Step 1-Buying the Fabric!

Page 2 of 24 (349 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 348 Replies | 57 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 220
Points 3,825

You ladies are asking awesome questions!!! Everyone one I thought of was already answered. I hope you all share your fabric choices....I'm curious to see what you pick. That's the hardest part for me when doing a mystery quilt....

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 210
Points 4,380
Debi replied on Mon, Sep 1 2014 4:27 PM

I have two choices.... maybe both????  :-D

• | Post Points: 95
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25

I am loving the second choice with browns, call me crazy but I would have chosen them myself! Still have some shopping to do but I have to wait till this evening!

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25

I am loving the second choice with browns, call me crazy but I would have chosen them myself! Still have some shopping to do but I have to wait till this evening!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 210
Points 4,380
Debi replied on Mon, Sep 1 2014 5:10 PM

The browns were my first choice as well, but I have 10 grandchildren, four of them girls...

Oh well, go with my gut, right??  I can always do another one later for the kiddos!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 611
Points 10,695

I like the 2nd as well, but if I was doing in for a young girl or adult. the first would be nice. How big are those butterflies? I was looking at a print earlier but it measured out at 2.5 inches and was afraid it was to big,. not knowing for sure where this was going. so I passed even though I thought the color was perfect. I need to get a pic of what I got. I hope I am happy in the end (rushing to get in on the labor day sale, and DH was with me.)

Tami of Walla Walla, Washington

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 210
Points 4,380
Debi replied on Mon, Sep 1 2014 7:13 PM

The butterflies average about 1.5 inches.  Some are larger, but none over 2 inches.  I have a similar print, same color, that has smaller butterflies and lightening bugs on it.  That one might be better, although we were told small to medium small.  Don't know what that means.  I know this is definitely not a "large" print.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 611
Points 10,695

oh okay. the one I was looking at was somewhat directional too. maybe that was why I shied away. just to many what ifs lol

Tami of Walla Walla, Washington

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 50
Cyndi replied on Mon, Sep 1 2014 7:51 PM

I would appreciate any comments on this fabric.  I had this in my stash and this is the first time I have done a mystery quilt.

Thanks,

Cyndi

• | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,246
Points 19,420

Debi I really like both your choices.

Cyndi Your fabric is very pretty too.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 60

One thing to consider before you start cutting.  I've done mystery quilts (and absolutely love them), but one of the mistakes that I've seen is choosing fabrics that are too close together in value.  I really like your brown choices, but before you make them your final choice, place them across the room in such a way that you only see a small amount of each and take a photo to see how they play together.  An example would be to unfold the brown with the black flowers and refold into a long, narrow chunk.  Take the floral, in a wider chunk, and prop it up against something.  Now take that long chunk of brown and place each end over the floral so that what you see is about 3"-5" of the floral peeking out between two sides of the brown.  Take a photo of this and then, tomorrow, look at the photo.  I know this sounds like a lot to do, but you're setting it up as if you're seeing it for the first time with no pre-existing image of the floral already in your memory.  If, in the photo, you can still see two distinctly different fabrics, you have a great pair.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 60

Debi, I'd also use a cream instead of white if you choose the browns.  The white is too different and dominates, but not in a good way.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,048
Points 369,207
Kris replied on Mon, Sep 1 2014 8:26 PM

Debi I agree with Mary. The fabrics in your purple group play better together than the brown group. I think a cream would be nice with your browns. On my computer the two browns appear to be of similar value. The floral doesn't work for me (of course I should say I don't usually like florals anyway).

Bear in mind that the fabric with the most yardage is the colour you'll use the most.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,048
Points 369,207
Kris replied on Mon, Sep 1 2014 8:31 PM

With a second look I think the white could work as the accent in the brown group. 

At the end of the day Debi the final choice is yours. If you like it go for it.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 5
Points 85
Shelley replied on Mon, Sep 1 2014 8:48 PM

this is going to be fun!   glad I have a week to decide on fabric.   I'm sure I will change my mind a 100 times, haha.   I do scrap quilts, and I see that's not recommended.   I will keep the scraps similar in value, so I know i will be happy in the end.   Made a goal to not buy any new fabric this summer.   It will be fun to see everyone's progress!

Page 2 of 24 (349 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use