Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 16 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 212
Points 4,380
Gale Posted: Fri, Apr 2 2010 9:45 PM

I have a bunch of flannel fat quarters and I thought I might make a rag quilt with them. I'm going to do plain squares w/ batting. They have been pre-washed once. Do I need it do it again? I saw one on a blog and fell in love with it. It looks totally cozy with the texture and all.

So do I just stack the squares with the batting and  then sew together and then clip the seams? Or do I need to clip? What size squares are best? Should all the seam allowances be on the same side?

• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,819
Points 43,839
Eileen replied on Fri, Apr 2 2010 10:01 PM

Gale, I've not made one, but here's a site with photos & instructions - more sites are available, but I liked these photos:

http://www.lovetosew.com/makeragquilt.htm

This one also has photos, but instructions are spread out over several pages (lots of clutter i.e. ads, too):

http://quilting.about.com/od/quiltpatternsprojects/ss/rag_quilt.htm

Hope these help answer your questions. I'd love to see photos when you're done!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,530
Points 31,115
Diana replied on Sat, Apr 3 2010 8:13 AM

Hi Gale,

I've made a dozen of these flannel rag quilts and I love them.  Everyone in the family also has one.   I make 8 or 9 inch squares of flannel.  Make the batting 1 inch smaller to accommodate the seams.  I stack the 3 layers of each square and quilt the square.  You can be as simple as an X on the square or something more if you want to.   Then sew squares together in rows and columns until you have it the size you want.   Then sew a stitching seam to keep the edges from fraying 1 inch all the way around the outside edge.  Then you clip the seams and edges almost to the seams.  I make them about 1/4" apart.  Then wash and be sure to fluff it and shake it before putting in dryer.  Also check frequently in dryer to keep lint trap clean.  Hope this helps and have fun.

I don't know what you have to clip the seams, but I have a rag quilt clipping scissors that come from Oneida.  They are the sharpest and work wonderfully.  Like a hot knife thru butter.  I've tried others but they just don't work as nicely.

Diana in East Tn. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,713
Points 248,432
Thea replied on Sat, Apr 3 2010 9:04 AM

I made the one I made almost exactly like Dianan - I do not do a stitching seam to keep it from fraying to the sewing line... and mine has been probably washed 100 times and still has not frayed all the way.  I love this quilt and probably would have made more... they didn't have that snippets scissor when I did mine... nor did they have that cutting system where you could cutt he blocks already snipped... But they are easy...

I also did an embrodery design in the middle of about 1/4 of my blocks for the quilting design and a simple X on the others... great throw quilt for the winter time... flannel is so snuggly...

one last thing - if they were all washed once then I wouldn't wash again - but if you have some that aren't washed i would wash them... you don't want them shrinking differently.

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 205

I am going to make one at Mid Valley Quilt Guild   quilt college the end of this month.  It is really simple, but thought it would be fun to learn a new technique.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 212
Points 4,380
Gale replied on Sat, Apr 3 2010 3:05 PM

Thanks everyone-great advice! Someone on another board gave me this link too.

rag quilt tutorial

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 180
Points 3,915

Gale,

I recently made my first rag quilt. I think the special rag quilting snips or shears are important too. They really saved my hands! I have a pair made by Heritage Cutlery. Also another tip... DO NOT snip your seams while watching TV or a movie. I did this and my quilts came apart in the wash because I had accidently snipped my seams! :-/  It is difficult to piece them back together after the seams have been "ragafied".  On another note... I made my quilts more of a baby blanket so I didn't use any batting and they turned out just fine.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 205

Thanks for the heads up.  It is always great to hear the tips.  It seems I learn something each time I make a project.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,530
Points 31,115
Diana replied on Sun, Apr 4 2010 6:56 AM

Yes, Heritage Cutlery is the one I have and LOVE.  They are made in Oneida, NY.  I couldn't think of the company name at the time.  I think they are the best rag quilt snippers.  They can go thru 8 layers of flannel like hot butter.

Hope everyone has a great time making rag quilts.  I love making them for a quick gift and so warm and cozy.

Diana in East Tn. 

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 212
Points 4,380
Gale replied on Sun, Apr 4 2010 1:58 PM

So you think it's worth it to invest in the Oneida snips? I found them for around $30 shipped online. Even if I don't make any more rag quilts I'm sure my girls might want to-since it's an easy way to make a nice quilt.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 180
Points 3,915

Gale:
So you think it's worth it to invest in the Oneida snips?

I don't have any experience with any other brand of snips but I really like mine by Heritage Cutlery... made in Oneida NY. They are very sturdy and well made. Diana is right, they cut through layers like hot butter! Whether you purchase the Heritage snips or not... I would DEFINITELY recommend snips of some kind. They will save your hands for more quilting! :-)

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 212
Points 4,380
Gale replied on Tue, Apr 6 2010 12:14 AM

Ok-I'm going to check Joann's this week and if they don't have it, I will just order one online.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

Gale, did you receive the e-mail from Connecting Threads? They're having a tool sale and one of the items on sale is a pair of rag scissors by Fons and Porter for $17.49. I don't know how much they cost at Joanne's. Here's the link

Scissors

Gillette, WY

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 212
Points 4,380
Gale replied on Wed, Apr 7 2010 10:18 PM

I didn't but I'll check that out-thanks. I went to J's yesterday to see if they had the ones posted (so I could use my coupon) but didn't see them. But I never even thought to look in the F&P section for some. I'll be back in that area tomorrow-but in the meantime I'll check out Connecting threads. thanks!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Wed, Apr 7 2010 10:20 PM

Judy

I was going to mention the same site.  I got my Connecting Threads flyer today and saw that they had rag scissors on sale.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use