   you can also go to the search box at the top of this page and type in 1/4 inch seam and see the entire discussion to get more tips        good luck   gini

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526
Sandy H. replied on Wed, Apr 28 2010 7:59 PM

Hi Donna and welcome to QCA.  There is a June Tailor product called Quarter Cut that may help you.  It looks like a large acrylic ruler (about 15" x 10") but it has very narrow openings in it to roll your rotary cutter through.  It has markings and openings every 1/4" from 0 - 12.  It's a little hard to explain, but if you go to a fabric store and look in their notions section you will probably find one. 

Here's a link to the Quarter Cut at Joann's:    Quarter Cut

Southwest Florida

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use