Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 4
Points 80
NanaMB Posted: Thu, Sep 4 2014 12:15 PM

Hello, I'm the new kid on the block, from sunny Cleveland,Ohio. I'm the mother of four, grandmother of three. I haven't really done much sewing since high school . In the past year or so,I've gotten back into sewing/ quilting. I'm  trying to finish a messenger bag for my daughter . The materiel is double side quilted. I'm supposed to bind the outside seams with bias tape. I'm using my new to me Juki sewing machine and a walking foot since there's so many layers. My machine is skipping stitches,so the tape has big gaps in the stitching. I'm relatively new at this. What am I doing wrong?

• | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 131
Points 2,010

I can't say for sure, but the first things I do when I get skipped stitches are to change the needle and rethread the machine from scratch...including taking the bobbin out and putting it back in.  Usually, changing the needle is sufficient.  Make sure you're using a topstitch needle...Good luck.

stitcheraz

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,115
Points 29,745
Ramona replied on Thu, Sep 4 2014 4:52 PM

NanaMB,

Hope stitcheraz was able to help you. Looks like she had great advice. Be sure to share a picture of your finished project. We all love to see.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,831
Points 39,995
ls2116 replied on Thu, Sep 4 2014 11:16 PM

Sorry , I'm not familiar with Juki machine, but maybe the tension is out of whack from shipping .  If its new i'd take it to shop where you purchased and let them help you.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,461
Points 416,734
gini replied on Fri, Sep 5 2014 7:04 PM

my needle skips when the bobbin case is full of lint.  I need to clean it out every couple of projects. this involves taking the bobbin out, taking the bobbin case out  and dusting under it.  look in the book that came with your machine

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,952
Points 368,312
Kris replied on Fri, Sep 5 2014 8:06 PM

Hello NanaMB. Welcome.

I hope your problem was solved by now. I believe you've been given good advice for trouble shooting. Remember not to use canned air to clean your machine.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 4
Points 80
NanaMB replied on Fri, Sep 5 2014 10:12 PM

Thanks to all for the helpful hints.  It seems to be working just fine now. 

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 4
Points 80
NanaMB replied on Fri, Sep 5 2014 10:14 PM

I 've  used canned air before,  is it harmful to machines? 

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 4
Points 80
NanaMB replied on Fri, Sep 5 2014 10:14 PM

I 've  used canned air before,  is it harmful to machines? 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,572
Points 51,640
Ginny replied on Sat, Sep 6 2014 7:24 AM

NanaMB,  It just drives the dust bunnies farther into your machine, requiring more frequent servicing and cleaning by a repair person.   I was told by a machine repairman to never use it, but to get an attachment for your vacuum that is also used for cleaning computers and suck that dust out of there.   Ginny

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,558
Points 246,057
Thea replied on Sat, Sep 6 2014 7:31 AM

I have used  canned air without any problems - you just have to make sure that when you use it the dust bunnies have someplace to go rather then deeper into your machine - that long pipe cleaner works for me - I use one of the bottle washer thingies too - I spray and then wipe everything down... I don't spray it towards where the motor is either - but for the most part have not had a problem with it - I only use it about twice a year though - most times I just use the thingies which the dust bunnies seem to jump to rather then the metal in my machine... 

What Juki did you get?  I just got a Juki Virtuoso for my long arm quilting.  I have always liked Juki's but this is my first one.  I have a Pfaff and a Janome for my regular sewing - also have a brother / singer and Elna - I am one of those that shares the wealth with the sewing machine market - Oh yeah!  I have a singer from 1954 too... most are in storage right now - as we are hoping to move.

It is nice to see you and can't wait for a picture of your project!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 240
Points 4,335
Christine replied on Sun, Sep 14 2014 12:56 PM

After a hiatus of about 18 months, I'm back but I have yet to rev up the sewing machine.  I don't know if my brain injury played any part of the last 18 months, but I'm glad to put it behind me!  I'm looking forward to the next few months!  

We have a dog and a cat and I'm afraid we skipped the heavy vacuuming a few weeks in a row and the fleas are making their presence known.  LOL!  Needless to say, the whole house is getting hit with massive cleaning today and tomorrow whether it wants to or not!  Both kids are being forced to give up the Xbox and the TV until it's all done.  Here are the culprits:

After the inside is done, I move outside and work on the gardens, since it's Sept and you do those kind of things this month or the neighbors start whispering, wondering what going on at home!  

Welcome NanaMB!  I'm glad you're here!

Christine

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use