Joining bulky seams

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 21 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
13 Posts
Points 215
Kathi posted on Fri, Aug 29 2014 6:35 PM

Hello quilter friends! I am working on a quilt (designed by Kim Diehl), and the pattern has great pressing instructions.  However, when joining my sashings with my block rows I'm finding there are many seams to be joined where they have been ironed in the same direction, and so can't be 'nested'.  This leaves me with SIX layers of 1/4' seams on one side of the join, and TWO on the other.  Does anyone have any advice for me?  I can disassemble the sashing rows and iron the seams apart instead of in one direction if I need to; that would be time consuming; and would leave me with THREE layers on one side and FIVE on the other. Are there any methods out there I don't know about?  Thank you, anybody, for any suggestions!!

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Not Ranked
Female
13 Posts
Points 215
Kathi replied on Sun, Aug 31 2014 9:42 AM

Thea, hope this picture is helpful?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
14,126 Posts
Points 252,502
Thea replied on Sun, Aug 31 2014 12:58 PM

Okay - yes that helps a lot - see the - lets see I'll start towards the right side - the blue square and the red square below it - see where the stitching goes to the right between the two pieces - you can pick out those two to three stitches... then smash this with your thumb - this will fold out into a little four patch looking block in the center there... that reduces bulk in a four patch...

There is not much that you can do when the seams are pressed in the same direction...except to a clip of the seam over by the stitching line between the squares... then you press it back in the other direction... be very careful though as you do not want to clip through the seam...

the only other thing that I can think to do is to open up each seam and restitch going the other direction - a lot of work... the bulk for what you are doing isn't really a lot and a long arm or a domestic would be able to go over that without a problem...

Wow, did she give you those pressing instructions in the pattern?  

the only thing you can really do to reduce bulk in the seam areas is to clip the seam and press back - because the one at the bottom is the right direction just those ones  at the top will not nest...

Make a notation on your pattern for the next time that the seams need to be pressed in two different directions.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
13 Posts
Points 215
Kathi replied on Sun, Aug 31 2014 4:36 PM

Oh thank you Thea.  Yes those were the pressing instructions and I was very careful to follow them closely!  I appreciate all the time you took to help me understand.  And yes, I will make a note on my pattern.  All my best! Kathi

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,136 Posts
Points 36,940
Roxana replied on Sun, Oct 5 2014 11:23 AM

Marie:

Roxana, I'd love to see a picture, can't imagine it myself.  So really, what else is new?  ;  )

Marie, I'm sorry I am so delayed in posting a picture. When seams don't nest, I just turn over one of the ends of a seam and make it nest. It's a technique I learned in a Pat Speth (Nickel Quilts) class. I hope this picture helps.

Neither has been pressed yet but I needed the points to match so I had to make them nest. I just turned over the part where I needed the nest at the end as you can see in the bottom sample of the picture.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,346 Posts
Points 27,415

Kathi, I do the same thing as Roxanna, and press really well, it has always worked for me

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,864 Posts
Points 181,703
Marie replied on Mon, Oct 6 2014 7:51 AM

Thanks Roxana, I needed a visual to understand.  I've also done this in the past but don't tell anyone.  :  )

Millbury, MA

Not Ranked
Female
13 Posts
Points 215
Kathi replied on Mon, Oct 6 2014 7:54 AM

Thank you all ladies! :-)

Page 2 of 2 (22 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use