Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 3
Points 90
N. Jolae Norman Posted: Sat, Aug 15 2015 9:21 AM

Hi, I'm Jolae. I am a novice quilter. When I started to learn I joined an org. here in Colorado. I got into a small group, I was hoping they would help me learn, but no one was interested in it. So, I kind of gave up. Well now I'm ready to start again. Will I be disappointed here as well ? Please just tell me right from the start. I cannot afford lesson's here. I'm not much good on line either, I couldn't figure out the PDF thingy. My husband used to help with all that, but he died in January, and I'm still adrift. But ready to start again. I can use all the help I can get. I love hand sewing. I did Counted Cross Stitch for year's, but a bad medicine took that away from me mentally as well. I have a permanent tremor from it. So, no cutting for me. It will have to be pre-cut. At least to start. I just need to get my machine calibrated properly. When I bought it, it came with lessons for how to keep it running properly, and how to choose setting's. Class was cancelled and never re-scheduled. I have a video (VHS), but my VHS isn't working anymore. So, I'm between a rock and a hard place. But I am determined to learn how to do thing's properly and have lot's of practice. I have a good size stash to choose from and use for practice. I just need some help from someone willing to help. I hope I can find it here. I know the basic, log-house ? That doesn't sound right. Am I wrong ? Log cabin ? Well, it's something like that. Help please. Jolae

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 760
Points 7,390

Hi Jolae,

Welcome to QCA.  There are lots of beginner to experienced quilters on this site.  They are always willing to share knowledge.

Where in Colorado are you?  I am in Morrison, the west side of Denver.  I have been quilting for a long time (won't mention years) and would be happy to help on a more local level if you need help.  Sharing knowledge is the best way to keep our quilting going into the future.

Happy quilting and learning/1

Barbara

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 19
Points 1,055

Hi Jolae,

Glad that you are feeling up to quilting again.  There are lots of great videos you can watch on your computer.  Minnesota Star Quilt company offers a lot of free videos that are easy to follow and use pre-cuts--which I love.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,901
Points 180,503
Marie replied on Sat, Aug 15 2015 3:08 PM

Don't forget youtube as well.  Anything you want to learn there's a video for it there, anything!

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 3
Points 90

Hi Barbara, Sorry I didn't answer you sooner. I got just about no sleep last night so, when my back started hurting, Sitting at computer. I went to bed, took some medication, and still couldn't go to sleep :>( . I don't even know if I'll be able to go to sleep tonight ! Now back to subject, I live in Fort Collins. I'm sure you know where that is, right ? You are not too far from me. but alas I have no transportation. I'm just in a mess right now. Hoping and praying for someone or something to happen to change my life. In the mean time I can manage to at least get started back to quilting. I've seen some pattern's that seem easy enough to try. I just need pre-cut fabric. I have a tremor from some medicine I don't even take anymore. It gave me a little going away present. I take medicine for that now. It just goes round and round. You see, it help's, but doesn't totally get rid of it. So every now and again a finger or two will jerk without warning. I don't think I should be cutting with sharp scissor's, ya know ? But I have one advantage, I have time, all the time in the world. So, it's not all bad ! If I can just get started and learn a bit more, I can master what I do know. Like log cabin I know the basic's of that. So maybe I should just start there. I can afford to mess up some of my stash ! Then if and when I get good at that I can learn something else. Like some of those beautiful star's. So, do you still work, may I ask ? Just wondering what kind of time you have to devote to quilting. Bye the Bye, thank you for replying to my post. I live on social Security and I won't be able to upgrade my status until September 3rd. Payday of a sort. I was on disability, then they upgraded me to SS and after my husband died they took away $500.00 of income per month. They don't even give me all of his allotment because "I was too young" at the time ! I'm thinking they meant until I was 65, now they have pushed back retirement to 67. I'm wondering if that mean's I'll have to wait another 2 year's  to get the extra $100.00 per month. I'd call and ask, except if someone answer's the phone, they usually don't know the answer to your question. Who need's that aggravation ? So, I just do the best and try to remember to be grateful for what I do have. I've got two dog's. My Schipperke, and Robert's Dachshund, mine now. He really misses his man ! He's actually gained weight since Robert died. I try to walk them M-W-F and try to squeeze in at least one week end day. I find it's best to go out as early as possible. It's cool, some people could say cold, but when you're walking you're not cold. And it's so quiet, there are hardly any people out. When I get back I feed dog's. give my key his injection of insulin (newly diagnosed. Type 1 Diabetis) then I water my veg. plant's and Sunflower's I have for the first time. Next year I need to plant them a month earlier' May 1st. or there abouts. It can be hard to get up early if you can't go to sleep early. Here I've gone on and on. I apologize, I'm sure you are busy taking care of your family or sewing, or something. I will let you go. It was good hearing from some of you. Feel free to write to me anytime . I'm not busy, I wish I was. Sewing or something. I haven't watched TV once since Robert died. I got rid of the satellite. there was no reason to keep it. I used to watch TV all the time before, not anymore. Just not interested. You have a good rest of your week end. Jolae                                    

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 3
Points 90

Thank you Shannon. May I call you Shannon ? I will look into that. I'm afraid Pre-cut is the best for me, at least for now. Down the road I may be able to figure out how to cut without ruining fabric or cutting myself. EEEKK ! YouTube of course. I'll check that out. Silverfox. And thank you Shannon. I appreciate all the friendly and nice replies from you women. You give me hope that I may actually get it done. Or should I say started ? Jolae

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 310
Points 4,490

Welcome, Jolae.  I'm in Arizona, too far away to help you, but I have a suggestion that might help.  You might check with a quilt shop in your area.  They might know someone who would be happy to cut your fabric for you.  I know a shop owner here, who does that for several customers who have tremors which make using a rotary cutter risky.  There is also a glove available to protect your hand from a straying rotary cutter blade.  I believe they're available from Fons & Porter and others...  The shop may also know of quilters in your area who would be interested in being a quilting buddy...and may also have classes that might interest you.  Be patient with your self.  You've been through a great deal.  

stitcheraz

Not Ranked
Posts 19
Points 1,055

You may call me shannon.  I am glad to chat with a quilter anytime. I can't wait to see what you create.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 760
Points 7,390

Good morning, Jolae

I too am an early riser because it is cool in the mornings.  I am usually out by sunup working in my garden and flower beds.  I love working in the dirt and watching things grow.  I had a terrible time this year getting the garden and flowers planted because of all the rain we  had.  So far we are getting a good crop of tomatoes and zucchini.  The flowers have really liked the extra moisture though.  the irises this year were phenomenal.  I had some that were 8" across.  They were all gorgeous.

I am semi-retired.  I receive my social security but was just too bored to stay home all the time - I have worked my whole life and really missed it.  I have a part-time position as an accountant working 8:30 a to 2:00 p.  It has proven to be perfect because I still have contact with the business world and still have lots of time to garden and quilt.  Last year I completed a remodel of one of the bedrooms into a sewing room and spend 95% of my free time in that room.

I don't have a dog that needs walking but try to walk regularly.  I do have a wonderful cat named Brody.  He keeps me company and loves to quilt along usually by getting in the way.  He has a loft bed that is attached to the window and watches or sleeps through all the projects as they tyake shape.

There is a wonderful quilt shop called The Fig Tree there in Fort Collins.  The ladies there have always been very helpful.  You might check them out.  I don't if they offer classes but it might be worth a check.  Once you are feeling more confident with your quilt skills you might check out an Accuquilt fabric cutter.  There are all kinds of shapes and sizes of dies for the machine and now they even make an electric one.  I have one that is cranked.  I really like it.  It cuts out shapes very quickly and accurately.

Have a great day and hope you have a very pleasant night's sleep.

Barbara

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2017 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.