long arm thread?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 14 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
434 Posts
Points 8,715
tnmtgrl posted on Mon, Aug 25 2014 11:06 AM

I need some help with thread. ...I am currently using Isacord as recommended by Leah Day on her blog but I am just not satisfied ... I can quilt half of a 12" block then the thread starts to fray and break..I'm not sure if it's the thread or machine....it looks like it is happening somewhere between the little hook next to the needle and the loop above that...it would be the last 2 thread positions before going into the needle...maybe a burr of some kind? 

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

• | Post Points: 65

All Replies

Top 500 Contributor
Female
281 Posts
Points 4,280

tngirl,

We're using Mettler silk finished cotton  thread and it hardly brakes.   Spell check on Mettler?   This is a piano board cover quilted with Mettler cotton.   You could try some and if your thread still brakes often it could be your machine or the needle?  I hope that helps?    Marianne

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,270 Posts
Points 35,195
Granny M replied on Mon, Aug 25 2014 11:32 AM

I have this problem every once in a while.   Had it a lot when I first started long arming.  Here are the things I found that could happen.

1.  using a needle to small for the thread I was using.   I use a 14 with 70 wgt,  16 with 50 wgt  and 18 with 40 wgt

2.  Needle is turned just a tiny bit,  I marked my hopping foot soon as a found where the needle worked best.

3.  Thread needed to be hydrated,  Thread gets dry and I found that if I put in the refrig, freezer overnight then let it warm to room temp before using that it fixes the problem. 

I use Signature and Threadart for my 40 wgt thread and Connecting thread essential and essential pro for my 50 and70 wgt thread.

Hope that helps.

Granny M

Top 100 Contributor
Female
710 Posts
Points 13,835

Depending on how much I want the thread to show on the quilt, I use either So Fine or King Tut. A lot depends on the colors in the quilt, too. Sometimes I just want the King Tut variegated. Anyway, I would think that it could be the thread you're using. Anything by Superior Threads is great for longarm. They have so much info on their web site about threads.  http://www.superiorthreads.com/reference-guides/

It could very well be a burr or maybe even just the thread tension or the tension of the fabric. Sometimes it just takes slowing down the speed at which you're stitching.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,810 Posts
Points 43,674
Eileen replied on Mon, Aug 25 2014 1:45 PM

I tried Isacord in the bobbin once (the oolor matched the backing fabric perfectly) until I learned that rayon thread should not be used in the bobbin of my Baby Lock Crown Jewel (dealer told me). I've never tried it as a top thread.  My machine likes King Tut & Aurifil best but I can also use polyester threads on it.  Carol already gave you the link to Superior Threads chart - they do have a lot of great info on threads, needles, etc.

If you haven't already, check with your dealer or other people you know with your type of machine & see what advice they can offer.

Good luck :-)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,824 Posts
Points 366,012
Kris replied on Mon, Aug 25 2014 6:11 PM

Jen I think you should try a bigger needle. I've never used Isacord but I've heard great things about it. I use Superior threads and Connecting Threads' Essential Pro. I've also used Presencia and Aurifil with good results.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
434 Posts
Points 8,715

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions, I have copied them all down so I can try each one...I am going to order one of each thread suggested...I do have one other question though.....a few of the answers suggested I try a different needle, my machine ( Janome 1600 P-QC) takes an HLx5 it's a 90/14....I use the Schmetz brand..the manufacturer says to only use this size......does anyone have this machine or something similar and what type needle do you use?

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

• | Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Female
710 Posts
Points 13,835

I use Groz-Beckert brand needles in my longarm. That's what came with it. The Superior Threads site gives a recommended needle size for each of their threads. I don't know why you would have to use only 90/14s. The thread determines the needle size.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,824 Posts
Points 366,012
Kris replied on Tue, Aug 26 2014 6:21 PM

tnmtgrl:
my machine ( Janome 1600 P-QC) takes an HLx5 it's a 90/14....I use the Schmetz brand..the manufacturer says to only use this size......does anyone have this machine or something similar and what type needle do you use?

That's odd. I have a Babylock QCP. I've used Schmetz and Organ needles with no problems. I've only used Schmetz in my Pfaff but I've used various sizes. As Carol said it the thread that determines the needle size. Not sure what brand needles the longarm uses. The dealer gave me a lot of them so haven't had to buy any yet.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
281 Posts
Points 4,280

Chris, we use a Bailey's home quitter and the Mettler thread works great.  I'm thinking about using my Janome as a quilting machine on a small quilt  frame one day .  I'm into learning how to sew on a treadle machine.  One thing at a time for me.  We're out of thread and the tension on the frame has been released.  But you can see the 3 small flours quilted  up to the big flower and lots of them on  the back roll.  It's a twin size quilt for out youngest grand daughter.  She's 5 years old.

Marianne

Top 500 Contributor
Female
281 Posts
Points 4,280

We got the color matched darn close and it's hard to see the small fours.  They are a tiny version of the large flowers.  We have to drive to Tallahassee to purchase more thread.  Maybe tomorrow?

Marianne

Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,542 Posts
Points 51,250
Ginny replied on Wed, Aug 27 2014 9:05 AM

Marianne, the quilt you are working on for your granddaughter looks darling.      Ginny

Top 500 Contributor
Female
281 Posts
Points 4,280

Thank you very much Ginny.  I hope that I can show you the finished quilt soon.  The matching pillow sham is already quilted.  And we truly use Mettler silk finish cotton,  but we will give the other threads a try.

Marianne

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,445 Posts
Points 243,677
Thea replied on Wed, Aug 27 2014 5:55 PM

I use Bohin needles from France in both my Janome and Pfaff machines - my long arm isn't here yet but will see what it comes with and if they recommend anything specific.  I like aurifil thread so will be trying it out first and see how it goes.  

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,270 Posts
Points 35,195
Granny M replied on Sun, Aug 31 2014 12:44 PM

I have a crown jewel, so don't know about your machine.  The jewel is made by Handiquilter, (shhh, not suppose to tell) They recommend the Gros Becket needles and carry all the sizes.  I never heard of a machine that only used one size of needle.  But hey, I sure don't know everything.  Good luck

Granny M

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use