Page 5 of 5 (64 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 63 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,514
Points 30,780
Diana replied on Mon, May 31 2010 6:20 AM

Hi Jennie,

It sounds like a great idea to include all the fabric stories out there.  I'd like to report mine.  I took up quilting about 12 years ago.  My stash started small but grew.  I bought 2 bookshelves to put the stash in and it quickly outgrew them.  Then DH built shelving in a huge closet and had lots of room....  We moved from Upstate NY to East Tn. and we had 4 garages.  DH took one of the upstairs garages and built me a whole room just for my quilting and fabric so I no longer needed it to take over the house.  I now have 4 bookcases full, and shelving where more is falling over onto itself because the piles are too big.  And I keep buying more fabric that I fall in love with.  I told DH that as soon as I've equaled the cost of his hunting, fishing equipment and his boat, I'll stop buying fabric.   I hate to say this, but I think I'm getting close..LOL

Diana in East Tennessee

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 28
Points 1,140

Sweeet!!!

** Give Me The Simple Life **

Cathy-B-Quiltin

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 69
Points 975
mpspeedy replied on Mon, May 31 2010 8:45 AM

Hi,  I am looking forward to reading your book.  I was a reader before I was a quilter but they are almost tied for my affections.  The reading wins as it can be done anywhere, anytime. I started sewing probably by the time I was 7 or 8.  The summer between the sixth and seventh grade I made my first clothing items for myself.  As the only girl in a family of 4 children I could only depend on hand me downs from the daughters of my mother's friends as I had no sisters. I made four "wrap around skirts" and tank tops for myself.  That was before polyester knits or home sewing knits of any kind were on the home market. By the end of my junior year in high school I had made a large enough collection of clothing to have lots of scraps and left overs.  I then created my first quilt.  It broke every rule in what I now know as the quilt book.  The fabrics ranged from sear sucker to kettlecloth to denium etc. etc.  I handquilted the whole thing with double thread and didn't know to bury my knots.  The quilt wore like iron and followed me to my first apartment where I proudly displayed it on my bed. It did time as a cover for my teenaged step-son's bed and finally ended it's life several years ago as a dropcloth when my husband changes the oil in his truck.

I was a quilter long before I knew another soul who quilted.  I actually made and submitted an entry in the "Great American Quilt Contest" back when we were celebrating the 100th anniversary of the Statue of LIberty.  It was not accepted.  My dear husband took me to the show in New York and I couldn't believe my eyes.  The work I saw there boggled my mind.  In the years since I have taken a few classes, read lots of books and magazines on quilting and watched quilting shows faithfully.  I also belong to two guilds and was co-chair of our county's quilt documentation project for two years.  I have always been a handquilter.  My technique as come far enough along that I have done handquilting for others on a professional level. 

My stash could rival anyone on this board.  In the last year or two I have become involved with our local Linus Project.  What a wonderful excuse to purchase more fabric and supplies.  I try and produce at least 8 Linus quilts a month.  My biggest month I completed 48.  My friend who is the chairperson gave me half or less completed projects that had been abandoned by a high school Home Ec class.  That was an interesting challenge.  I enjoy the chance to work with children themed fabrics as my own grandchildren are all now teens and are at the age when they don't want that kind of gifts from grandmom.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 92
Points 3,630

This is a great story! Thanks for sharing.

Page 5 of 5 (64 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use