Top 10 Posters

Help with half circles

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 50 posted on Fri, Sep 5 2014 12:09 AM

I am trying to figure out how to sew half circles. I cut out a 10" half circle from a 12" block and I want to sew it to another 12" block of a different color. Can anyone tell me how to do this or send me a site that tells me how. I am extremely frustrated, any help would be amazing.

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 500 Contributor
227 Posts
Points 3,655
Deb replied on Fri, Sep 5 2014 8:24 AM

I found this site.. Maybe this will help.

🌺 You know you are a quilter when the only scraps under your table are fabric.🐾

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
3,309 Posts
Points 47,120
ls2116 replied on Fri, Sep 5 2014 11:16 AM

Are you going to applique and cut away the underside or is it going to pieced sewn on a curve?  These are the only methods I know of.  Hope this helps

Quilting My Rainbow

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
14,299 Posts
Points 255,517
Thea replied on Fri, Sep 5 2014 6:40 PM

I am confused as to what you are doing.  are you doing something similar to a drunkard's path block - if so - you take the convex and put it on top of the concave block - first you pin in the center - then you pin both ends - then you stretch and pin if you want but I just start sewing from an end and work my way across - smoothing it out as you go... I believe I put the rounded edge to the outside on top and the one that is cut away on the bottom - but try it both ways till you find what is easiest for you and goes smoothly - when you press you can press either direction depending on what you are doing...

are these circles anything like what you are doing... I know there are a lot here so am not sure but this is the only circle type of blocks that I know of... and I did them as I referenced above... pinning in center and edges then easing as I went - I truly can not remember which piece I put on top but it is easier one way then the other and I think it is the concave piece on top not the convex.

Top 10 Contributor
28,850 Posts
Points 421,649
gini replied on Fri, Sep 5 2014 6:56 PM

hi sclifford, welcome to the group.

we need to know.   are you:  1.  sewing your half circle to a full background square? or,  2.  have you cut a half circle out of your background square.  these are two different approaches  and we need to know which method you have chosen.   the link to tall grass prairie is a good tutorial, but doesn't show you how to make the templates.

if you have chosen method 1, it is simply a matter of appliqueing the half circle to the background.  you can do this by hand or machine and there are several techniques for both options.

if you have chosen method 2, let us know and we will try to find a better video to help you. 

once we get it narrowed down how you want to do it, it will be easier to help you.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
28,850 Posts
Points 421,649
gini replied on Fri, Sep 5 2014 6:58 PM

the quilt thea  has shown you is done with 1/4 circles and is a good way to do this too

gini in north idaho

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.