Question about cut and press quilting boards

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 75
kdruesedow Posted: Wed, Aug 20 2014 8:15 PM

Hi, I am Kathy from Texas.  I am in limbo right now because we sold our house before we found a new one.  All of my stuff is in storage, including my quilting supplies.  They seem to be at the back of all our stuff since I can't find the boxes.

I am considering buying a cut and press board to hold me over until we get our stuff out of storage which could be any where from a month to a year.  Has anyone here used one? Do you recommend the cut and press board?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,681
Points 179,378
Marie replied on Thu, Aug 21 2014 7:08 AM

Hi Kathy, if this is what you mean, I highly recommend it.  I took it to Florida for 3 months a couple of years ago and it was perfect.  Once I adjusted to it's size compared to having all that room at home (ironing board and large mat) it worked out fine.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 310
Points 4,690

Hi Kathy,

My DH and I bought a iron cutting board at Joanne's.  I have a regular ironing board and we purchases a larger cutting mat as we progressed with our patchwork and quilting.  I hope that you'll find a nice home soon.

Marianne

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 310
Points 4,690

Kathy,

I also made an iron pad after watching a tutorial from the Missouri Star Quilt co.  That pad is what we use most often to iron and I moved it into another room so that we have to get up and walk some.  Here is a picture of my ironing board with some fourth of July Mug rugs I was ironing.

Marianne

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 75

Thank you.  That was not the one I was looking at, but I like it better.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,027
Points 369,907
Kris replied on Tue, Aug 26 2014 6:27 PM

kdruesedow:
Do you recommend the cut and press board?

They work fine but the fabric discolours easily. Using steam seems to cause the glue on the cutting side to come loose. I mostly use mine when I'm doing hand work sitting in a chair away tom my sewing room. I'd give it a mild recommendation.

I have the one pictured in Marie's post and I like it better. The cutting mat is smoother, the ironing surface stays cleaner and I like not having to flip it over to use the different sides. It does take up more space though.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 401
Points 5,940

I also have the one in Marie's post and it works out great for me.  It's a good size for travel or even at classes where you know it will be crowded and limited space.

Barbara

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 75

What is the one in Marie's post called?  What company does it come from?  I looked for it at the craft stores we have here and they don't carry it.  I would like to order it.

I thank everyone for you help and information.

Kathy

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 401
Points 5,940

It's made by Omnigrid and I bought it at Joann's.    http://www.joann.com/search?q=omnigrid%20cut%20and%20press

Barbara

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 401
Points 5,940

Barbara from California:

It's made by Omnigrid and I bought it at Joann's.    http://www.joann.com/search?q=omnigrid%20cut%20and%20press

Oh!  Don't forget to use a coupon!!   :)

Barbara

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use