Top 10 Posters

Need help with pattern for a some-what memory quilt

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 8 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
619 Posts
Points 10,695
zoetc49 posted on Tue, Aug 26 2014 7:17 PM

I have a relative that had a stroke. Her daughter has taken pictures of her mom's hands holding others. I will have about 14 pictures in all. The relative loves gardening so I bought gardening patterns fabric. Now what I was going to do and still may do is do rag quilt out of sewing denim and put hearts cut out of red bandanna in the blocks , not every block, just some, then use a red fraying fabric between the layers... this would be the rag quilt side, then I was going to the garden and hand fabric on the inside.

What do you all think about this, do you have any other thoughts.  I was not really thinking this would be a memory quilt, but it might be just that.  Would you do a regular type quilt, or another pattern.    

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Top 500 Contributor
Female
281 Posts
Points 4,280

zoe,

the type of quilt would depend on the number of blocks you can put together.

I wish your relative a speedy recovery.

I had a stroke years ago and with tons of therapy I returned to almost normal.  ( I did some crazy things before the stroke)  But the remaining brain cells can take over for the lost once with daily therapy.  Good luck for your relative.

Marianne

Top 150 Contributor
619 Posts
Points 10,695

Marianne, 

Thank you for your response, I really appreciate your information about your stroke- I am VERY glad that you doing much better. 

I was a bit disappointed in not hearing from more on here as i really do want some suggestions. Maybe another website will be more friendly with suggestions? 

Again, I am glad your doing well. Thank you  : )

Top 100 Contributor
Female
711 Posts
Points 13,855

if you do a search for "memory" on this site's home page you'll get lots of results for memory quilts. maybe one of those will give you an idea.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
242 Posts
Points 3,485

I think a memory quilt seems appropriate in this situation.  I saw these two quilts on Pinterest....a layout similar to one of these I think would be nice.  Maybe some of the smaller blocks could be photos of your relative by herself,  some with her and the the people whose hands are in the other photos, and separated with a fabric in colors she likes???    Just a thought!!  You might also look on Pinterest for some other ideas.  Good luck and look forward to seeing a picture of your quilt!  :)

Memory quilt - 100th birthdayBest looking T-shirt quilt I've seen. I like the black borders around everything.

Barbara

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,673 Posts
Points 120,445

MargeP posted a picture of an incredible memory quilt she made. I looked in her gallery but nothing there. If she's lurking around perhaps she'll post the picture again.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
619 Posts
Points 10,695

Barbara, thank you for that suggestion. ( others too) I guess I need to think about this more. I think I just want to do the hands on one side as it the beauty of the memory of how my relative can communicate the best- it's a hand hug, you know. So I might just stick to my original thought and do a rag quilt on the outside while doing the hand "hug" pictures on the inside of the quilt, as to me it's " touching". I have just been frustrated wondering if this was the right direction on how I should do this. It does seem to me to be what I am feeling, so it must be right.

I do love the red memory quilt, very nicely done.  

Top 500 Contributor
Female
242 Posts
Points 3,485

If you do what feels right to you, the quilt will be wonderful!!   :)

Barbara

Top 150 Contributor
619 Posts
Points 10,695
zoetc49 replied on Thu, Aug 28 2014 12:04 PM

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use