Hello to everyone

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 85
MissAnna Posted: Sun, Aug 10 2014 11:13 AM

I am new to quilting and so far I have made a few Baby quilts with basic stitching and a few Lap throws and 2 Crazy Quilts. So far I made up my own designs but need to learn how to make quilts from patterns.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,963
Points 368,547
Kris replied on Sun, Aug 10 2014 3:37 PM

Welcome Miss Anna.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,395
Points 37,770
Linda replied on Sun, Aug 10 2014 4:47 PM

Welcome Miss Anna. That's great that you've started out making quilts with your own designs. Most basic quilt books now have very good directions with diagrams. Before buying the book look thru it to make sure you understand it first. I wouldn't mail order your first book. Good luck.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,482
Points 417,124
gini replied on Sun, Aug 10 2014 11:32 PM

hi miss anna   welcome to the group

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 286
Points 4,335

Miss Anna, welcome and nice meeting you.  I'm also new to quilting and I find it so easy to follow the instructions on the Missouri Star Quilt Co.    Just take a look at this Irish chain quilt tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHfIXnk_W4A

Marianne

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,219
Points 16,415
Susan replied on Mon, Aug 11 2014 7:16 AM

Thanks, Marianne !  I did not see that tutorial before. I like it.   Susan

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,219
Points 16,415
Susan replied on Mon, Aug 11 2014 7:20 AM

Welcome, Miss Anna ! MSQC is a easy and fun site. Jenny is a great instructor . try it out !  Hope you enjoy QCA, as well. There are a lot of great quilters here willing to answer your questions.    Susan

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,574
Points 177,993
Marie replied on Mon, Aug 11 2014 7:53 AM

Hi and welcome MissAnna.  It's just the opposite with me, I need to learn how to make my own designs, no imagination unless it is planted in my brain.  Good luck with your patterns, I'm sure you'll do well.

Millbury, MA

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 286
Points 4,335

Marie,

It's the same with me.  Do  you have a design wall?  I don't and if I design anything it's by making a mistake.

Marianne

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 286
Points 4,335

Susan, you can sign up for their tutorials.  I get one in my inbox once a week and most of them are easy and great.

Marianne

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 85
MissAnna replied on Tue, Aug 12 2014 7:55 AM

Yes I have a design wall. I find it easy to come up with a design for a quilt sewing it into existence  is the challenge. 

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 85
MissAnna replied on Tue, Aug 12 2014 7:56 AM

Thank you to all for the the warm welcome. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,574
Points 177,993
Marie replied on Tue, Aug 12 2014 2:25 PM

Marianne, I do have a design wall but I use it for my patterned quilt blocks.  When I have to decide on a lay out it takes me forever and then I even question my final decision.  LOL

Millbury, MA

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 286
Points 4,335

Marie,

I'm that way with cutting fabric.  It's hard to cut good fabric since I used good fabric to sew clothing  for my kids.  Mostly my daughter and I had to make the same outfit for her doll when she was younger.  I found a solution to that problem, I ask my DH to cut the fabric. 

We don't have a design wall, we use the bed to lay the blocks on.  I have learned that it helps to mark small pieces of paper with row number and block number before taking them of to sew together.  We don't have much room left in this house since we purchased a quilting frame.  We had no idea how huge that thing would be.  Marianne

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,574
Points 177,993
Marie replied on Wed, Aug 13 2014 8:48 AM

Marianne, good solution to your cutting fabric!  Good husbands like that are hard to find.  I lost mine almost 6 years ago.

I mark my blocks like you do and also take a photo and put it into my "Quilts in progress" folder on line in case the paper falls off.  

My room is about to expand since my son and daughter in law will be moving by the end of the month to a house they rented.  They've been living in my basement.  I'm not sure if I'll move my entire sewing room down there or just part of it but it will relieve a lot of my clutter overflow in any case.  

Millbury, MA

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use