Top 10 Posters

Beginer: Quilting Machines

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 35
MIcheleNicole posted on Fri, Aug 22 2014 10:01 PM

Hello! I'm Michele and I'm new here I've made one quilt and want to quilt more. I only have a sewing machine. I would like to know about quilting machines to sew the back on and do designs. Can anyone help with advise on them? I know nothing, like size, price, where to buy, brands and such! Thank you! :)

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 200 Contributor
Female
365 Posts
Points 5,460

Welcome and nice meeting you Michele.  Quilting machines come in all price ranges.  The ones guided by hand or laser are most reasonable.  The machines that are computerized are more costly.

There are Youtube tutorials you can watch and see.  Here is one for the Bailey Home quilter.  If you look around you can see a demo on how to quilt with a Janome.  We own a Bailey Home quilter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aew64gg39yE

Have fun watching and searching.  Marianne

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
26,128 Posts
Points 386,872
Kris replied on Sun, Aug 24 2014 9:56 PM

Welcome Michele. If you get a chance try going to a sewing/quilting expo. MQX goes to different states throughout the year. These expos feature many different vendors where you can try out the various machines. I recently purchased an Innova long arm after about 6 years of searching.

If there are any dealers near you pay them a visit as well. This is a huge investment. Take your time getting familiar with these machines before you buy.

Do a google search for long arms and visit their sites. You'll get an overview of what they do, available sizes, prices etc.

QNNtv has a longarm quilting show that is very informative (you need to pay for membership).

Happy hunting. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,273 Posts
Points 35,215
Granny M replied on Mon, Aug 25 2014 11:44 AM

Hello Michele, welcome to the world of craziness and people buried in fabric.    If you have a sewing machine, you have the means to do some quilting on it.  try the free motion group, here as well as all the advice that Kris gave you.  When you work with it on you sewing machine for awhile, then you will know if you want to get into the long arm quilting.   I still do baby quilts on my Quattro although I do have a long arm.  The Long arm is a big investment and don't count on being able to quilt for others, that takes awhile and has a learning curve.   Also if you are a member here a QCA then you are a member of QNNTV.  Some of the long arm shows on there can be overwhelming but will sure give you an idea of what you can to with practice.   You Tube has a lot of basics, be sure to watch some

KRIS:  I see you finally made the leap to Long Arm.  Good for you

Granny M

Top 10 Contributor
Female
26,128 Posts
Points 386,872
Kris replied on Mon, Aug 25 2014 5:52 PM

Thanks Granny M. I'm enjoying it so far. I, too, will continue to do small projects on the home machine. I totally overlooked that when replying to Michele.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,205 Posts
Points 38,235
Roxana replied on Mon, Aug 25 2014 10:40 PM

Michele, welcome. I quilt on my domestic sewing machine so it is doable and I am learning as I go. You've gotten wonderful advice here.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.