Life changes

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 25 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 40
Points 675
Beastsgirl Posted: Mon, Aug 18 2014 4:32 PM

So I have embarked on a new path to improve my fitness and health. I have changed the way I eat and managed to lose 28lbs in three months. Mostly just by eating healthily and cutting out junk. I have not exercised in a very long time (although I do have a job where I am on my feet all day this cannot really be considered exercising)  so today I joined the local gym and hit the pool. I am aching so bad right now but I feel amazing and Friday I have an appointment in the gym with a personal trainer. I am more than a little nervous about this but seriously after five extensive knee surgeries and two broken wrists I am tired of making excuses and I am going to give it a go. I am determined to get fitter and that these changes in my life will be permanent.

No more excuses for me about my health and weight. I'm on the right track and I intend to stay there :-) 

Hayley xx

• | Post Points: 80
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,836
Points 32,010
Roxana replied on Mon, Aug 18 2014 4:49 PM

Way to go, Hayley! You are an inspiration to me!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 711
Points 13,885

Hayley! That is wonderful! Congratulations on your weight loss and your efforts toward good health and fitness.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 40
Points 675

Thank you Roxanne.

it has been easier than I thought once I made my mind up

Hayley xx

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 40
Points 675

Sorry that's meant to say Roxana!! Stupid phone :-( 

Not Ranked
Posts 40
Points 675

Thanks Carol, I appreciate your kind words 

Hayley xx

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 244
Points 3,510

Congratulations Hayley!!!  That is quite an accomplishment...28 lbs in 3 months....wow!   Please share more about the changes you've made in your diet.  God knows I could easily stand to lose 30 lbs so I'd really appreciate all the tips you can give!

Barbara

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 782
Points 12,635

WTG Hayley. Wish I was physically & mentally able to do some kind of exercise. Unfortunately between my Lupus & Depression quilting & maybe a 10 minute walk a couple times a week are all I'm able to handle. . Needless to say I have gained almost 50 lbs since my last flare up. My therapist keeps telling me I need to love myself how I am. It ain't happening though. I don't like what I see in the mirror. At least quilting gives me some joy. 

• | Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 621
Points 10,720
zoetc49 replied on Mon, Aug 18 2014 11:57 PM

Hayley,

I am so happy for you !! 

Take it slow if you need to, slow and steady wins....

I am going to try and follow your lead. Plan to hit the gym Tue & Thur and get back to weight training.

Your motivating me- Thanks !!     

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 219
Points 10,625
qcarachel replied on Tue, Aug 19 2014 8:58 AM

Way to go Hayley! I am a HUGE exercise person (it keeps me sane and healthy). So I love hearing about people's success with getting healthy and active! Keep us informed on your progress :)

QCA Rachel

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,559
Points 23,645
Susie replied on Tue, Aug 19 2014 10:10 AM

Awesome Hayley!  Good for you!  My only advice is to take it as slow as you need to.  The PTs at the gym aren't always willing to go slow enough, but stick to your guns and don't let them push you past your limits!  You are off to a great start!  We are here to support you as often as you need us!

Mamag--the best advice I was given by someone that had about 150# to lose is take really small steps.  She could make it from her bed to the bathroom to the kitchen before she had to rest.  Each day she would try to move one more cabinet without resting.  Some days she only made it a step.  Other days she made it a full cabinet length.  Eventually, with time and determination, she was able to walk the length of her house without a rest.  It did take her about 3 months to get there, though.  So just take is slow and try for one more step each day.  You can do it, I have faith in you!!!

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,451
Points 176,373
Marie replied on Tue, Aug 19 2014 12:46 PM

Haley, congrats on your weight loss, good job!  Your an inspiration to us all!

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,451
Points 176,373
Marie replied on Tue, Aug 19 2014 12:51 PM

Perk up, better days are coming, is what my mom used to say to me when I was down.  It helped so I'm saying that to you now, Donna, "Perk up, better days are coming".  (((((HUGS)))))

Millbury, MA

Not Ranked
Posts 40
Points 675

Barbara from California:

Congratulations Hayley!!!  That is quite an accomplishment...28 lbs in 3 months....wow!   Please share more about the changes you've made in your diet.  God knows I could easily stand to lose 30 lbs so I'd really appreciate all the tips you can give!

Hey Barbara,

Thank you for your kind words. Basically the changes I've made are simple. Firstly I went out a got myself a smaller plate. Portion control was something I struggled with so with a smaller plate it's easier. Then I cut all junk from my diet, so basically eating clean, no pre packed meals. I make things from scratch there no hidden stuff then I make my own muesli for breakfast and eat it with Greek yoghurt and then I have an apple at break time at work and then chicken, tuna, or cheese salad for lunch with a different low fat dressing everyday sometimes I have grapes and sometimes I have wholemeal pita with it just to change things up. For dinner I have fish or chicken usually with a small portion of rice, pasta or potatoes and then veg or salad. Once or twice a week I have a dish made with ground beef, such as bolognese or shepherds pie,  so I don't get bored. I have also stopped drinking fizzy drinks (I think you guys call it soda) I have fizzy water with juice or just water instead. I also try to drink 2 litres of water a day. I'm not very good at that though!! The biggest thing for me is that I have stopped eating crisps (I think you call them chips) they were a real weakness for me but I have not had any since I started eating clean. The thing is I honestly don't want to eat rubbish anymore. One day I just decided I wanted to make changes so I did. I don't feel deprived or hard done by or hungry. I feel elated that I am sticking to this and that I can now wear clothes two sizes smaller. Even when our family eats out I don't feel tempted to order fries and burgers I usually chose a salad of some description. It makes be feel powerful that I have control of this. I have had a lot of people over the years tell me to diet etc. it did absolutely no good at all it is something you have to come to yourself and honestly once you do it is easy to stick to it.

As for the gym that was harder, getting into a swimsuit to use the pool was something I was self conscious about but I've done it now and it was OK. No one fainted or had a fit of the vapours from the sight of me. I'm nervous about my gym session on Friday too because I have had five extensive knee surgeries and wrist surgery.  I don't want to mess them up, but really if that was my reason not to go it would just be an excuse, and I don't make them anymore. Don't get me wrong I'm not going to hurt myself but there must be something I can do to improve my fitness without damaging myself. So we shall see how it goes. I am just going to give it a go. 

So there you have it :-) 

Hayley xx

Not Ranked
Posts 40
Points 675

Hey Donna,

Thank you so much for your kind words. I'm sorry you are having such a rough time Lupus can be very debilitating. Maybe you could set yourself tiny challenges. When I started this I just changed my diet, i didn't exercise at all to start with. Maybe eating clean would help you feel like you were doing something. I have some great smoothie recipes if you would like me to send them to you. They taste great and are full of natural stuff to help improve your immune system and who knows it might make a small difference.

I hope today is a good day for you 

Love Hayley xx

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use