I need help to understand about treadle machines

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 20 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
281 Posts
Points 4,280
Marianne Nowicki posted on Tue, Aug 12 2014 5:16 AM

I purchased a treadle base, a top and a Singer Red Eye 66 machine build in 1919.  The machine sews perfect stitches when I turn the hand wheel, But when I try the treadle and I don't go high speed, it goes backwards and the thread breaks.    Is this normal or is the treadle mechanism out of alignment? Can someone please advise me?  I also purchased the belt separately.  My DH cleaned the top and put it all together. Marianne

• | Post Points: 80

All Replies

Top 500 Contributor
219 Posts
Points 10,580

Hey Marianne!

Just a quick suggestion-Pat Sloan is joining us on QCA this week to answer quilting questions. This question is just the kind of thing she can answer! Head on over to this forum: http://www.quiltersclubofamerica.com/forums/6558.aspx and post your question. Pat will be able to help you!!

Best,

QCA Rachel

• | Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Female
686 Posts
Points 13,080

Marianne, my husband works on these and he says start the machine while using the hand wheel, pulling the hand wheel toward you as you start using the foot treadle. You have to do them together at the beginning. The machine will go both ways, forward and backwards but will only sew in the forward directions. Does this make sense? 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
686 Posts
Points 13,080

Rachel, are only premium members able to ask questions? I tried to get on that forum and it denied access? 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
219 Posts
Points 10,580

Hi Michelle,

This time around, we are only opening up the forum to Premium Members. As this is our first time doing this, we will make some adjustments and test things out as more Quilt Stars join us on QCA.

Best,

QCA Rachel

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,542 Posts
Points 51,250
Ginny replied on Tue, Aug 12 2014 1:10 PM

I remember having to start my grandmother's treadle machine this way.  I think that is just the normal way to sew with these machines.   Wish that I still had her machine.  Sigh!     Ginny

Top 500 Contributor
Female
231 Posts
Points 3,565
Pat replied on Tue, Aug 12 2014 1:47 PM

Hi.  If you are on Facebook there is a wonderful group called Vintage sewing machines.  They have lots of files on how to clean and fix your machine.  

Pat   From Canada

Top 500 Contributor
Female
281 Posts
Points 4,280

Michelle, thank you very much for your reply.  I have been using the hand wheel to start the treadle, but I must be slow or something, because the machine  suddenly goes backwards and the thread beaks.  I guess it takes practice?  My mother sewed men's suits, dresses and everything on a treadle machine.  I can't recall her having the right hand on the hand wheel all the time. 

I guess it's back to the old treadle to practice?  The old machine sews a great looking stitch IF I get it to sew forward.

Marianne

Top 500 Contributor
Female
281 Posts
Points 4,280

Thanks Rachel, I will post her that question in  a club she leads on face book.

Marianne

Top 500 Contributor
Female
281 Posts
Points 4,280

Ginny, I understand your sentiment, because I wish I had brought my mother's sewing machine when we emigrated in 1969.  We brought a lot of wrong stuff and left some good things back in Berlin.

Marianne

Top 500 Contributor
Female
281 Posts
Points 4,280

Thank you very much Pat,

I haven't seen that club   yet.  But I found  a site called treadle on  http://www.treadleon.net/, But I haven't found an explanation if we need to adjust the treadle mechanism or if it's just clumsy me? 

Thanks again for your advise.

Marianne

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 5
Cogito replied on Wed, Aug 13 2014 7:50 AM

Marianne,

it just takes practice. You will create a rhythm and then it should sew smoothly. Practice without needle, thread until you become proficient at starting and stopping. It won't take long but it does take a little practice. :)

Not Ranked
2 Posts
Points 25

There is no brake on a treadle, so you should start it moving manually each time you start to sew. Left to start moving on its own, it might move the wrong way or the threads could get tangled around the bobbin.
Position your feet on the treadle so that it won't move until you are ready, pull both threads back with your left hand and hold so they won't tangle, then turn the handwheel toward you with your right hand. It sounds complicated but it isn't.

Not Ranked
2 Posts
Points 25

Some of the Singer 66 machines have a reverse lever so you can sew backwards, but if they don't have one, you can turn the handwheel towards the back and sew backwards. I do it all the time usually without any problems.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,451 Posts
Points 176,373
Marie replied on Wed, Aug 13 2014 9:15 AM

Marianne, lucky you!  It's a beauty!  No answer to your question but had to say 

Millbury, MA

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use