Quilt Hoop help needed

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 14 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,842 Posts
Points 123,720
Judy T-Bellingham posted on Mon, Aug 18 2014 6:00 PM

I'm starting to think about handing quilting. I see floor hoops for anywhere from $50 and up. Grace hoops seem to be in the $200+ range.

While I'm not sure yet if hand quilting will be my thing, I've signed up for a class on Craftsy. I'll try a small project. If I like it, I'd want a floor hoop.

Have any of you had experience with the less expensive floor hoops? Are they OK? Is it necessary to spend over $200?

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 150 Contributor
Female
703 Posts
Points 11,570
Bev replied on Mon, Aug 18 2014 9:03 PM

Judy,  when I wanted to learn how to hand quilt I bought a large oval hoop and a couple of round hoops of different sizes from Joann's using coupons and decided to teach myself. I wish I had taken a class but just had a demo during quilt guild. My first quilt was done with straight line stitching around my quilt blocks. For my second quilt I practiced using stencils of different types of butterflies,dragonflies,flowers and vine with leaves. My stitches have been getting better with practice which is good because I want to hand quilt my log cabin quilt when I finish it.

Having a  floor hoop might work better but at the time I wasn't sure I would stick with it but I love my hand quilted quilts since I am not ready to try machine quilting and I try to limit the number I send out to be quilted.  

None of this answers your question but I am interested in the answers from those who do use a floor hoop. Will be looking forward to hearing/reading if you like hand quilting

from TN

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,842 Posts
Points 123,720

Beg. Thank you. I appreciate your input about using inexpensive hoops first. 

I signed up for the Craftsy hand quilting class. But the video is jerky and impossible to watch. I don't have trouble with videos on other sites. 

I've been doing embroidery quilt projects lately and find I really enjoy the hand work while watching TV in the evening. That's what is moving me to try hand quilting. 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,468 Posts
Points 41,125
Mimi replied on Mon, Aug 18 2014 9:42 PM

Judy, when I took a hand quilting class at my LQS, the instructor asked us to purchase a 14" round wooden quilting hoop.  She said she did all her quilts on this kind of hoop. And she is an excellent hand quilter. Other hoops I've seen sit on the table and support the quilt so it's not all on you.  And some people don't use a hoop at all.  I guess it's just personal preference.  I do agree that the more you practice the better you'll get. Good luck with your decisions and I'll be looking forward to seeing your progress.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,842 Posts
Points 123,720

Sorry Bev. Didn't mean to call you beg. IPad does it to me every time. 

Mimi, I was really hoping to be able to watch the Craftsy video. It has great reviews.  It includes directions for hand quilting without a hoop. 

Perhaps I'll take your and Bevs suggestions and pick up a hoop with a Joann's coupon. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,981 Posts
Points 368,897
Kris replied on Mon, Aug 18 2014 11:13 PM

Judy I have an Edmunds Oval hoop and a 14" round hoop. I used the oval hoop more because of the floor stand. I also have a Grace hand quilting frame that I love. I've heard good things about the PVC frames (Q-snap I believe) but have never used one.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,511 Posts
Points 417,549
gini replied on Mon, Aug 18 2014 11:57 PM

I like the q snap hoops, quick easy inexpensive and I see they now have a floor frame for under $100

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,511 Posts
Points 417,549
gini replied on Mon, Aug 18 2014 11:58 PM

do you need it right away?.  I can bring a couple of my hoops to retreat for you to try out

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,842 Posts
Points 123,720

gini:

do you need it right away?.  I can bring a couple of my hoops to retreat for you to try out

Gini. That would be great. Thank you. 

Top 200 Contributor
Female
347 Posts
Points 4,695

Judy,

I use a 22" round hoop on a floor stand by Heritage.  I don't remember how much to cost me but it was purchased in 1992 so it would be a moot point.  I chose 22" because I can reach 11" from center of hoop to the outside edge.  The hoop swivels so I can turn it as I work on the area hooped.  It is wonderful for larger quilts because the hoop holds up the weight of the quilt.  Often times I don't put the quilt into the hoop but just use it to hold up the weight.  The quilt seldom shifts but is easily shifted if needed.  For smaller projects I use a 18" hoop, again because it is easy to reach from center to edge and allows quilting of a block plus a couple of the sashing strips.  I have a half-circle hoop that works wonderfully on borders.  One of the things I have learned about the smaller loops is to buy quality.  The cheaper, flimsy hoops bugle and warp when in your lap trying to quilt.  Sturdy edges eliminate this.

Barbara

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
505 Posts
Points 10,210

Judy I have two frames I use for hand quilting....depending on the size of the projects

here's my first frame I ever bought about 11 yrs. ago at my LQS ( Holloways in Cosby,TN)...the cloth bar is for doing the borders, it is removable.

it is also height adjustable and tilts also...

then I have my big Grace frame that is awesome for large quilts....

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,842 Posts
Points 123,720

Jen thanks for the photos. I suspect if I find I like hand quilting and want a floor hoop, I'll be searching for a used one. When using your large Grace frame, you have to stand while quilting, right?

My concern, even with a floor hoop, is that I'll have to bend or lean forward to use it.

I'm looking forward to the Oregon retreat even more now. I'll be picking Gini's brain and anyone else who hand quilts.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
505 Posts
Points 10,210

Also Judy...there is a very good book...it's called The Perfect Stitch by Dierdra McElroy...very very good book for beginning hand quilting

newport, tennessee

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,842 Posts
Points 123,720

Thanks ladies. Someone brought a hoop to one of the retreats for Nana to try out. Gini, was that you?

I finally got the Craftsy hand quilting video to work. I had hit the HD button and my internet speed wouldn't handle that. Once I de-selected it I could watch the video.

Very good class for a raw beginner like me.

OMG, it's 8:00 and I have a client meeting at 9. Haven't showered, haven't eaten, haven't said good morning to hubby. I got up much earlier than he did. I think George poked his head in my room a bit ago, but probably saw me concentrating on watching the video and quietly left. He's so well trained. LOL

Top 150 Contributor
Female
505 Posts
Points 10,210

Judy Taylor-Bellingham:
When using your large Grace frame, you have to stand while quilting, right?

No Judy I sit down... in the picture I posted it is raised to the highest height...that was the day I got it all put together for the first time, I had not figured out how the adjustments worked yet. ......I sit in an office chair to use it, with the wheels on the chair I can go up and down the length of the frame as needed...it is great for large quilts.

Obviously this is not me but this is what it is like...it tilts or you can use it flat.... it goes lower than what this picture shows too because my knees are usually right under the rail

newport, tennessee

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use